First Session, Complete No-Show. How to continue?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys. This is my first season of Encounters and I've taken it upon myself to organize the event. Unfortunately it seems I'm off to a rocky start, as the first session didn't run. Assuming I get enough players to run next week, how do you think I should continue? Should I just summarize the entire introduction to the adventure? Should I start next week and just be one session behind? Should I try to fit both encounters into a night of gaming next week in a more normal sized session if people are up for it?

Just uncertain on how to go about this... 
Planes Wanderer
A double session is doable, I think in both previous seasons the table I played at wound up having to do that at least once (one time due to player absences, another because our DM was travelling to GenCon). Or you might schedule an extra session on a different night to catch up. It all depends on what your players want to do and are able to fit into their schedules, so I'd talk it over with them next week & see what they think.
start a week behind or double encounter. Don't simply summarize the first week and move forward. Great opportunity to RP.
If anything, I'd run the first session and skip/summarise the second one. The ambush isn't really required - just run the return to the tavern/Benwick from the start of the second chapter at the end of the first session, then make the second session as they're leaving the tavern for the night they see the fire at the bank.
start a week behind or double encounter. Don't simply summarize the first week and move forward. Great opportunity to RP.

Agreed.  The first encounter is excellent and sets the stage for the whole chapter.  I wouldn't skip session #1 for anything. 
Hey guys. This is my first season of Encounters and I've taken it upon myself to organize the event. Unfortunately it seems I'm off to a rocky start, as the first session didn't run.
Just uncertain on how to go about this... 

First of all, don't give up.  My first attempts at getting players were really sad - back in the original Delve attempts I had three sessions where I had 3 or fewer people show up, and I wasn't comfortable enough with the system to scale things down, so I had people playing 2 characters, some of them with their first time in 4E.

What I did there, was found out when people who already got together in the store to play were playing, and I stopped by at their game start time and invited them directly.  That got me enough players to actually have a reason to keep trying, and eventually a few extra people.  That store is closed now, but I still play with a few of those guys even now, 2 years later.

In the store I currently run out of, I asked the owners if they would put up the posters, which they were happy to do, and I hit up the forums here and at EnWorld saying where I was running Encounters.  I had a few people contact me from using the "Game Finder" here, and a few more from the store owners.  It seems like word of mouth has gotten me to a number of people I can't handle anymore.  For Dark Sun I had to recruit a second DM, and that was with losing 4 regulars due to work conflicts after Season 1!

Short version: be patient and get the store owners involved in getting info out.

Also: don't skip the intro until you have at least 1 group that has been through it.
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
Thanks for the advice guys! I hadn't thought about doing a make-up session. If I'm unable to do that or the double-session, it does look like the second encounter is the most skippable. Here's hoping I get enough players to run next week!
Planes Wanderer
Sign In to post comments