Thri-Kreen Racial Feats

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just putting together a few feats for Thri-kreen, and thought I'd share.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thri-Kreen Feats

Claw Ambush
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, rogue
Benefit: When you hit a creature with your thri-kreen claws racial power, that creature grants you combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Clutch Protector
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen
Benefit: Adjacent allies gain a +1 bonus to all defenses against attacks by creatures marked by you.

Grasping Claws
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on grab attacks.  When you grab a creature, it takes a -2 penalty on escape checks to escape the grab.  In addition, once per turn you can sustain a grab as a free action instead of a minor action.

Helping Hands
Benefit: Once per turn, when you fail a Thievery check you can re-roll the failed check.  You must use the second result, even if it is lower.

Hunter's Recall
Benefit: When you make a monster knowledge check, roll twice and use either result.

Hunting Pack Leader
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, warlord, Commanding Presence class feature
Benefit: When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an attack, that ally gains combat advantage against any enemy adjacent to itself and at least one other ally.

Instinctive Ambusher
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, battlemind, speed of thought power
Benefit: When you use your speed of thought, use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Charisma modifier to determine how far you move.

Memories of Power
Prerequisite: 11th level, thri-kreen, Psionic Augmentation class feature
Benefit: When you are first bloodied in an encounter, you regain 1 power point.

Multi-Claw Grappler
Prerequisite:
Thri-kreen
Benefit: Your lower arms count as one hand for the purposes of grabbing.  If you are not grabbing a creature with your lower arms, you count as having a free hand for grab attacks and attack powers that let you grab a creature.  This feat does not give you the ability to make attacks with your lower arms.

Multidexterity
Benefit: While wielding a melee weapon in each hand, you gain a +2 feat bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a melee weapon, and to the damage roll of your thri-kreen claws racial power.  The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Overpowering Claws
Prerequisite: 11th level, thri-kreen
Benefit: If you target only one creature with your thri-kreen claws racial power and hit it, you deal 3 extra damage and knock the target prone.  The extra damage increases to 4 at 21st level.

Raging Claw Frenzy
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, barbarian
Benefit: When you are raging, once per turn as a minor action you can deal 2 damage to one adjacent enemy.  This damage increases to 3 at 11th level and 5 at 21st level.

Remembered Weapon Talent
Benefit: You gain proficiency with the chatkcha and the gythka and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with such weapons.  The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Restraining Claws
Prerequisite: 11th level, thri-kreen
Benefit: When you are grabbing a creature, the creature is restrained instead of immobilized.

Thri-kreen Soul
Prerequisite: Revenant, thri-kreen
Benefit: You gain the thri-kreen claws thri-kreen racial power.  In a given encounter, you can use either your thri-kreen claws racial power or your dark reaping racial power.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Thoughts
Some thoughts:
These were thrown together quickly - I'll probably add more later.  Grasping Claws might be iffy, mechanically (it lets you wield two weapons, or a two-handed weapon, while grabbing).  Multi-Weapon Training isn't that special - no proficiencies, but the same scaling feat bonus as other racial weapon trainings.  I wanted something that made the race with four arms better at fighting with multiple weapons than other races.  Raging Claw Frenzy is probably iffy as well, if only for the minor action.  I guess it could be changed to: "While you are raging, when you make an attack you can deal 2 damage to one adjacent enemy that is not the target of the attack."  Hm.  Sounds better.  Remembered Weapon Talent is a traditional racial weapon training feat.  However, it only gives a limited selection of weapons, and a limited bonus.  Probably comparable to Xendrik Weapon Training (which gives Long Knife and Xendrik Boomerang).

Long time, no update, eh?
Added the Thri-kreen Soul feat - really a Revenant racial feat, but it seemed appropriate here.  Kind of obvious, but it came up in discussion, so... Tongue out
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I think Grasping claws has one major hole, the way it's worded allows you to grab up to 26 creatures.
The limit is 26 because that's the maximum number of creatures that can be adjacent to you. 
I think Grasping claws has one major hole, the way it's worded allows you to grab up to 26 creatures.
The limit is 26 because that's the maximum number of creatures that can be adjacent to you. 

I was going to limit it, but... what action lets you grab all adjacent creatures?  Is it possible?

