Published adventurers and the "feel" of Eberron

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Party have just reached paragon level and I am looking for ideas of what to run.

I must admit I am a little starved on time lately. By contrast when I had some time to plan and prepare I had an adventure I crafted from hand set in Q'Barra that had the party raiding ancient temples for artifacts and  being chased by dinosaurs through the forest and it was great. Then I ran out of prep time and ran the 4e version of tomb of horrors (the DM rewards one) and it was bad, was not a very well designed  dungeon and had nothing of what makes Eberron feel like Eberron in it.

Now that they are in Paragon tier I am trying to find a way to run a published adventure without it feel like generic dungeon X. I do have some time to make occasional encounters, but when I need to start designing entire dungeons then I am start to run behind. I would also like to keep things goal focused.

What I was planning on doing, and it is certainly still on the cards, is running King of the Trollhaunt Warrens and set it in a small town on the border of The Eldeen Reaches and Aundir. However apart from finding a spot on the map where to set it I am not sure how to capture the feel of Eberron. Also it has a part where the party adventure into the Feywild, which I thought was closed off to Eberron (at least The Eldeen Reaches write up talks about some cranky Eladrin who cannot return to the Feywild).

Anyway whatever help people can provide would be aces. 
I think I will look up some 3rd edition Eberron modules and see if any of those can be and are worth converting. I am also reading up on my lore to see if I can come up with any Paragon tier level threats or adventures the players would be keen to battle, then just use the encounters from published products and dragon articles rather than try and tune a story to have an Eberron feel.

What I was planning on doing, and it is certainly still on the cards, is running King of the Trollhaunt Warrens and set it in a small town on the border of The Eldeen Reaches and Aundir. However apart from finding a spot on the map where to set it I am not sure how to capture the feel of Eberron. Also it has a part where the party adventure into the Feywild, which I thought was closed off to Eberron (at least The Eldeen Reaches write up talks about some cranky Eladrin who cannot return to the Feywild).

Trolls are rather common in Droaam, which shares borders with Breland, the Eldeen Reaches, and Aundair IIRC.  The area could easily be a place controlled by Trolls.  For more Eberron feel, you could give them some relationtion with the daughters of Sora Kell.  Maybe have one show up at some point or have references to them.  Add a couple of Harpies, Medusas, Gnoll mercenaries, and other iconic Droaamites to the encounters as well.

While the Eladrin Feyspires are stuck in Eberron, Thelanis (the Feywild) remains the most easily accessed plane.  It's not that the Eladrin can't go back to Thelanis, it's that they can't take their homes- in which they have lived for countless generations and spent just as much time creating and infusing with their knowledge, power, and culture- with them and they aren't going to simply abandon them.

There is a feyspire in the Eldeen Reaches, so maybe instead of travelling to the Feywild, the party travels to the Feyspire and has to deal with the Eladrin there. Their travel there could involve some interaction with the Greensinger Druids.

Thelanis also has a lot more Lycanthropes than the core Feywild (it's where many fled during/after the Purge), so feel free to add them in somewhere.
My Party have just reached paragon level and I am looking for ideas of what to run.

I must admit I am a little starved on time lately. By contrast when I had some time to plan and prepare I had an adventure I crafted from hand set in Q'Barra that had the party raiding ancient temples for artifacts and  being chased by dinosaurs through the forest and it was great. Then I ran out of prep time and ran the 4e version of tomb of horrors (the DM rewards one) and it was bad, was not a very well designed  dungeon and had nothing of what makes Eberron feel like Eberron in it.

Now that they are in Paragon tier I am trying to find a way to run a published adventure without it feel like generic dungeon X. I do have some time to make occasional encounters, but when I need to start designing entire dungeons then I am start to run behind. I would also like to keep things goal focused.

Anyway whatever help people can provide would be aces. 

I ran King of the Trollhaunt Warrens for one my Eberron campaigns, and placed on it on the border of the Eldeen Reachs and Aundair too, just inside the Eldeen Reaches.  I integrated it into Eberron by having Etheran (the young noble who's death is suggested as the hook for starting the adventure) be Lord Darro's son (the Audairian general who really wants to reconquer the Eldeen Reaches).  Worried that Darro might act rashly or otherwise use the troll uprising as a reason to start a full scale war with the Reaches despite Audair's ill state of preparedness, the Royal Eyes dispach the party to try to put down the troll uprising and head off Darro.

During the adventure, I modified things so that Darro was actually sponsoring Skalmad to cause trouble, and his son was in the area to "rout" Skalmad in the name of Aundair and try to swing popular opinion in Moonstair back around to re-joining Aundair.  Skalmad betrayed Darro when he got the eye and cauldron, though.  I laid hints about this in the troll lair (well-stocked with Aundairian supplies) and in Etheran's camp in the swamp (the diary there somewhat eludes to a degree of cooperation instead), which the PCs could uncover this and use against Darro afterwards to prevent a wider war.
That is really clever. I was thinking that maybe the Troll King was wanting to gain followers to gain influence in Drooam, but that is very clever.

Cheers for the advice. 
  Thelanis also has a lot more Lycanthropes than the core Feywild (it's where many fled during/after the Purge), so feel free to add them in somewhere.

Actually, that's Lamannia. Thelanis has no more lycanthropes than usual.

Planes Wanderer

necro...

Did you run the paragon campaign? 

How did it go and what adventures (homegrown or other) did you use?
Sign In to post comments