9/20/2010 Feature: "September 20 2010 DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Baseless Predictions!

Standard:
  • no changes

Extended:
  • a slight possibility of a card being banned because its obvious hoser was lost when the format was gutted.

• another slight possibility of a card being unbanned because its obvious enabler was lost when the format was gutted.

• a slightly less slight possiblity of a card being banned because something in Scars makes it awesome.

Legacy:
  • no changes

Vintage:
  • a generally weak blue library-manipulation card gets restricted for no obvious reason, most likely Preordain.

Maybe Mystical Tutor will get unbanned in Legacy

"Well we played in the Tournament Practice room on MTGO and we were bored. So we decided we'd rather go back to being horrified instead."

Extended:
  • a slight possibility of a card being banned because its obvious hoser was lost when the format was gutted.

• another slight possibility of a card being unbanned because its obvious enabler was lost when the format was gutted.

• a slightly less slight possiblity of a card being banned because something in Scars makes it awesome.

If you have any specific cards in mind for those slots, now's the time to put your predictions on record!

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Extended:

If you have any specific cards in mind for those slots, now's the time to put your predictions on record!

:P my bet is that some random faerie gets banned such as pestermite XD

legacy gets banned from offical tournaments, and vintage gets played more *shudders....
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
Extended:

I'm not as familiar with the format as I should be.  #1 and #2 are just vague cynicism, and #3 is a blantant jab at Tinker getting axed just before DSC appeared.
On the predictions.

Baseless Predictions!

Standard:
  • no changes

Obviously not now that the format is changing, but a month later, when Standard goes back to its tiny card pool and it becomes a 1 - deck format again, people will be wondering why they didn't ban anything and Wizards ultimate proof of nonbrokeness will be the Do you like Standard? poll at the end of the column.

Extended:

This is really interesting because the banning of Sword of the Meek showed a change from their usual laissez faire policy and the banning of Hypergenesis, a lower tolerance to combo. If they stay true to this changes, then I really hope that Bitterblossom gets banned because no one really wants to get back to the state of 4 Stags, 4 Fallouts in the SB. There's nothing banned that survives the rotation, so option two is not valid (the most close card is Punishing Fire, but it actually underperformed in Berlin and loses Grove of the Burnwillows). About a preemptive banning, that's uncertain but the most likely case could be Etherium Sculptor

Legacy:

• no changes

Vintage:
  • a generally weak blue library-manipulation card gets restricted for no obvious reason, most likely Preordain.

Imagine if Sensei's Divining Top got banned... it would be coherent with the Extended banning, yet it would infuriate the jaded Legacy farts even if at the end it weren't that big of a deal, which is what happened with Mystical tutor.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Sensei's Divining Top got banned in Extended because it slowed the format down too much (at least according to FTV Exiled).  Vintage and legacy are already full of cards that search through or manipulate the library so a ban of Sensei's Divining Top would be pointless for the reason it was banned in Extended.  That doesn't mean that it won't get banned/restricted for other reasons.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I don't know. Shahrazad is the one card not an ante card nor a dexterity card to get banned even in Vintage, not just Legacy. It seems to me that Sensei's Divining Top could arguably be considered a candidate for the same treatment.

I don't know. Shahrazad is the one card not an ante card nor a dexterity card to get banned even in Vintage, not just Legacy. It seems to me that Sensei's Divining Top could arguably be considered a candidate for the same treatment.

Shahrazad makes you play an entire GAME in order to resolve it.  Having to play an entire game to resolve a single card would take too long in most tournament settings.  Sensei's Divining Top
just has you manipulate the top three cards of your library every turn.  While the Top does slow things down, it wouldn't slow things down enough to warrant a banning in formats that are known to be relatively fast.