Also, since sustaining a grab requires a minor action, he's only going to be able to keep grabbing... 3 creatures?

Anyways, yeah, putting a limit on it doesn't hurt anything.

"You can grab one [two?] creatures without using a hand."?

I'm not sure how to word it.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
How about: for the purposes of grappling you have one additional hand free?

or

You may grab one creature without a free hand.
How about: for the purposes of grappling you have one additional hand free?

or

You may grab one creature without a free hand.

Hm.  I like both of those.

So, what about...

Option A...

Grasping Claws
Benefit: You have an additional free hand when making a grab attack or using a power that lets you grab a creature.

or

Option B...

Grasping Claws
Benefit: If you are not already grabbing a creature, you count as having one hand free when making a grab attack or using a power that lets you grab a creature.
Feedback Disclaimer
B doesn't let you grab two creatures, while a could still be interpreted to allow for Katamari-kreen (although it's more of a stretch).

Yeah, that still doesn't work right.  Though a Katamari-Kreen is an awesome image.  Tongue out

What about going more toward the Clever Tail wording?

Benefit: Your lower arms count as one hand for the purposes of grabbing.  If you are not grabbing a creature with your lower arms, you count as having a free hand for grab attacks and attack powers that let you grab a creature.  This feat does not give you the ability to make attacks with your lower arms.

It strikes me that, in my quest to make a specific image a reality, I'm really glossing over some more "classic" ways of getting the same idea across (that they're better at grabbing, because they have multiple arms).

Grasping Claws
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on grab attacks and on the attack rolls for powers that let you grab a creature.  When you grab a creature, it takes a -2 penalty on escape checks to escape the grab.  In addition, once per turn you can sustain a grab as a free action instead of a minor action.

Could probably drop one of those three benefits, to make it cleaner (and probably more fair).  I'd drop the attack bonus before either of the others.

Or I could keep trying to make the first version work.  Tongue out
Feedback Disclaimer
You can do both.
Huh, I guess I could, yeah.  Tongue out

Well then, I'll split the names between...

Grasping Claws
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on grab attacks.  When you grab a creature, it takes a -2 penalty on escape checks to escape the grab.  In addition, once per turn you can sustain a grab as a free action instead of a minor action.

[Dropping the attack bonus partially so that it's only a bonus to grab attacks themself.]

and

Multi-Claw Grappler
Prerequisite:
Thri-kreen

[I'm assuming that one still needs some work, but that was the last version I posted.]
Feedback Disclaimer
Grasping might work better as You gain a +x to defenses when a creature attempts to escape your grab or something.
Grasping might work better as You gain a +x to defenses when a creature attempts to escape your grab or something.

Well, I think they're largely interchangeable in that situation.  I know powers typically provide a penalty to the escape check when they want to give a "harder to escape" effect.  I'd rather stick with the penalty, but I can see how a defense bonus might be more appropriate for a feat.
Feedback Disclaimer
Well since the checks to escape from a grab are against the fort and ref defense maybe the number needs to scale, and I've never seen a scaling penalty.
Scale?  No, I don't think it needs to.  The "feat bonus" feats (whatever they are, now) give the scaling bonus out - this is just a little extra on top.
Feedback Disclaimer
There is that.
Whole pile more feats.  Tongue out
Feedback Disclaimer
Isn't anything that looks especially broken to me but the crunch isn't my forte. If nothing else they all seem thematically appropriate.
Two things.

1.) Instinctive ambusher Bugs me because while it would make sense for kreen, and I know the feat you're basing it off of, Wisdom is the ability score used by the other Battlemind build and as such seems inappropriate.

2.) Multi-weapon has one issue I feel the need to point out. Since the Kreen is never given the ability to wield weapons in all four hands the feat is useless, unless they cut some hands off. 
If nothing else they all seem thematically appropriate.

It's always great to hear some support for the general ideas of homebrew stuff, in addition to mechanics.

1.) Instinctive ambusher Bugs me because while it would make sense for kreen, and I know the feat you're basing it off of, Wisdom is the ability score used by the other Battlemind build and as such seems inappropriate.

