9/24/2010 LD: "Prerelease Preparations"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
inflect creatures and normal creatures work out pretty well together on defense, it's just that on offense, they kinda want to do different ways :P.

still, if you have a high power infect creature, it can win on its own really easily.

Just as planned, eh, MaRo :p.
I think that the only reason to add an Infect creature to a deck is when it has some other attribute useful to your deck.  In my U Artifact deck idea I have Ichorclaw Myr.  It is in there because it is a cheap artifact creature.  A side effect of having it in there is that if I get the opportunity I can poison my opponent since I have a fair number of proliferate cards in my deck.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'd dearly love to go to a Prerelease this weekend - either the regional London one or one of the local Cambridge ones - but sadly a family wedding clashes. We'll probably be having a SoM draft at home in a couple of weeks instead, getting some friends over.
Since Tom didn't deliver any meat with his article again, I'd like to take the opportunity and pose a question that I haven't seen answered anywhere on the mothership:

Why is the whole set spoiled before the prerelease?

Or to put it another way:

What's the difference between release and prerelease when the whole set is officially spoiled beforehand?
Where's the poll option for "Would have gone, but you scheduled it the weekend after Civ 5 came out"?

What's the difference between release and prerelease when the whole set is officially spoiled beforehand?

You don't have to look at the spoilers if you don't want to. It makes sense for them to put up the whole set a few days before the prerelease to cut down on people going to you-know-where to look at it. This weekend can still be called a "prerelease" because the cards won't be available for unlimited purchase until next weekend.
Since Tom didn't deliver any meat with his article again, I'd like to take the opportunity and pose a question that I haven't seen answered anywhere on the mothership:

I think you're asking the wrong question. Many of us always felt it was silly to withhold the set information until right before the pre-release. Many other games would release their complete sets a few weeks before they became available to allow players to begin learning them.

I think at this point now having the two events is just another way to keep folks coming in with promo items and such. Like I can't make this weekend's but I'll probably try to make the next one.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I'd dearly love to go to a Prerelease this weekend - either the regional London one or one of the local Cambridge ones - but sadly a family wedding clashes. We'll probably be having a SoM draft at home in a couple of weeks instead, getting some friends over.

I am going to the Cambridge Pre-release tomorrow - I have never been there before. I normally play in Peterborough, but we just have Launch Parties, not Pre-releases (I am going there next weekend). Last time I went to a Pre-re was WWK @ Nottingham (had a great day but unfortunately they have switched to Sundays now due to parking considerations, and I cant get there then because of the trains...).

I am really excited about the next couple of weeks of Magic - I even have my last pre-rotation Standard tournament this Sunday (where I will be going retro with a Master Transmuter deck while I still can).

Cheers

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

I think you're asking the wrong question. Many of us always felt it was silly to withhold the set information until right before the pre-release. Many other games would release their complete sets a few weeks before they became available to allow players to begin learning them.

I think at this point now having the two events is just another way to keep folks coming in with promo items and such. Like I can't make this weekend's but I'll probably try to make the next one.  

Oooh, maybe they'll add a pre-pre-release with a different promo card the weekend before they release the full spoiler XD

If they want to have prereleases for free, maybe then people will happily be surprised by everything. Otherwise, for $30, which is far too much for the product they give, I want to give myself a chance to win more product. It is extremely fair that someone would want a chance to get as much information as possible as opposed to paying $30 for a pig in a poke. There are obviously far more people who want this information as soon as possible than people who like to wait, which is why WOTC is getting ahead of the unauthorized leaks.

The difference between release and prerelease is that when you are done playing you can't get a box of new product on the way out. That is still pretty significant. It is less significiant only having a week to wait, and it is less special when held in card shops, but those are other matters. The simple truth is if you don't want the information, don't come to the place where they give you the information.
If they want to have prereleases for free, maybe then people will happily be surprised by everything. Otherwise, for $30, which is far too much for the product they give, I want to give myself a chance to win more product. It is extremely fair that someone would want a chance to get as much information as possible as opposed to paying $30 for a pig in a poke. There are obviously far more people who want this information as soon as possible than people who like to wait, which is why WOTC is getting ahead of the unauthorized leaks. 

The difference between release and prerelease is that when you are done playing you can't get a box of new product on the way out. That is still pretty significant. It is less significiant only having a week to wait, and it is less special when held in card shops, but those are other matters. The simple truth is if you don't want the information, don't come to the place where they give you the information.

I'm not trying to contradict your point, but where are you paying $30 for a prerelease?  It's $25 (or less) pretty much everywhere I've been to, which includes stores in North Carolina, Maryland, Oregon, and California.

I haven't been able to attend a big prerelease since they eliminated most of them, however, which makes me sad.

Speaking of sad, it looks like people just voted for the high dollar Mythics again.  Quicksilver Gargantuan is awesome and needs more love.  It's a great card for Johnny-Timmy-Spikes!  (Combo creature with a splashy effect and a high enough power/cost ratio to be dangerous, at least in less cutthroat environments.)

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Its $30 at my local store.  Its a tiny thing, probably gets hardly anyone showing up.  I cant go because these things are almost always on off pay-weeks.  Stupid bills.
I'm not trying to contradict your point, but where are you paying $30 for a prerelease?  It's $25 (or less) pretty much everywhere I've been to, which includes stores in North Carolina, Maryland, Oregon, and California.

Seattle. I can;t remember the last time they were less than $30 to be honest. Possibly Future Sight.
I really hated the prerelease today. I love 2HG and poison has totally ruined it. Every game was decided by poison, usually in one turn and in a way that made the rest of the game redundant. It seems okay in Sealed but there's nothing beyond super expensive planeswalkers that is fun about this set. When I say fun, planeswalkers are only fun if they're on your side :/

It's been a long time since I disliked a set but every one I talked to today had a similar feeling of disappointment. 
Once again, I would like to comment that I attend a prerelase that's neither a regional prerelease nor a local STORE prerelase.  I attend a prerelease at a WPN location that's not a store, and I would appreciate being repreasented in the polls instead of sumbitting false poll information.  Thanks.

Also, more on topic, I only pay $15 for my prerelease, and that's for at minimum 7 packs, with a minimum total of 6 boxes of prize product.  We do have a pretty good deal with a local magic retailer who is donating a good portion of the product.  If anyone else prereleases at a non-profit location (as I do), talk to local retailers to get your prerelease price down, if it's $25 or more.  It's not impossible to find relatively inexpensive prereleases.

www.ccgamers.org
Just to point it out, the guy who paid $30 may have been from a different country to you guys.  I'm in Australia, and they are $35 here.  Exchange rate and all that.
Before the change to store and regional prereleases, the state prereleases I attended costed $30 (although there were special multi event price packages that lowered the cost of a single prerelease).  The store prerelease I usually attend costs $25.  I am from Indiana by the way.  I know that there are other prerelease locations in my area, but I have been just fine paying $25 every three months that I haven't bothered to find any place cheaper.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I think this may have played a bigger part in the change of procedure than most realize. WOTC may have gotten tired of coughcoughcough getting all the attention in pre-release week. I still go there for the different POV's, but it's nice that the mothership has really stepped up for the past several sets. 

Also, $27 USD for my pre-release. I couldn't make it this past weekend, will try for this weekend.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Sign In to post comments