Also, SDT has been legal in Vintage and Legacy for years, why would they all of the sudden ban it?  I highly doubt that it has all of the sudden become a key piece of tech for some type of Vintage deck.  Although I could be wrong since I don't follow Vintage too closely.  This site doesn't seem to talk about Vintage very much and I don't know any other site that does. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
No, Top is definitely not getting banned because Shahrazad was. Whether I think Shahrazad should have gotten banned instead of restricted is another matter, but the cards are not comparable. Honestly I do not think Top should have been banned in Extended either.
Frantic Search: Seems fine. I was always confused when I saw this ban. A remnant of an bygone era, methinks

Gush: I thought they tried unrestricting this just a year or so ago, and things didn't turn out so well?

Also, funny how it says "banned" instead of "unrestricted." It could just say "No Changes" 
Also, funny how it says "banned" instead of "unrestricted." It could just say "No Changes" 

Agreed, I've no idea how they ended up putting on the website that a vintage non-ante card was banned. Got myself bit confused this early in the morning.
Ah. I thought they said "Vintage" when they meant "Legacy", instead of "no longer banned" when they meant "no longer restricted".

So, Is Gush and Frantic Search UNRESTRICTED in Vintage, or are they unbanned in LEGACY?  I can see that there be a mistake either way.  If its the former, it's long overdue.  If its the later, then WHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!
So, Is Gush and Frantic Search UNRESTRICTED in Vintage, or are they unbanned in LEGACY?  I can see that there be a mistake either way.  If its the former, it's long overdue.  If its the later, then WHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Based on the article it's Vintage, since he's talking about other restricted cards too.

Considering that they had all weekend to wait before posting the article, one would think that they'd actually get this right. Ten seconds worth of proofreading is all it would have taken. I know mistakes happen but this is a pretty bad one to make.

Frantic Search: Seems fine. I was always confused when I saw this ban. A remnant of an bygone era, methinks

Gush: I thought they tried unrestricting this just a year or so ago, and things didn't turn out so well?

Yeah, Wizards messed up their own announcement.  Gush and Frantic Search were restricted, not banned.  And so they are now Unrestricted, ie., 4-of is okay.  It was just sloppiness on the part of Wizards.

Sorry for the error. As is clear from Erik Lauer's explanation, Gush and Frantic Search are being unrestricted in Vintage. I'll make sure people that can edit the site are aware of the error. It'll be fixed ASAP. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Magic: The Gathering Rules Manager Wizards of the Coast Follow me @TabakRules
That's certainly interesting.  Is Vintage really becoming so much a "lands optional" format that Gush's alternate cost is actually a drawback now?
That's certainly interesting.  Is Vintage really becoming so much a "lands optional" format that Gush's alternate cost is actually a drawback now?

Ummm, is there any "landfall" card waiting for something like this to be used in Vintage? Lotus Cobra?

Owww, 10 years boy! 10 years since the last time I played 4 copies of FS! Really a remnant of an bygone era...
Well I do have multiple Gushes thanks to that Duel Deck, so not having it restricted lets me actually use it somewhere legally.
Sorry for the error. As is clear from Erik Lauer's explanation, Gush and Frantic Search are being unrestricted in Vintage. I'll make sure people that can edit the site are aware of the error. It'll be fixed ASAP. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

If the announcement is going to be edited anyway, there might also be an issue with Eric's explanation article.  Eric wrote:

With ..."OpenTip(event, "Frantic Search")" class="nodec">Frantic Search and ..."OpenTip(event, "Gush")" class="nodec">Gush unbanned, the current list drops to 57 cards. This makes it the shortest list in the modern Vintage period.

I'm counting 56, after eliminating Frantic Search and Gush from the list that was updated in June, 2010.
The fact that Mystical Tutor is banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage is, of course, understandable, despite the fact that the other members of its cycle are not - a tutor useful for the powerful color Blue is dangerous.

But this status may well annoy many people for the same reason it does me: it was originally printed as a mere uncommon, not a rare, and it didn't just appear in Mirage, it was included in Sixth Edition. So, putting so common and accessible a card on the B&R list seems unfitting. Of course, though, that's not a consideration that can be given much weight - what matters is its effect on gameplay.

Channel was an uncommon in Fourth Edition, but no one could argue against its place on the B&R list.