Dragon 391 - Winning Races: Genasi

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDragon 391
Winning Races: Genasi

by Peter Schaefer

The innate elemental natures of genasi make them suited to the challenges of life in the Elemental Chaos—and to lives as slaves to the many cruel and mighty creatures of that plane. So many of the genasi living in the Elemental Chaos are trapped in forced servitude that a secret group exists to free them and ferry them to the natural world: the Amethyst Sea. It plans and executes operations from two headquarters: one in the world and one in the Elemental Chaos.

Talk about this Article here.

391_wr_genasi.jpg
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

i thoroughly enjoyed this article.

it helped me to envision better the issues facing many members of the genasi race.  the suggested plot hook of having the adventurers agree to assist in a rescue in exchange for some other form of assistance pertaining to the elemental chaos is spot on.

and the paragon path is just . . . delicious.  great thematic powers.  not too sweet, not too spicy.

elements unleashed could make for a great side theme to any genasi magic user (magic in the broader sense of the term).

bravo, mr. schaefer.

oh, and LOVE the art.  although, perhaps a watersoul genasi should not look like he is needing to hold his breath underwater.
Just to inform you, the link in the content callender is broken, it leads you to the content from last monday.
D&D Outsider since Nov 18th 2010, if you wonder about the little red dragon, this one is dedicated to the great VT community.
Thanks for the tip.  I'll make sure that the guys get that fixed as soon as they get in the office.

"Now I'm free to kick your ass?" Really? That's the best Paragon Path quote you could come up with?
Just to inform you, the link in the content callender is broken, it leads you to the content from last monday.

This should be fixed now. Please let us know if you have any continuing issues.

I think the feat Crumble to Dust might be a tad bit on the broken side.  If you get an Earthsoul Genasi Fighter with Come and Get It (or on a team with a Wizard with Visions of Averice!) he could easily remove a good bit of the enemies for a round.

Perhaps make it only remove one enemy that you hit in the burst?  As it is right now, I'm sure there will be a few new Earthsoul Genasi Fighters, Wardens and Barbarians showing up in campaigns going forward. 

Otherwise, nice article.  I loved the artwork.  I am trying to find a way to get the Watersoul feats to work with my LFR Warlord (once the compiled issue is released, of course.)
It doesn't actually remove them for a round though... just until the start of their next turn.  The overall effect?  Your allies can't attack them until they reappear, but the enemy is free to take its full turn when it reappears.  It could be useful if you use readied actions to earthshock at the beginning of their turn, disrupting whatever action they take first, and they lose their actions for that round... but used on your own turn, it's fairly useless.

Yes, there's battlefield control options that it opens up, but they all depend on your allies acting between your turn and the removed enemy's turn.

Being removed from play until the beginning of your turn is a good thing, and if you take a look at the PP, there's a standard action utility that does just that.  (although the utility should probably be a move action to be useful)
I can think of common circumstances were the removal of monsters from play for a few seconds is great. For example, when you really need to get away, but cannot take the opportunity attacks, or when the monster has you grabbed and is about to use its devastating grabbed only attack.
It's not especially powerful and does prevent your allies from attacking that monster. Still, there are plenty of times when it can be useful - removing a monster with nasty OAs to let allies sneak past. Removing an enemy with an aura. Things like that. Not common, but a useful option to have at the right time.
Sign In to post comments