DND Essentials errata?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wizards has not officially released these in the rules update yet or in the CB.  So far it's only 'planned changes.'

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Does anyone has a date when these take effect for LFR?

The last update I can access from www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/u... is July 2010.  
There are at least two arguments that they are effective right now:
* Both of the Essentials books are "printed rulebooks" which are legal rules sources in the campaign.  It doesn't matter that they're not player resources--the DMG isn't, either, but we've been using the rules found in that since the beginning.  Players obviously can't use new rules found in those books for their PCs, but arguably DMs should be using the updates of old rules right now.
* The news item in which those updates appeared would fall under "Updates posted on the official Wizards website (through D&D Insider or as news items)", also an official rules source.  It doesn't matter that it's not yet an "official D&D rules update", because that's a separate category.

Arguably, you don't even get the benefit of the 30-day delay, since that only applies to "official rules updates ... published by Wizards of the Coast on the official update site", not printed rulebooks or news items.

On the other hand, it seems a bit unfair to give players the disadvantages of Essentials without the advantages (sorcerers lose Weapon Focus without gaining access to Implement Focus, for example).
Bgibbons summed it up. Personally I am using the Rules Compendium rules (with permission of the players), and most of the errata. I have not been using the errata in situations like the sorcerer one mentioned by Bgibbons. Greg is working hard on the impact of the Essential line, and the new CCG. I suspect something is going to be posted soon at the LFR blog for people to discuss.
Arguably, you don't even get the benefit of the 30-day delay, since that only applies to "official rules updates ... published by Wizards of the Coast on the official update site", not printed rulebooks or news items.

From the Living Forgotten Realms CCG:
Official rules updates are effective for the campaign 30 calendar days after they are published by Wizards of the Coast on the official update site. Players who are able to incorporate the updates into their characters sooner than 30 days are encouraged to do so. After 30 days DMs must enforce the rules updates and characters that haven't been corrected are not legal for play.

Emphasis mine.  Rules updates are MANDATORY 30 days after release, but you CAN use them earlier.

Since the October rules updates included the Essentials errata (the incremental update doesn't list them, but the complete document DOES), that means that you can now use the update for your character.