Scars of Mirrodin: Best Multiplayer Cards

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, the full SoM spoiler is out, prerelease is tomorrow, the cards are hitting Gatherer as I type (yay autocards!), people are posting threads in the MP forum with SoM cards in them... I'm calling it as time for this thread.

The Rules:
  1. Tell me which card(s) from SoM are the best in your multiplayer environment. The ones that are going to win you MP games, or turn your playgroup on its head.

2. I'll keep tally here.

3. I vote first. Nyah.

The Tally
5 Votes
Exsanguinate

1 Vote

Bellowing Tanglewurm
Blunt the Assault
Carnifex Demon
Chimeric Mass
Culling Dais
Genesis Wave
Glimmerpoint Stag
Liquimetal Coating
Skinrender
Sword of Body and Mind
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
In accordance with Rule #3. ;)

I absolutely want to build decks with Grand Architect, Inexorable Tide, Genesis Wave and Asceticism.
And I already need lots of copies of Blunt the Assault, Cerebral Eruption, Molten Psyche, Ezuri, Renegade Leader, Liquimetal Coating, Nim Deathmantle, Prototype Portal, Glimmerpost.... damn you, Wizards. This set is going to cost me a lot of money.

But my vote absolutely has to go to Exsanguinate. It's a finisher of the highest order, and something black has wanted for a while. I suspect Tich's gone on a week's bender after seeing the spoiler for this card.
I'm going to be killing people with this for a long time (and people are going to be killing me with it too). I already want to pair it with Sanguine Bond for the ultimate finish. And it's uncommon, so everyone's going to find copies. Brutal stuff.

There's a lot of really fantastic looking stuff in this set in all colors - from White, Blue, Black, Red, Green, Multi-Colored and, obviously, Colorless.

If I had to name one, it would ultimately come down to Precursor Golem vs Chimeric Mass.  Both can go into any deck, which greatly ups their usefulness.  Chimeric Mass is fetchable with Trinket Mage (with swanky new art to boot) while Precursor Golem is insane with anything that targets (I'm looking at you, Rite of Replication).  My vote has to be with the Chimera, though, since it'll be a massive beater that will animate to win attrition wars post Wrath and post Geddon.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Exsanguinate gets my vote. That card blows my mind. As per usual, here's my take on how the set affects Black:

Blistergrub
A mindly evasive beater with a semi-relevant ability. Pretty weak overall, much like Infectious Horror is. Not really worth using.

Carnifex Demon
This is a very intriguing card, and it falls very much in line with what Black mages want to accomplish. It's very agressively costed at 6 mana, as the card itself is essentially a 6/6 flyer. The obviously synergy is with Proliferate, turning him into a walking Mutilate essentially, and he combos amazingly well himself. With 2 of these out, you can wipe the board every turn.However, I think his best home will be in Wither decks featuring Necroskitter, Crumbling Ashes, Kulrath Knight, etc. He's Midnight Banshee 5-8 in my mind. Not a game breaker, but he'll certainly find homes around the kitchen table.

Exsanguinate
O.O Wow. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I've been championing Bond of Agony on these forums for the better part of a year now stating how good it is as a finisher. This card... blows my freaking mind. I really can't even compare it to Syphon Soul or Blood Tithe because it's a joke to even try to. Every Black player NEEDS 4 of these because every multiplayer Black deck or every deck even playing Black should seriously consider running these monsters. It doesn't even target so say good bye to Ivory Mask decks running you over. Pick these things up! When your friends buy boxes and have tons of extra uncommons, ask for these. This card in the single best money investment and wholly worth buying. I wish I had something really insightful to say about this card, but it's just sheer power. It's one of those absurd Balance-esque spells that is just devastating no matter what. I'm just shocked that Wizards actually printed this, because it's going to break my big mana, Maga, Traitor to Mortals EDH deck in half.

Geth, Lord of the Vault
This is the kind of card that will likely get hated out and unceremoniously killed on sight, and the high mana cost and no protection really doesn't dissuade that course of action. Still, it's an evasive beater with an incredible ability that can allow it to single handidly win games. EDH players in particular know how much artifact acceleration is used, and reviving that and then reviving an army will just make this guy a must have for Black EDH decks. Cabal Coffers, Nirkana Revenant and much more can all allow Black mages to generate enormous sums of mana, and so this monster has so much potential. The strongest thing that this card has going for it, in my mind, is that it's a zombie. I say that because if you don't have 100 ways of reviving him, like Lord of the Undead or Unholy Grotto + Graveborn Muse, backed up by say Oversold Cemetery and maybe Phyrexian Reclamation, he's never going to stay in play long enough to do anything. Zombies also have lots of relevant lords to reduce his mana cost and buff his p/t, making him that much harder to kill and also that much of a stronger beater (he is a 5/5 with evasion for 6 after all).

