Encounters within the Keep only involve daggers?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you read the article on the Keep all persons entering the Keep must hand over all weapons save for daggers. So does it mean that the PCs will only have daggers available to them for combats inside the Keep?
*evil DM giggle*

It does now! Excellent...

Based on the fact the DnD's canon changes, go by what it says in the book. as it doesn't say to relinquish thier weapons in the book, don't do it. The magazines are filled with inconsistencies, and while these encounters are as well, take the encounters books as canon.

Just my take. Using pregens is the only reason. If everyone had thier own character, it would be easier, but as the pregens don't have individual weapon attacks, replacing the main weapon is more difficult.

If you read the article on the Keep all persons entering the Keep must hand over all weapons save for daggers. So does it mean that the PCs will only have daggers available to them for combats inside the Keep?

That probably means the Keep proper, not the outer or inner baileys.  Although it would make for some tough, long fights.
Yes, as written, the (IIRC) Corporal of the Guard takes their weapons when they enter the Gates.  That would certainly make encounter 2 a much tougher fight.  Maybe Sal could smuggle them weapons right before encounter 3, I havent playtested 3 to see how rough it is.

That probably means the Keep proper, not the outer or inner baileys.  Although it would make for some tough, long fights.

I'd argue that the text from the article mentions that the taking of the weapons occurs at the same time that any mounts that the PC's have are taken to the stables...which are in the Outer Bailey.  So it probably means that it applies once the PC's enter the Keep.

Also think about it logically.  The guards want to keep the peace inside the entire keep, baileys and the keep proper.  Why would they restrict it to just one area when they have quite a few people they need to protect in all three areas.
I think I might handle it more for just the Inner Bailey.  Since the Outer Bailey tries to keep its freedoms.  This way the players can make note of it, and possibly start making plans for the future (if they ever need to go into the Inner Bailey), but not be something I need to spring on them in the first session.  Will let them get more comfortable with their characters, before they need to start figuring out what laws they feel the need to start breaking.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

As the author, I recommend strongly against paying this minor point in the Dungeon article any heed.

_ C _
Word of god from the author does trump all... but for mne its too late I already established to the players that they leave their weapons at the door. BUT for encounter 1-2 They get so disturbed by the injured man I will have them ignore the PC's weaponry.
Same here, I also had the players surrender weapons, but I've also got two Mages and a Thief in this party, they're barely hindered by this. That said, I will probably have the guards let them pass unchallenged when they see the wounded Gordi.
Sign In to post comments