What happened to the Nentir Vale Gazetteer?!

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's no longer showing in WotC's catalog and it disappeared from my Amazon wish list. So what gives? Is it dead? Is it being folded into another product?

I'm pretty disappointed. I was very much looking forward to getting more details regarding the default D&D world. 
Is that what the mystery "no longer available" item on my list was? No! This was one of the books I was looking forward to the most for 2011
I'm pretty disappointed.

Ditto.  I was super excited about the 2010 releases a couple months back, but every new development is like another punch in the gut.  Why?  2010 was going to be my year in D&D, the year that brought me back into this hobby hard core with a string of products that I actually wanted.  Now, its turning into the year of dissapointment for me.

At this point I'm looking forward to Heroes of Shadow with as much fear as hope, and that was going to be my favorite product.  Then there's the vanishing of the gazetteer.  At this point all they need is to drop Ravenloft, or give it Gamma-world levels of incompatibility with regular D&D, and my dissapointment will be complete.
I was looking forward to that product as well. Maybe it was just pushed back.
Yeah, I was looking forward to this book, too.  Bummer. 
NOES!!! I was looking forward to this one.
Surprised 

I was looking forward to it too.
This sucks I really was looking forward to it. Just another product that I don't have to buy, 2011 is looking very sparce for books to buy now.
The list of titles for 2011 keeps getting smaller and smaller. This is something I was really looking forward to. First there's no new campaign setting, the "Players Handbook Races" line has been cancelled, ditto the "Hammerfast" style line, now this one. And don't forgot there are no adventure modules listed for 2011.

It makes me wonder if the employees are being siphoned away to another project.  Maybe the new videogame?  Maybe a new spinoff like gammaworld?  Maybe .....  (wait for it)........   D&D 5th Edition?

*shiver*  Scary stuff.  Hopefully the Shadowfell boxed set is so freaking amazing it makes me forget all these other problems.
I just saw that the deluxe DM screen is gone too.

I think I was wrong. It was gone from my wish list because I'd placed an order for it.

The Nentir Vale Gazetteer is on the same order and still listed with  thumbnail pic of the book but when I try to open the link it gives a 404 Cry 
That was the only book on the 2011 schedule I was even vaguely interested in buying.  It would be nice if we could get some kind of official explanation about this.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

I wonder if that means the 2nd Monster Vault follow up for the Nentir Vale is gone too?
I wonder if that means the 2nd Monster Vault follow up for the Nentir Vale is gone too?

Where was that announced?  I never saw it in the catalog.  Maybe they are combining the two into a proper setting release for the summer?  That would be nice, but I hate waiting the extra 6 months.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Where was that announced?  I never saw it in the catalog.  Maybe they are combining the two into a proper setting release for the summer?  That would be nice, but I hate waiting the extra 6 months.

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Right HERE!  Scroll down to Second Quarter releases.  That and so much more is (was?) promised!
Aw man, you're right!  Damn there are so many things on that list I would buy and so far the only thing (remaining) in the Product Catalog is Heroes of Shadow.  :-(

Regards,

Kalex the Omen

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:

I guess everything that was actually interesting in the product release line was dumped in favour of Essentials.

The Nentir Vale Gazeteer was the item I was most eagerly anticipating.
I too was jazzed about the Nentir Vale book and am disappointed that it has vanished.  Nentir Vale reminds me of the old "Known World."  It has a great feel and I was looking forward to it being presented as a product.

I hope that they at least release that material in Dungeon.
Everyone is assuming that it is automatically gone. The thing isn't supposed to come out until the third quarter, for Pete's sake. So it dropped off the schedule. That doesn't mean it won't be put back on later.

Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
It was announced for first quarter.  when did they change it to 3rd?
Adventure Hook: Nentir Vale, an isolated valley among the mountains, has mysteriously vanished into the mists! Will brave adventurers uncover the secret of the vanishing valley....or will they disappear along with it?!
Adventure Hook: Nentir Vale, an isolated valley among the mountains, has mysteriously vanished into the mists! Will brave adventurers uncover the secret of the vanishing valley....or will they disappear along with it?!

How much gold and xp do I get if I find it?

You get to be king of nentir vale if you find it

meh......I'll take what's behind door number 3!

Strange women on the internet distributing quests is no basis for a system of government!

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Strange women on the internet distributing quests is no basis for a system of government!

