Last post
The Characters (Thanks to Perithoth)

[sblock Berrian - Eladrin (Enchanter) Wizard]
Feats: Staff Expertise
Missing:
- Increase Beguiling Strands push by 2 and Charm of Misplaced Wrath slide by 2
- Staff provides +1 Reach
- Extra Spells for Spellbook
- The mage actually paid for his spellbook (50 gp)
[/sblock]
[sblock Sola - Elf (Sun Warpriest) Cleric]
Feats: Master at Arms
[/sblock]
[sblock Quinn -  Human (Knight) Fighter]
Feats: Improved Initiative, Toughness
[/sblock] 
[sblock Merric - Halfling (Thief) Rogue]
Feats: Improved Initiative
[/sblock]
[sblock Hagen - Human (Storm Warpriest) Cleric]
Feats: Bludgeon Expertise, Weapon Focus (Mace)
Has 3 extra gold
[/sblock]
[sblock Eldeth - Dwarf (Slayer) Fighter]
Feats: Disciple of Stone
Missing:
Dwarven Resilience - Encounter Power
[/sblock]

Tactics from WOTC_Chuck

Comment on possible mistakes, or as I'm doing trying to find out what feats/features are not listed but yet are applied.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Hello, doesn't know whether this a failure or a update from the Red Box to HotFL (I only have the Red Box), but

Sola - Elf (Sun Warpriest) Cleric has NIMBUS OF HOLY SHIELDING as a close burst 1 power and she uses her mace to determine her attack modifier and as damage dice (d8). In my Red Box this power has the Implement keyword and is a close burst 2 with a d10 damage dice.

Also: The effect of BRAND OF THE SUN has changed. In the Red Box it gives evrey ally within 5 squares 2 temporary hit points, instead of granting one ally a saving throw.

And I doesn't understand the defenses: According to Red Box Fortitude should be 12, Reflex 11 and Will 16.

And Magic Missile has as target line: One OR TWO creatures in the Red Box.
And Magic Missile has as target line: One OR TWO creatures in the Red Box.

Except Magic Missile was erratted.
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/u...

Also, since Heroes of the Fallen Lands trumps the red box because it was published after the Red Box that would be the authority for the spell if there was no errata.

So, one target for magic missile.

Bryan Blumklotz
No One Special

But with your argument the Red Box would trump the update because it is published later. If Magic Missile has one target in Heroes of... I agree with you (don't have the book).
Hello, doesn't know whether this a failure or a update from the Red Box to HotFL (I only have the Red Box), but

Sola - Elf (Sun Warpriest) Cleric has NIMBUS OF HOLY SHIELDING as a close burst 1 power and she uses her mace to determine her attack modifier and as damage dice (d8). In my Red Box this power has the Implement keyword and is a close burst 2 with a d10 damage dice.

Also: The effect of BRAND OF THE SUN has changed. In the Red Box it gives evrey ally within 5 squares 2 temporary hit points, instead of granting one ally a saving throw.

And I doesn't understand the defenses: According to Red Box Fortitude should be 12, Reflex 11 and Will 16.

Flipped through Fallen Lands. They all fall in line with what's printed there.
But with your argument the Red Box would trump the update because it is published later. If Magic Missile has one target in Heroes of... I agree with you (don't have the book).

Yeah I've got Red Box and Rules Compendium.  So I can't verify all of the powers.  But my glance through, the skills (including passives) look correct on everyone, and I think I've figured out everyone's feats (for those that don't list any).  Basic Attacks look correct (this was the main way I figured out feats).

Overall the quality of this set is a lot better.  I don't think any of the characters are built opposing their build.  I find it kind of sad that all except the fighters/thief (who get a class +1 bonus to attack) just got expertise.  Overall I don't find a need to create a character, since I usually DM I'd be more than happy playing any of these characters if I don't need to run a table.

Also after the pain of the Cosmic Sorcerer last season, I have no problem with them not listing the spellbook spells for the wizard.

DungeonScape

Straight from Chris Tulach's mouth the and verified by the Rules update the RC's single target version of MM is correct.

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Looking at HotFL right now;

Berian's cantrips are correct for the mage (choose 3 of 5), in which case he's missing his Apprentice feature (likely either Enchantment or Evocation from his spell selection). Assuming these, it's pretty easy to figure out what the other spells in his Spellbook would be (Burning hands and Sleep). Enchantment Apprentice could have been easily "baked in": push, pull or slide 2 further for enchantment spells (Beguiling strands and Charm of Misplaced Wrath). Evocation Apprentice would have required a seperate entry (reroll a single "1" on evocation damage dice (Arc lightning and Fountains of Flame [and Burning Hands]).