Ichor Rats
Very strong candidate for any poison counter, proliferate based deck. More often than not this card will come down, start the poison counter madness, and then scare off potential attacks with that 2 power + Infect.If nothing else it'll trade and/or cripple something trying to mess with you.

Painful Quandary
This is one of those cards that I'm torn on. Usually when I read a Black card, I can instantly tell if I'll love it or hate it for multiplayer. That wasn't the case for this one. I know it may seem like an obvious multiplayer bomb, but it's really not. If you like it for the discard, why not use Oppression instead? If you like it for the life loss, why not use say Quest for the Nihil Stone and such that punish people for having no cards in hand? I guess I've always hated choice, and this is a card that let's your opponent decide their own fate. I think that I would have preferred a card that cost 4 mana and only caused 3 life loss or something similar. At 5 mana, it feels too slow to really be a game breaker, especially since you can't pick the effect you'll be getting. I can't say it's a bad card, but I think it'll be an overhyped card that won't see much play in the long run.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
This is, in my opinion, the gem of set for Black. It's given it an entirely new tool in the form of a fearsome dragon that oozes flavor. Before I even discuss the card's abilities, just look at the basics. It's a 5 mana 4/4 flying with Infect. That is fearsome. This creature kills in 3 attacks, even though it's only going to be 2 for all intents and purposes. Proliferate and such will always take care of the last 2 counters. At 5 mana, in a color with Dark Ritual, that is INSANE. Imagine powering him out on turn 3 and killing someone by turn 5 or so. You've committed nothing and already taken someone out. That's just where it starts though, because the card only gets better from here. For a single black mana, we can give this guy haste! Some people will look at this and think "so what, it just means that on turn 6 and on he has haste?" No! We are playing Black, and Black has by far the best revival in the game. Be it Oversold Cemetery or Phyrexian Reclamation, we can revive this badboy every time he's killed and swing with our hasted, 2-3 hit killing machine! You want to block him? So be it, you get -4/-4 forever, so if you're not dead, you're crippled. In Proliferate decks this may as well be an instant kill. Now, conceivably a creature like Baneslayer Angel could have blocked and killed this guy with First Strike, but that's where his last ability comes into play. For 2 mana we can regenrate him too? Are you insane? There's almost nothing out there that do anything to stop this monster. Sure, Commander Eesha, but let's get real. This is the kind of card that break playgroups, because suddenly the people who gain infinite life and play Wrath of God look at this card and cry when they realize that it gets past everything. You will see this creature as an EDH general and you will see him at your kitchen table games, because this is something altogether special from what Black has seen before.

Argentum Armor, Steel Hellkite, Ratchet Bomb, Lux Cannon
Anytime there's an artifact that can destroy artifacts and/or enchantments, I consider it to be a good card for Black. It's so hard to do that without blowing up the world, as we see in All is Dust, Oblivion Stone, etc. This card gives you the option to destroy say Ivory Mask, but not your own Necropotence, which I like a lot. It's something to keep in your pocket.

Chimeric Mass
Beautiful, beautiful card for black mages. It's so easy to lay this card down at 5 counters or so and simply Pox and Smallpox everyone's lands away while you beat away with your 5/5 fueled by a Charcoal Diamond/ The problem with old cards like Chimeric Idol was that they needed tons of mana at all times, and so black mages couldn't Death Cloud everyone's lands away and then use them to win. This one only needs 1 mana, and so you can make it huge with Cabal Coffers, and even if you lose all your lands, by your own hand or not (Balance getting you down?), you can still swing with a gargantuan creature.

Clone Shell
Wanna cheat Emrakul, the Aeons Torn into play? Clone Shell + Vampiric Tutor/Cruel Tutor/Liliana Vess/Insidious Dreams/Sensei's Divining Top/Crystal Ball... you get the idea. It's so easy to stack your deck playing Black and use this Clone to cheat your your most powerful creature into play.

Contagion Clasp + Contagion Engine + Throne of Geth
These are the perfect cards for your Black wither decks featuring Crumbling Ashes, Midnight Banshee, Necroskitter, etc. They're both proliferate engines and both help with the -1/-1 counter theme. They're obvious great for poison counter decks too, and can make lowly creatures like Ichor Rats game enders after a few turns. It's always nice to help your Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon kill in 2 hits instead of 3, if you can't find a good way to constantly boost his power to at least 5.

Platinum Emperion
Well, it lets Ad Nauseam draw your entire deck if you want, but makes cards like Yawgmoth's Bargain useless. Overall not a very good card. I just want to say how much I dislike cards like this and Platinum Angel, especially in black decks, and that I don't suggest using them.