Actually, I think it's a wonderful system of government. It'll probably work better than what most countries are currently doing Tongue out

Nentir Vale, I'm on my way!

signed,  the Man Who Would be King
It'll probably work better than what most countries are currently doing

Setting the bar pretty low, there...

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I second this disappointment.  That was the only thing in the future catalog that made me want to buy anything in the next year.  I really liked the Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth books as well as Dragonborn and Tiefling and thought that the Nentir Vale Gazetteer was going to be a very similiar background book.  Boo...

Has WOTC dropped the second line of pre-published adventures, too?  I haven't heard/seen an announcement for an adventure to follow up Orcs of Stonefang Pass... 
No adventures or mini's planned for 2011 based on the product catalog.  After the next few months of Essentials material there is not much at all planned for 2011.  A DM screen, Heroes of Shadow, and 1 set of tiles.  Not sure what is going on for the future.  I guess they want us to spend less money.
Don't forget about the Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale! I have no clue what happened to the Gazetteer, but this bad-boy looks awesome. Then again, I am partial Tongue out
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
Personally, I think WotC is holding their cards close to their chest, waiting to see how well Essentials does. If it does well, the entire catalog may change, and vice versa if it sells poorly.
I'll buy this product Matt if you find out what happened to the Gazetteer for me.  :P   Oh who am I kidding, of course I'll buy this anyway.
If you look in the Rules Compendium under the Worlds section, I believe the actually reference the Gazzetter:Nentir Vale product.
If you look in the Rules Compendium under the Worlds section, I believe the actually reference the Gazzetter:Nentir Vale product.

Yup.

Yup.

I wouldn't take that to mean anything. Remember all those ads for the character visualizer and virtual table top in the back of the DMG and PHB1?  I still laugh when I see them there. I bet the people at wizards must cringe when they see it. Oh what might have been....

So I think the reference to the Gazetteer in the Essentials books means squat until we actually have the book in our hands.  Once bitten, twice shy.
I'd consider it most likely that they're rearranging the schedule or revamping the product. Given the recent fondness for boxed sets, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with one for the Nentir Vale that amalgamates several previously-separate products.
I would love to know what happened to this as well, I had it pre-ordered...  at my FLGS who already has 50% of my money.
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT

Regards,

Kalex the Omen 

Right HERE!  Scroll down to Second Quarter releases.  That and so much more is (was?) promised!

There's quite a bit on that list that I'm very much looking forward to.
Heroes of the Fallen Lands / Forgotten Kingdoms (already own and love)
The Mark of Nerath (own and quite enjoyed) & The Abyssal Plague
Gazeteer: Nentir Vale (was really looking forward to this as an in-depth look at the Vale; hope it hasn't been canceled)
Heroes of Shadow
Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond (and I really hope that we get a similar product detailing the Feywild)
Conquest of Nerath  (like Risk with D&D elements... sounds fun)
Champions of the Heroic Tier (can't wait for core setting appropriate Themes and things like professions finally appearing in 4e)
Neverwinter Campaign Setting Guide (not 100% sure we needed another book for the Realms, but really looking forward the Bladesinger class)
Madness of Gardmore Abbey
The Ravenloft Roleplaying Game (I love Ravenloft, but I truly hope that it isn't incompatible with the rest of 4e the way Gamma World is... that would be a tragedy)

I'm really hoping that the Bladesinger is the Swordmage done right. I hope that the Bladesinger counts as a Fighter/Wizard (in the same manner as the Knight is a Fighter and the Mage is a Wizard.) This would allow the Bladesinger to take Utility powers from both the Fighter and Wizard lists and would make quite a lot of sense to me from a story / theme point of view (especially when you look back at the 3e Bladesinger.)
No adventures or mini's planned for 2011 based on the product catalog.  After the next few months of Essentials material there is not much at all planned for 2011.  A DM screen, Heroes of Shadow, and 1 set of tiles.  Not sure what is going on for the future.  I guess they want us to spend less money.

Looks like I'll be spending a lot less money.... starting with cancelling my DDI.

Advantage/Disadvantage is a TERRIBLE mechanic. DnD Next is DOOMED TO FAIL. Hasbro/WotC should do the DnD community a favor and sell the Intellectual Property to someone that won't keep screwing up...

Based on the lack of DDI icon, looks like you're pretty quick about this.
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT

So is the Gazeteer cancelled or not?

Still no news about the Gazeteer: Nentir Vale?
Sign In to post comments