Also, on Eldeth, HotFL has Dwarven Resilience (second wind as minor) as an Encounter Power. Not really a change/problem unless you have one of the abilities that lets someone regain thier second wind durring an encounter, which Essentials doesn't (yet).
I plan on giving a person playing Berrian the choice of school and have made some cards to show the mechanical effects. I only added Enchantment and Evocation since that's all he has. This document also contains all the treasure items found in encounter 1-1 and cards detailing each quest.

dl.dropbox.com/u/8017299/KeepDMAids_Opti...
I plan on giving a person playing Berrian the choice of school and have made some cards to show the mechanical effects. I only added Enchantment and Evocation since that's all he has. This document also contains all the treasure items found in encounter 1-1 and cards detailing each quest.

that link is broken. would you mind reposting it somewhere else since i'd like to get my hands on it. thanks
Strange, I just tested it and it seems OK.
try a right-click and download link option instead. The file is large

if it is still a problem try this

bit.ly/a6M3xz 

Maybe a shortened version helps

If all else fails, manually copy this one

"http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017299/KeepDMAids_Optimized.pdf"

and you should be good to go.
Thanks, that helped!
Glad it worked. I noticed a spelling error on one of the cards (Dwarven Resilience). I'll post an update later on.
Very good post here by WotC_Chuck on the pregens with tactics.

It also mentions errata:
"First thing you will want to do if you are playing Berrian is increase the push of beguiling strands and the slide for charm of misplaced wrath by 2 each (his school of magic did not get applied properly to the character sheet)."

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I've added the errata to Berrian, and the link to the first post.

Thanks for the Link Alpha Smile

DungeonScape

Shouldn't the mage be treating his staff as an improvised weapon since by also holding the orb he lacks the extra hand necessary to use the staff as a quarter staff which is a two handed weapon?
Shouldn't the mage be treating his staff as an improvised weapon since by also holding the orb he lacks the extra hand necessary to use the staff as a quarter staff which is a two handed weapon?

The wizard actually only has a staff.  The artwork has an orb, but the character has a staff.

DungeonScape

Can Eldeth mark?  Being a fighter you would think she could but it doesn't mention it on her card.  I don't have the essentials, yet so I'm unsure.  thanx in advance.
Austino's LFR CHARACTERS Ander Darkfoot - 12 - Halfling - Rogue/Daggermaster Miget Lii - 12 - Dragonborn - Paladin/Champion of Order Belfire Ogrecrush - 13 - Dwarf - Weaponmaster/Dreadnaught Dragonheart - 5 - Dragonborn - Sorcerer Shadowflame - 4 - Drow - Assassin Big Daddy - 3 - Goliath - Barbarian Utua - 4 - Shardmind - Artificer Terminator - 1 - Warforged - Barbarian Bladyis - 4 - Elven - Ranger
The Slayer cannot Mark...

The Knight has an Aura of quasi-Marking...

It imparts the -2 penalty to attack rolls, but that is it...

Minor to Activate, Minor to End. Ends if you go Unconscious.

Does not penalize a Marked Enemy, not an attack against anyone else using the Aura.
Thanks, I guess that makes her more of a barabarian then a fighter. "Slayer".  Thanks for letting me know.
Austino's LFR CHARACTERS Ander Darkfoot - 12 - Halfling - Rogue/Daggermaster Miget Lii - 12 - Dragonborn - Paladin/Champion of Order Belfire Ogrecrush - 13 - Dwarf - Weaponmaster/Dreadnaught Dragonheart - 5 - Dragonborn - Sorcerer Shadowflame - 4 - Drow - Assassin Big Daddy - 3 - Goliath - Barbarian Utua - 4 - Shardmind - Artificer Terminator - 1 - Warforged - Barbarian Bladyis - 4 - Elven - Ranger
The Slayer cannot Mark...

The Knight has an Aura of quasi-Marking...

It imparts the -2 penalty to attack rolls, but that is it...

Minor to Activate, Minor to End. Ends if you go Unconscious.

Does not penalize a Marked Enemy, not an attack against anyone else using the Aura.

The knights aura only applies the penalty to attacks that aren't against the knight (as long as they are marked).  The Knight also gets Battle Guardian.  Which allows it to attack its "Marked" targets, who shift, or make an attack against an ally as an opportunity attack.  Also if you have multiple knights, they will all get to make the attack, since its only prevented from stacking with marks, not other defender auras.

DungeonScape

Thanks for the further info...

I have only gotten to glance as the nre book... Mainly to build my Character and to check a couple of things...

Hopefully I will be getting my copy soon...

Just looked through some of my notes...

Battle Guardian is a Oppy with Miss damage... cool... I might need to make a Knight...

Now if I can just compile my notes in to one place...
Is anyone doing level 2 versions of the pregens?

Or can someone post what they are supposed to get at level 2? 

DungeonScape

Sign In to post comments