Venser's Journal
Necropotence and Yawgmoth's Bargain both say hello. A must have for every Black mage.

Wurmcoil Engine
Other than being an auto include in every EDH deck, just remember how powerful this card is with revival in general. Phyrexian Reclamation will cost you 2 life to revive what? 9 life worth of lifelink power? This is just an insane card for every color, but it's even more insane if you can revive it every turn.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Leonin Arbiter - With the number of sac lands that get played, I want to believe that this will have an impact. It probably won't as Aven Mindcensor had little effect on my playgroup.
Revoke Existance - Solid piece of removal. Half the cost of Return to Dust, but you only get half the removal, and can't choose to use it at instant speed (for the same effect, likely). Good, but nothing that hasn't been seen before.
Sunblast Angel - Might encourage more Kismet being played.
Sunspear Shikari - Will see play (since it is a common), as a more splashable Knight of Meadowgrain. This is probably more likely in a new monowhite EDH cat tribal deck. Once again, we have seen this before.
True Conviction - Lifelike and Double Strike are very powerful abilities for MP. As a rare that isn't likely to see constructed play because of its mana cost, I expect some players in my group to pick it up on the cheap. This is probably whites strongest MP card.

Dissipation Field - Blues version of Aurification, except it works on permanents (not just creatures), and it does the logical thing for blue (bounce). This seems very interesting since it might bounce Pestilence as well as keep creatures (without EtB triggers) from attacking.
Inexorable Tide - This one will undoubtably be seen at MP tables for years to come. Having a way to cheat extra counters on Planeswalkers, Charge counters on your artifacts, -1/-1 counters on your opponents creatures, Age counters on your opponents creatures, etc. is a very powerful ability (not to mention Posion).

Blistergrub - Infectious Horror done right. Your opponents won't be jumping over each other trying to kill this creature (unlike the Horror).
Exsanguinate - This will be the new Bond of Agony, but about 4x worse for your opponents. This is by far blacks best new spell from Scars of Mirrodin.
Ichor Rats - I expect poison decks to be popular in the coming months with all the Infect creatures and Tainted Strike.
Necrotic Ooze - Very interesting ability. Would only be extremely powerful in a deck. It is nice to see some interesting Pigeon cards that don't scream "play me, play me".

Red looks really weak in this set for MP.

Bellowing Tanglewurm - An interesting twist for green and getting damage through.
Asceticism - I think the mana cost for this might not make its ability that relevant.
Carrion Call - will get played in infect builds. Instant speed blockers/pseudo hasty attackers are always nice.
Copperhorn Scout - As a common, I expect many people to get this and try to abuse it with mana dorks and perhaps...Giantomancer
Genesis Wave - This seems like a Johnny card that someone will break open in MP. It isn't unusual for players to generate 8-15 mana with the right lands Gaea's Cradle, 8-Post (soon to be 12-post). A one sided Hypergenesis effect where you don't even need to have the cards in your hand seems extremely powerful. And since most MP decks focus on permanents, you are probably fairly likely to hit >50% nonland cards (this is even easier now with Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, and Yavimaya Elder). This is the most powerful Green spell.

Chimeric Mass - In decks that generate a lot of mana, this will be an excellent finisher that gets around sorcery speed creature removal. I still don't think it is better than Chimeric Egg, but I can see its power in the right deck.
Clone Shell - A way to cheat Eldrazi onto the battlefield, too bad this doesn't put the card onto the battlefield and then flip it or Morph creatures could also have been used with it.
Contagion Clasp/Contagion Engine - Someone in my group will build a deck around this.
Culling Dais - Did WotC finally get Phyrexian Vault right? I think so. This card is good in MP.
Darksteel Axe - EDH equipment? I am not sure.
Echo Circlet - It is always difficult to attack in MP, because it is difficult to have enough defenders to protect yourself from 2+ attack phases that might be headed you way. This common isn't too bad.
Golem Foundry - A token generator is always nice in MP, a little too slow though. This will likely only see play with the new Ink-Treader Nephilim Golem that only targets other golems. Obviously with stuff like Echoing Courage, Crimson Wisps, et. al.
Infiltration Lens - Makes your creature unblockable (who wants to give you two cards?)
Moriok Replica/Sylvok Replica - Better than the last set of Replicas.
Myr Galvanizer - Lords are popular in MP. This will see play in an infinite mana deck.
Nihil Spellbomb - The only decent Spellbomb in my opinion.
Prototype Portal - This is the most powerful Artifact spell in the new set. It is extremly abuseable, and is playable in any color deck.

The new dual lands are nice, but Glimmerpost will have the most impact on MP. I expect many players to bust out their old Cloudposts, and if 2 players were lucky enough to both pick that deck during the same round...look out.

