Red Mage Build

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I figured if anyone would know, it would be the CharOp group.

I am attempting to build a character that acts much like a Red Mage does in FFXI. Assuming that most people probably didn't play this game, I will explain:

Red Mages in FFXI are support/buffers/debuffers.
They inflict statuses such as Blind, Poison, Slow, Paralyze, Sleep, etc.
They basically debuff the crap out of the monsters and then sit back, heal and let the party fight.

I am interested in building a character that focuses on the debuffing aspect of the Red Mage. I have been tooling around with Bard, but that isn't exactly what I am looking for. Bards do excellent support and I love that, but I am looking for more statuses to inflict on the mobs that will make it easier for my party members to kill them quickly.

I am not very knowledgeable with building Hybrid's or Multiclass characters but I am certainly willing to build my Red Mage using these options.

Thanks for the help, everybody!
The hardest debuffer is probably the warlock. They have lots of imobilizes, prones, ongoing damages, stuff like that. After that it might be wizard. However, warlock doesn't have any healing. A hybrid warlock/bard (both use cha main, int second) would be a FEARSOME enemy debuffer/team buffer. You won't deal out a ton of damage, but your team will LOVE you.

Is this what you're looking for?
@propheticplatypus I'll definitely try building one! It sounds like what I'm looking for, indeed. I don't mind not dealing much damage, at all. I just want to be the most feared support class evar! Just kidding... But seriously, the most feared support class evar!
Well, that's exactly what you're looking for. Are you going to be starting from level 1? If you're starting at Paragon, your favorite feat is Psychic Lock. All psychic abilities give -2 to hit. Bard gives a psychic at-will that's -2 to hit. -4 to hit on an at will is sick!
Cleric has a lot of good debuffs as well (though maybe not as much as wizard or warlock), and they can heal. A cleric|warlock hybrid might be up yoru alley, too.
Yeah, but going Bard over Cleric allows you to get psychic fun... Still love my old bards encounter combo with vicious mockery that basically made my targets unable to hit for a round... action-pointed counter-point was for added fun(targets provokes OAs when they miss... I had a melee heavy party).
Sign In to post comments