Season 3 - Looking for some background information for my players

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey guys,

Brand new DM here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I’d like to give my players just a little bit of background information before the first session.  Perhaps a brief description of the region?  Or a map showing where they’ve come from?

I don’t know where to begin, though.  I don’t know anything about the chaos scar.  And I can’t really tell exactly what the map on page 5 is.  (See my other thread on that.)

I just want to give the players something to read and get excited about this weekend.  Any thoughts/feedback/links to good information very appreciated.  Please remember to hide spoilers, if any.

If you know anyone with a subscription to the Insider, Dragon #176 has a whole article on Restwell Keep.
Again, I definitely recommend checking out this page for some information on the Chaos Scar.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...
if you know somebody who has the Red Box, there is a map of the nentir vale with the Chaos Scar on it (DMB p. 62). So you can set it in relation to the bigger towns of the region (Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Winterhaven) where your PCs may hail from. My PC will come from Hammerfast or Fallcrest, not sure yet. I think you can find a lot of information about the Vale in the internet.
Didn't read your other thread, because I want to play the Encounters and not DM it.
Dragon #176 has a whole article on Restwell Keep.

Sorry, but that's Dungeon 176.

if you know somebody who has the Red Box, there is a map of the nentir vale with the Chaos Scar on it (DMB p. 62). So you can set it in relation to the bigger towns of the region (Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Winterhaven) where your PCs may hail from. My PC will come from Hammerfast or Fallcrest, not sure yet. I think you can find a lot of information about the Vale in the internet.
Didn't read your other thread, because I want to play the Encounters and not DM it.

Thanks.  I'd like to get my grubby little hands on that map.  Is it printed anywhere else or online?
Gold Piece: Hit up google images for a map of the Nentir Vale. If you drawn a horizontal line across the map over the top of the 'c' in Witchlight Fens and a vertical line down the map from the dot that represents Winterhaven, where they connect is the location for the Chaos Scar.

That is the only change to the map as far as I can tell.

And definitely see if you can get the Dungeon 176 article called 'The Keep on the Chaos Scar'. It will really help you flesh out the keep, its history and its inhabitants.
Thanks all.  I got a copy of Dungeon 176.  Good stuff.  Between the article and the adventure module, I feel up to speed enough to give my players a good time.