Renown Question for DMs

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Curious, but what do other DMs do when players switch characters after taking a thrashing... (i.e. down to 1-2 surges left)?

There is renown granted for a character surviving 12 encounters.... if the player decides to switch (for example) from a pre-gen to one they have created themselves and it is done at the convenient point that the pre-gen has 1 healing surge left after 2 encounters... Does this reset the counter for the 12 encounters survived?

I may be faced with this next week and I'm looking for input.

That's an interesting question, one I might face myself next week. I will probably rule in favor of the player as the renown award isn't all that much and encourages rather than penalizes a player to create their own character. Just my 2 cents.Smile

Founding member of the Star Wars Adventure Writers Guild Organizer of the NorCal Star Wars Gaming League Avatar image by artist Steve Criado of Fandom Comics PST (GMT-8) Evening and Weekend Gamer VTT: Fantasy Grounds

You could just have your player mark off healing surges used by previous pre-gen char. As well as spent Action Point and reduce current HP in accordind to pre-gen. For example:

Pre-Gen Sola before Swap
Healing Surges left: 2 of 9
Current HP: 21 0f 26 HP
Action Point used.

Reduce new char available heailng surges by 7 (if this reduces them to 0 healing surges you may consider letting them keep at least one).

Reduce new char current HP by 5, and inform them the will start with thier AP already spent.

This should keep things pretty balanced while allowing players to swap in desired char (espeially since CB was unavailable at season start) and still keep in line with the spirit of the survival renown achievement,
The 12 sessions with out Dying is specific to the Character...

That said, most DMs are willing to be leniant for the Pre-Gen to Player Made, as long as you don't try and abuse it...

As BoltHammer suggests... and honestly, most DMs are already doing... make sure you keep the damage and spent limited resources... Dailys, Surges, Action Points...

If you would rather go for the New Character full every thing, remember that the new character has not earned any milestones, nore survived any encounters...
Thanks guys,

I think that I will go with the '12 sessions per character'.  The reason I say this is due to overheard discussion.  It wasn't so much "Hey, this is cool! I want to make my own character now" so much as it was "Wow, I'm down to 1 healing surge, I think I'll bring in a new guy next week".

Which is what I was leaning towards to start with.

Oh, I started out Season 2 to track all that you said above... but now with 3 tables a night and about 4 tables of players in total... too much record keeping for whats its worth. 
Keep in mind it is very difficult to earn the 100RP award this season.  So I'd lean toward being lenient.
I'm in (or will be in) this exact situation. I'm playing one of the pregen characters because this is my first time playing Encounters, and I didn't own any of the Essentials sources in order to create my own character, and the Character Builder doesn't yet support Essentials.

Since the Official Character Tracker for this season of Encouters has a Renown category: Use Character Builder, I'm hoping I'll be able to transfer everything over once I'm able to actually build my own character.

Does anybody have any idea when Wizards is going to update the Character Builder? It's very annoying that they put out materials, and encourage you to use the Character Builder, but don't make it possible to do so.

- Rico
Most DMs are lenient about the Pre-Gen to homemade switch... and will generally count the player-made character as the same person...
I'm in (or will be in) this exact situation. I'm playing one of the pregen characters because this is my first time playing Encounters, and I didn't own any of the Essentials sources in order to create my own character, and the Character Builder doesn't yet support Essentials.

Since the Official Character Tracker for this season of Encouters has a Renown category: Use Character Builder, I'm hoping I'll be able to transfer everything over once I'm able to actually build my own character.

Does anybody have any idea when Wizards is going to update the Character Builder? It's very annoying that they put out materials, and encourage you to use the Character Builder, but don't make it possible to do so.

My response, in your situation, would be considering it the same character.  My only real concern was the use of 'bringing in a new character' as a way to avoid running out of healing surges and dying.

If a caster wants to run into battle and use 6 healing surges in 2 fights... then switch to a new character as he realises that he can't survive 2 more fights... then i won't reward them with a 'Survivor' bonus to reknown for living 12 encounters.  Totally situational in this case.

And yes, the 100 RP will be hard for anyone to get that even misses 2 sessions out of 20, so I am being lenient in other cases.  What I probably will do in the end is give out all the cards to anyone with 90+ RP... starting at the most cards and working down.  20 weeks is a long time (especially since it runs over the Christmas Holidays).
OK. So let me ask this. The renown tracker chart says you get 5 points for building an Essentials Character, and it says you get 5 points for building a Character Builder Character. Is that an either/or or a both/and? If/when the Character Builder finally supports Essentials, you use the Character Builder to build an Essentials Character, do you get 10 points?
- Rico
You are correct
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!