A Century Of Good Elf

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let me preface this by saying that this deck is surely an abomination against all that is good deck-building.
The genesis of this deck is my wife, in her early playing days, saying "Here's a bunch of Elf cards I really like. Can you make a deck with them, please?". There were probably over 100 in the pile, and our nice, shiny new set of sleeves that we'd bought only had 100 sleeves onboard. So began the 100-card Elf deck.
Iteration 1 began life as a deck with a splash of blue for Intruder Alarm (which sends Imperious Perfect infinite with a mana elf next to it).
Iteration 2 was born out of a tiredness of the infinite combo and a need for much more card draw. The only thing sitting around at the time was a playset of Sylvan Echoes, so it got a clash component (Hint: Sylvan Echoes does not work. I think we had this together for a year, and I can probably count the amount of card draws it gave us on one hand).
And so begins Iteration 3...
Updated now to include the swapping of Momentous Fall for Genesis Wave. Heck yeah.
A Century Of Good Elf v3.2
Creatures - 38
4x Priest of Titania (best multiplayer elf)
4x Wirewood Channeler (not far behind, manafixes for our splashes)
4x Elvish Harbinger (manafixes for our splashes, tutors for half the deck)
4x Lys Alana Huntmaster (elf generation)
4x Jagged-Scar Archers (flying defense, beatstick)
2x Essence Warden (life, too good to leave out)
1x Wellwisher (life, too good to leave out)
2x Elvish Lyrist (enchantment removal)
2x Viridian Shaman (artifact removal)
1x Ezuri, Renegade Leader (finisher, in here as Overrun on an Elf body, and potential protection)
2x Imperious Perfect (lord, token generation)
1x Heedless One (finisher)
4x Immaculate Magistrate (finisher)
1x Triskelion (decent by itself, finisher next to the Magistrate)
2x Joraga Warcaller (lord that goes bananas next to a Magistrate)

Spells - 31
4x Thousand-Year Elixir (insane next to the elves, generates crazy mana with Priests/Channelers)
2x Rings of Brighthearth (great with Magistrate, Wellwisher, Ezuri and so on)
2x Ashnod's Altar (lethal mana generation with the tokens)
4x Elvish Promenade (elf generation extraordinaire)
2x Reclaim (a little recursion)
2x Sylvan Scrying (manafixer, Cradle-fetcher)
4x Genesis Wave (accelerator par excellence)
1x Abundance (card selection, really good with Momentous Fall)
1x Constant Mists (fog that is too good to leave out)
4x Rolling Thunder (finisher)
2x Roar of the Crowd (surprise finisher)
1x Recurring Nightmare (swaps my tokens for the bomb Elf you just killed)
1x Vampiric Tutor (tutor)
1x Diabolic Intent (tutor)

Land - 31
19x Forest
4x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Terramorphic Expanse (manafixing)
1x Evolving Wilds (ditto)
2x Gruul Turf (have been in here forever, and are pretty good, so they stay in)
1x Gaea's Cradle (derp)

To play:
1) Drop lots of elves fast.
2) Generate piles of elf tokens with Promenade and Huntmaster.
3) Win with a massive Rolling Thunder via elf mana and/or Ashnod's Altar;
or Magistrate + Triskelion;
or squish people via Heedless One, Magistrate/Warcaller or Ezuri;
or a surprise Roar of the Crowd.
4) Remove threats with Thunder, