9/23/2010 TD: "Five by Five by Five by Five by Five ... by Five?"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
You need to say "hella" less. 100% less. In fact, that goes for everyone, not just you. That is all.
It might be noted, for the benefit of people unfamiliar, that "Five by Five" is a radio operator's term to indicate that a signal is being received clearly with good quality.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Interesting discussion, but I don't think that Carnifax Demon and Geth, Lord of the Vault will make the splash you seem to think they will (well, maybe Geth will, but I doubt it).  The problem as I see it is that they're both worse than Grave Titan for the same cost.  For 4BB, you can get 1) a 4/4 that's probably going to die before you untap, 2) a 5/5 that might bring along something sweet next turn if you spend all your mana to do so, or 3) a 6/6 and two 2/2's, which will give you more 2/2's next turn if it survives.  I think I see which of these is the winner here.

Also, Grasp of Darkness eats Blight Dragon for lunch.  You could have noted that.  Honestly, I think this card alone (along with the lack of other good infect creatures) may well force the dragon to the sidelines.
Apparently "bananas" has replaced "inexorable" as Flores' pet word of the moment.
I expected WUBRGArtifact, not WUBRGOldstuff. Ah well.

I know a lot of people have been waiting on the edges of their seats to see Phylactery Lich go from "maybe" to "we finally have enough artifacts" ... I think the flashy three might have just gotten worse.

Are there tons more artifacts to play? Undoubtedly. Doesn't mean we suddenly have lots more phylactery counters. In fact, now the opposition will have lots more artifact removal ... to point at relatively few phylactery counters. See what just happened there?

On the other hand, Standard right now has no artifacts that are indestructible on their own. Scars has at least four. Three of those look playable on their own (Darksteel Axe, Juggernaut and Sentinel) and one (Axe) has a lower CMC than the Lich. Axe on turn one, anything on turn two, Lich on turn three, equip it on turn four and attack with a 7/5 indestructible creature... works for me.

(Now that I actually look it up, Darksteel Colossus is in Standard, an artifact, and indestructible. Obviously, though, you aren't going to cast that to enable the Lich, you're going to cast that to win by itself.)

Is playing Ezuri with one green open really going to be hilarious? He can't regenerate himself...
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
Is playing Ezuri with one green open really going to be hilarious? He can't regenerate himself...

My thought exactly.

And I also don't see how Compost was "unavoidable for anyone playing black".
Lets see. Black has no way of dealing with enchanments, any removal you play is card disadvantage, any creature you trade is card disadvantage....
Lets see. Black has no way of dealing with enchanments, any removal you play is card disadvantage, any creature you trade is card disadvantage....

Right, of course. But in the context of the article it reads as "unavoidable for anyone playing black to put in their deck".
Furnace Celebration + Eldrazi Spawn. It turns them all into tiny Ember Haulers. Now all you need is some way to keep the engine going.
It might be noted, for the benefit of people unfamiliar, that "Five by Five" is a radio operator's term to indicate that a signal is being received clearly with good quality.

I actually learned that years ago in a Buffy/Angel FAQ. I believe Faith was fond of the saying. 

Who says TV doesn't teach you anything?

Also: Elk!!
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Maybe the hilarity is if you bluff your opponent into not realizing that he can't regenerate himself, so your opponent doesn't even try to kill him.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Excellent point fractal! I shall certainly try that if the chance arises! Wink
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------

(Now that I actually look it up, Darksteel Colossus is in Standard, an artifact, and indestructible. Obviously, though, you aren't going to cast that to enable the Lich, you're going to cast that to win by itself.)

Check again because Darksteel Colossus is in M10, not M11, and M10 is going out.  But as you said, you wouldn't want to play it just to get a counter on it.

Regarding the article, a list of artifacts needed to be included as well.  While other sets have few artifacts, this one has many so it would be pretty easy to find five artifacts to discuss.  Other than that, the article was fine.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Bananas
1G
Enchantment

An article by Mike Flores can have any number of this card.

"This card is bananas." —Mike Flores, Task Mage
Check again because Darksteel Colossus is in M10, not M11, and M10 is going out.  But as you said, you wouldn't want to play it just to get a counter on it.

M10 is still in until Nov 2, when SoM actually releases, isn't it? So it /is/ in Standard. It's just not in standard for long.
Ummm... No. Scars becomes standard legal on 1st October, the day it is released. Shards block and M10 cease to be legal on that same day. So M10 and Scars will not be legal at the same time, even for a little bit.
Ummm... No. Scars becomes standard legal on 1st October, the day it is released. Shards block and M10 cease to be legal on that same day. So M10 and Scars will not be legal at the same time, even for a little bit.

Er, right. October, I just got confused with months (and evidentally got the release date one day off) That's what I meant, though: Darksteel Colossus is, currently, Standard legal, but once SoM releases won't be.

"Or ... you have Hill Giant."

Well said.

Sign In to post comments