So which one is the most powerful, and most likely to have the biggest impact on my playgroup (now) and for years to come. It is a toss up...
Genesis Wave and/or Exsanguinate

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

This is no contest: Exsanguinate

Now since I personally am of the opinion that it is absurd that they printed that (like black needed such a card to be good, black is one of the best multiplayer colors) and I will ban it from every game I ever play because it is lame to loose to a big coffeepot powered X spell (Consume Spirit even hardly sees play because it is such a cheap trick).

So I will also name my personal favorite: Ezuri, Renegade Leader
What else did you expect? My nickname in some playgroups isn't Elfboy for nothing. He also is legendary making my Tolsimir Wolfblood EDH deck loose it's white as soon as I have him.

Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
The real winner of course is Exsanguinate. I dumped Consume Spirit from my deck because Blood Tithe was released, but now that I have a Consume Spirit that scales, I no longer need the Blood Tithes.

However, because it will already dominate this thread, my vote goes to Sword of Body and Mind, because it keeps both your hand and your board full. After a while, you don't need another creature with it, because you can equip your own Wolves. It is only the fourth Equipment that can do that, and the other 3 are already pretty established goodies as far as equipment goes.
Exsanguinate is clearly the best multiplayer card from Scars.  It's just disgustingly good.

Kuldotha Phoenix is probably a card that I like more than I should.  A big, hasty, recursive flyer just makes me smile.

Genesis Wave will probably become the new green ramp spell of choice.  Even flopping out 4 or 5 permanents should be pretty solid.

Liquimetal Coating is probably my favorite new card.  It's an innocent looking card that can have a myriad of uses.  I know I'll be playing it in red decks along with Viashino Heretic and Shattering Pulse.  Finally, a way for red to give a big middle finger to enchantments!

Precursor Golem is going to see many tricks involving many colors.  Plus, he's a solid enough creature that you don't even need to run anything tricky with him.

Wurmcoil Engine is a card I expect to show up A LOT.  It's aggresively costed, it's not limited by color, it doesn't mind (maybe even likes) to die, and, as an artifact and a creature, it can be recurred by every color.  It's very good.

Liquimetal Coating is probably my favorite new card.  It's an innocent looking card that can have a myriad of uses.  I know I'll be playing it in red decks along with Viashino Heretic and Shattering Pulse.  Finally, a way for red to give a big middle finger to enchantments!

I haven't looked at it that way, but that is pretty solid. Too bad you practically have to build around it in order to use it properly, but it's a decent effect nonetheless.

I haven't looked at it that way, but that is pretty solid. Too bad you practically have to build around it in order to use it properly, but it's a decent effect nonetheless.

Doesn't matter. You have no idea how awesome it is to be able to play black and have a real reason to use Xenic Poltergeist, Phyrexian Tribute and Gate to Phyrexia, especially in EDH. Being able to destroy ENCHANTMENTS without having to use say All is Dust and nuking yourself is just amazing. Lux Cannon is pretty badass too though, since it gives everyone a re-usable Vindicate. But still, Liquimetal Coating is a much loved card by me, as a Black mage . Ratchet Bomb is a massive upgrade over Powder Keg too, great for killing Jaces, enchants, etc.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies

Back, and updating the thread tally. Fire away!

Welcome back, Cadaverous!  The place just wasn't the same without you.

"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I am going to say some non-rare possibilities.

Glimmerpoint Stag
Multiplayer is the place for comes into play abilities to thrive. This card could get plenty of action even just off the spells from Scars like Sunblast Angel and Skinrender.

Skinrender
Hitting artifacts and leaving a larger body behind, eh. Might not see a lot of play but with Zombie Lords he could make it. Those pet Blowfly Infestation/Flourishing Defense decks got better!

Bellowing Tanglewurm
Green and green hybrid creatures have a million ways to get to 1 Million/1 Million, but they don't come with evasion. This is a little evasion for the whole Green Team.

Blunt The Assault
This card is half of a universally loathed/beloved card, Congregate, in the best token generation color, with a Fog rider. I think this will show itself to be popular at Multiplayer tables for quite some time. If it shows itself to be worthy will be another matter all together.

Culling Dais
Good sacrifice outlet for lots of decks that need it. Good interaction with other cards and Proliferate.

Skinrender
Hitting artifacts and leaving a larger body behind, eh. Might not see a lot of play but with Zombie Lords he could make it. Those pet Blowfly Infestation/Flourishing Defense decks got better!

I agree with every one of your choices (although I'm a bit more hesitant about Culling Dais than you are - any kind of draw in Red or White is always welcome).  I'm incredibly enthusiastic about Skinrender, though, and it's going strait into my mono Black Wither deck.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Sign In to post comments