Arc Trail Question

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can Arc Trail hit the same target with both affects?
No.  It says 'another', so it has to be a different target from the first.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Can someone else clarify, because to my understanding it would say a different target if it couldnt hit the same thing twice... the fact that it says another target would make me think that it would just being targeting 1 thing 2 times.
Can someone else clarify, because to my understanding it would say a different target if it couldnt hit the same thing twice... the fact that it says another target would make me think that it would just being targeting 1 thing 2 times.

The previous answer is correct.  You must choose two different targets.

This is also answered in the FAQ:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Can someone else clarify, because to my understanding it would say a different target if it couldnt hit the same thing twice...

It does.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/another
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Argus_Panoptes the definition of another does also mean: being one more or more of the same; further; additional.  I used your link and this is the first definition. Same target hit twice.  More of the same, right.
This question comes up all the time.  I asked it myself.

Rathn8r, I get that you can think of "another" as just being a second thing, and that intuitively it seems like you should be able to select the same target you just selected - after all, what's preventing you from doing that?  I feel the same way about the card to be honest.

But think about this - if someone sat you down in front of 8 pieces of pie, and told you to take a bite of one of them, and then take a bite of another, would you assume you could take two bites of the same piece?  I wouldn't.

Or perhaps you're standing in front of a bowl of candy, and you take one.  Then someone says that you can take another - are you going to "take" the one you have again?

Strictly speaking, "another",  by definition, means "distinctly different from whatever was just referenced" - in some way.  The wording on the card feels like it's giving you the option to simply split the damage and that it's ok to target the same creature if you really want to, but that's not the way they intended it.

They should really just erratta it to say "a different target creature or player".  I don't know why they haven't yet.   
I have a cake and another cake - how many cakes do I have?

Seriously, another means "something like the first, but NOT teh first itself".
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
This thread is more than a year old.