9/21/2010 SF: "A Beautiful Creation"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
... Someone fired the Genesis Device on Mirrodin. Maybe it was Khan.
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
Yes... Chord of Calling has been my single most favorite card of all times, bar none.

While Genesis Wave is kind of cool, it seems to be a lot closer to Mind Spring than Chord of Calling. While it shares its mana cost with Chord, being a sorcery without convoke makes the actual cost much higher, and so Genesis cannot be as versatile as Chord - it can only be used as a finisher in the same way that Mind Spring is.

Another awesome thing with Chord was that it rewards customizing your decks - have some Caryatids and Hierarches against beatdown, some Viridian Shamans for their Jittes, a Clone for their Yoseis, a Kiki-jiki and an Izzet Chronarch for shenanigans, and for finishers you even get choices from all sorts of higher-drops - Meloku, Adarkar Valkyrie, Angle of Despair, Simic Sky Swallower, or Bogarden Hellkite? Extreme deck diversity is the one thing that follow-ups like Wargate and Genesis Wave don't seem to capture. (Wargate tried hard, but the high mana cost prevented it from anything close to an impressive draw.)

I can see myself using Genesis Wave in an Eldrazi Spawn deck, which is in turn my favorite mechanic in today's Standard. This is exactly where Wave shines - when you can go way beyond X = 5.
Seriously? As soon as I saw the name of the card I said "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!"
And yet, not a single reference in the article. I had to go straight here to rage.

Where's spock when we need him. We've got to escape the Genesis Wave!
I'm not a huge fan of "X squared" cards. Regular X cards have a significant inherent flaw in them, which is that they say "hold on to me as long as possible, and then tap all your lands for mana and cast me." The X squared cards just take this to the next level. It's still a nice card though. \:>
I'm not a huge fan of "X squared" cards. Regular X cards have a significant inherent flaw in them, which is that they say "hold on to me as long as possible, and then tap all your lands for mana and cast me." The X squared cards just take this to the next level. It's still a nice card though. \:>

How is this an X squared card?  You only pay for a single X cost, but the number applied to X is applied twice on the card.  Once for the number of cards you draw and again for the CMC of cards you can put on the battlefield.  If the fact that X gets applied twice on the card makes it an X squared card then ok.  But I have seen cards with XX in their costs and I thought that is what you meant by an X squared card.

While it is a nice card, it requires a lot of mana to really be useful.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Considering it's to potential to dump a lot of lands onto the battlefield, maybe it will have some competitive impact alongside Valakut? I'm by no means knowledgable about Standard, but it seems possible to me...

How is this an X squared card?  You only pay for a single X cost, but the number applied to X is applied twice on the card.  Once for the number of cards you draw and again for the CMC of cards you can put on the battlefield.  If the fact that X gets applied twice on the card makes it an X squared card then ok.  But I have seen cards with XX in their costs and I thought that is what you meant by an X squared card.

While it is a nice card, it requires a lot of mana to really be useful.

Exactly, that's what makes it an "X squared" card, at least the way Pegaweb seems to be using the phrase. (His way is idiosyncratic, but then so is yours.) Spending one additional mana on it at X=7 makes more difference than at X=6, which makes more difference than at X=5, and so on.

Most X spells give you one whatever - damage, life, cards drawn, counters - per point of mana. Some X spells, though, give you more for later points of mana, like this card or Gelatinous Genesis. Call those "X squared" spells for now (although GG fits your definition as well). With regular X spells, it often makes sense to not tap out completely for them. If you have seven lands out and want to cast a Mind Spring, you will often only tap five lands and leave two free just in case you draw a Mana Leak, for example. With these X squared spells, though, the additional reward for more mana is so good that you're almost required to tap out completely. Pegaweb seems to be saying that that's bad design, because the card looks like it gives the player a choice but there's really only one "correct" answer.

I guess I see what he means, but I still like this card. It's a very green card. In its simplest form, just build a deck with lots of creatures with a CMC of 3 or less, cast this for X=3, and put the top three cards of your library into play - a bargain at six mana. If you want to get more ambitious with this, include some mana acceleration and some more expensive creatures (or other permanents), or cards that can be played from the graveyard, or effects like scry that let you see what's coming up...
So the idea of the Genesis Wave reanimator deck is to generate a bunch of mana, so you can cast Genesis Wave, so you can hopefully dump an expensive creature card into your graveyard, so you can reanimate the creature without spending a bunch of mana to cast it?  This is a terrible, terrible plan. 
turboland w/ Hedron Crab comes to mind for me as a huge mill win, as does dumping  Valakuts and mountains on the field.
So the idea of the Genesis Wave reanimator deck is to generate a bunch of mana, so you can cast Genesis Wave, so you can hopefully dump an expensive creature card into your graveyard, so you can reanimate the creature without spending a bunch of mana to cast it?  This is a terrible, terrible plan. 

Well, the Genesis Wave might put more than one expensive creature cards into your graveyard, so in that sense it puts you ahead of the game. But yeah, the second deck is like a Rube Goldberg contraption that needs oil. If you can play Genesis Wave for X=6, then you can cast all the big fatties in the deck anyway. If you only play this card for, say, X=3 or less, you only get to see three cards, which is a very low chance of getting a big fattie into the graveyard. So there's a pretty narrow window where this card is useful but you can't just cast your big fatties the normal way. And two-thirds of the deck's graveyard recursion comes from sorceries and instants, which Genesis Wave mills unceremoniously. However, this is the Serious Fun column, and it's kind of fun to find some completely ridiculous way to use a card that looks straightforward.

I guess there might be some degenerate combo with this card based on filling up your own graveyard, but I can't find it. Living Death and Living End don't work with it; if you cast Genesis Wave with a low X, it doesn't fill up your graveyard, and if you cast it with a high X you could just put them all into play directly without using the black sorceries. It does greatly help abilities that require exiling cards from your own graveyard, like Sutured Ghoul, but again, that usually wouldn't be as good putting them into play directly.

This card teases us with combo potential, but doesn't seem to actually deliver. (Of course, maybe I just haven't thought of any yet.)
There is a new infinite mana combo from the new Myr in this set, use Genesis wave to draw your deck and aim the burn spell of choice at your opponents head.  I've been waiting for a spell I could use to draw every card in the deck, and this is the perfect fit.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
There is a new infinite mana combo from the new Myr in this set, use Genesis wave to draw your deck and aim the burn spell of choice at your opponents head.  I've been waiting for a spell I could use to draw every card in the deck, and this is the perfect fit.

Genesis Wave doesn't let you draw a thing. "Reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put any number of permanent cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield." So nothing goes into your hand and no instants or sorceries can be used. The Myr infinite mana combo would let you put all the permanent cards in your library into play, but you'd need a way to win that turn, of course, or else you'd die the following turn from being unable to draw.
crap you're right.  Now I'm sad.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
but you'd need a way to win that turn, of course, or else you'd die the following turn from being unable to draw.

Unless you run Elixir of Immortality and pop it before you draw.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!