Totally agree.  It was one of those things I knew there was a problem with, but didn't like alternatives, so I just put it down as-is.

The alternative was keying the feat off of Dexterity - but at that point, it's an exact duplicate of the Elf feat (and that seems silly).

So Wisdom seems inappropriate (because of the other build)... but at the same time it makes some sense to me.  Kreen battleminds have the option to run the Resilient Battlemind build, but with a different feature-power choice (speed of thought instead of battle resilience).  They could already do something similar with the Harrier Battlemind feature-power (which would make it a good choice - but the teleporty/blinky flavor isn't how I picture the kreen, given their flavor as "desert hunters").

Hm.  Though even then, the Harrier build might be a better battlemind build to support with the Thri-kreen.  Make them a bit more distinct from Elves in the process...

What about, as an alternative:

Instinctive Retaliation
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, battlemind, persistent harrier power
Benefit: When you use your persistent harrier, the target takes damage equal to your Dexterity modifier whether your attack hits or misses.

It may be too much, but given that it's attached to a once-per-encounter feature-power...

I guess we could go some other crazy route. 

Benefit: When you use your persistent harrier, you gain a power bonus on the attack roll equal to your Dexterity modifier.

But I think that one's clearly a bit too much.

Hm.  Could do something like:

Hunting Harrier
Prerequisite: Thri-kreen, battlemind, persistent harrier power
Benefit: When you use your persistent harrier, you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn.

Bleh.  Who knows. 

2.) Multi-weapon has one issue I feel the need to point out. Since the Kreen is never given the ability to wield weapons in all four hands the feat is useless, unless they cut some hands off. 

Despite the name of the feat, and the actual physical characteristics of the Kreen, mechanically they only have two hands, like normal.  It's the same wording as used in the Two-Weapon feats, actually - just a mash-up of Two-Weapon Fighting and any of the [Race] Weapon Training feats.  With a slight bonus to the racial power as well.  Wink

Feedback Disclaimer
Well then Multi-weapon training is just bloody confusing. What are they doing that say a half-orc isn't?

Use dex for the Battle mind thing. Even if it is a clone of the elf feat it makes more sense. 
Well then Multi-weapon training is just bloody confusing. What are they doing that say a half-orc isn't?

Being more adept at using multiple hands for combat?  *shrugs*

Is it the name that's catching?  I'm actually thinking Multidexterity might be a better name.

Use dex for the Battle mind thing. Even if it is a clone of the elf feat it makes more sense. 

Feedback Disclaimer
Call it multidexterity.

Multi-weapon fighting carries the image of 3+ weapons spinning about.
Call it multidexterity.

Multi-weapon fighting carries the image of 3+ weapons spinning about.

To be fair, that's the image I had when writing it.  Wink  But that's mostly "fluff" and description.

But yes, Multidexterity is a much better name for it.  I'm changing it to that.... now.

Done. 
Feedback Disclaimer

I think Helping Hands would work better if more closely modelled after the Clever Tail feat for tieflings.

Here's what i suggest:

Helping Hands

Prerequisite: Thri-Kreen

You can use your lower set of arms for fine manipulation.  You can make Thievery checks with your lower arms, even while your upper arms are occupied.  You can even use Thieve's Tools with them.  In addition, once per round, you can use your lower arms to reload any weapon with the Load Minor trait as a free action.

EDIT: Also, multidexterity should count as Two-Weapon Fighting for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Why, a character can take both feats, and the bonuses will stack.

Frito's got it set up like a racial weapon trainer.

Huh?  Both Multidexterity and Remembered Weapon training are feat bonuses.
Two weapon fighting isn't. So it will stack with either one.

Hey look, a feat 3 months later!

Thri-kreen Soul
Prerequisite: Revenant, thri-kreen
Benefit: You gain the thri-kreen claws thri-kreen racial power.  In a given encounter, you can use either your thri-kreen claws racial power or your dark reaping racial power.
Feedback Disclaimer
I liked them a lot, but unless I am missing something, I don't see any real Monk support.

Just a suggestion, though.
While the kreen monk has always been well represented by players thanks to ability score synergy, and the deadly mess that multiple limbs makes of the 3e attack rules, It never seemed like a class their society would consider important enough to develop special techniques for.