Necrotic Ooze and levelers

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
necrotic ooze can take advantage of actovated abilitlies of creatures in the graveyard, so what if you have say guul draz assassin in your GY. what abilities does the ooze have?  The level up ability i waould assume is useless but does it have the tap to give target creature -2/-2 or -4/-4 abilities?  They are activated abilities.
The Ooze will gain the level up ability but will not gain the other abilities printed on the level up creature because it won't receive the static ability the level up creature has that grants it the other abilities.

So, you can activate level up but it will be mostly useless because it will never gain the other abilities no matter how many level up counters it has on it. 
but the ooze says ALL activated abilities of all creatures, so shouldnt it have the other abilities?
Most level up creatures only have one activated ability, the Level Up itself. The rest that it can receive are granted by static abilities. Since the Ooze does not gain these static abilities it will never meet the condition to receive them.

710.2. A level symbol is a keyword ability that represents a static ability. The level symbol includes either a range of numbers, indicated here as "N1-N2," or a single number followed by a plus sign, indicated here as "N3+." Any abilities printed within the same text box striation as a level symbol are part of its static ability. The same is true of the power/toughness box printed within that striation, indicated here as "[P/T]."

710.2a "{LEVEL N1-N2} [Abilities] [P/T]" means "As long as this creature has at least N1 level counters on it, but no more than N2 level counters on it, it's [P/T] and has [abilities]."

710.2b "{LEVEL N3+} [Abilities] [P/T]" means "As long as this creature has N3 or more level counters on it, it's [P/T] and has [abilities]."

you are probably right but can i get a riles advisor to confirm this?

MajinViv0 quoted the appropriate rule.  Continuing to doubt him is kinda rude.  (He's correct, by the way.)

Why? You already got a rules quote:
710.2. A level symbol is a keyword ability that represents a static ability.

And, as it clearly says, Necrotic Ooze copies only Activated abilities, not static ones.
Therefore, Necrotic Ooze will not copy any of the level abilities of a leveller in a graveyard. It will copy the level-up ability, which is activated, anc can therby gain level counters, but they won't do anything because that's regulated by the level abilities.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
Sign In to post comments