Encounters Web Page

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't even know who to point this out to, but the Encounters page hasn't been updated in weeks, including a lack of information on Season 3 content, character creation rules from the emails, etc.

Also, will Encounters play trackers be provided in pdf form for this season?

Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
Kyle, I share your frustration.

For Season Three, which starts Wednesday, I am feeling a little confused--and this is after two seasons of encounters.

I could use a bit more detail from WotC--specifically around character creation. For example, assuming that you have the Character Builder and a paid DDI Subscription, but do not have the Essentials Books [Red Box or HoFL] what are we supposed to do? Can we still build 'normal' 4E first level characters?

It would be really nice if we could get a preview of the pregens, like they did for WWD&D Day--Red Box.
Having seen the pregens, they are new Essentials builds.

And per this article and a few emails I received from WPN, character creation is Essentials-only: Red Box + the Heroes books. It would, however, be nice if this info were on the main Encounters page for players to find easily.

And I guess since the character builder hasn't been updated to include Essentials yet, they won't be able to do that until later in the season anyway.

**One thing I would suggest to WotC, if anyone is listening, is to include a new campaign ruleset in the upcoming character builder update for the current Encounters build limits (i.e. only these legal books) so that players can choose that and know that they're building a legal character without having to memorize what does and doesn't come from a product legal for character creation or double-check every single feat, power, etc. as they browse. Something similar was done for LFR and works fantastically for players new to that organized play program.
So....what happens if my players create a character from the PHB1, 2 or 3?  why exactally do we have to use pregens?  Sorry, im a new Encounters DM.
I'm assuming that if they create something from one of the 4E Players Handbooks, they're going to have to take a pregen and come back next week with a legal character that was made using HotFL (or they can continue using their pregen).
As to the 'why', there are a range of reasons but the most compelling one for me is the simplicity it presents DMs with. Because of its structure, this season of Encounters seems appropriate for new DMs, particularly as they could run one chapter/four weeks, then play for other parts and hand DMing off to someone else. If the range of rules elements they need to juggle is limited - and if the scope for complicated synergies is reduced - it makes the life of a new DM far easier than if they have to wonder what an ex-gnome revenant hybrid ardent/seeker with a runepriest multi-class feat does. 

It also makes life easier for new players as well, because they don't have get confused by what the other players have created, and don't feel that their characters are inferior or underpowered.  

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

I'll bring up the lack of updates in this week's report.

Play trackers were e-mailed in the last day or two to Organizers that ordered Encounters play kits.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Well, I received the email that said there was a link to the play tracker within, but there was only a link to the WPN Home Page and Wizards Help System.

Luckily the .zip file downloadable from the sanctioning site has been updated to include the character tracker sheet in a separate PDF.  I've uploaded the file to 4shared at the link below:

http://www.4shared.com/document/K-eAXzMw/DD_Encounters_Keep_Play_Tracke.html
Is this season using Reckless Breakage as well, and do we consider all weapons metal?
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Dungeons & Dragons Compendium
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
Reckless Breakage is a Dark Sun thing.  This is just straight up D&D.
I'll bring up the lack of updates in this week's report

Thanks.

Luckily the .zip file downloadable from the sanctioning site has been updated to include the character tracker sheet in a separate PDF.  I've uploaded the file to 4shared at the link below:

http://www.4shared.com/document/K-eAXzMw/DD_Encounters_Keep_Play_Tracke.html

Sweet, thanks.

The PDF you sent a link to includes a checkbox for Reckless Breakage at the bottom of each page.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook

The PDF you sent a link to includes a checkbox for Reckless Breakage at the bottom of each page.

Sure enough.  Blame WotC.  That reward is not in the adventure nor is it located on the tracking poster sent with the event kits.
Hm, I can't get the link to work. :\ Could you possibly e-mail it to me? jamestarke@gmail.com
hola, I just noticed that the official title is:
  Keep on the Borderlands - A Season of Serpents

and though I have not seen any serpents yet, I am heading to Dragontooth Hill!  Good to see some updates on the Encounters page! Thanks, David S.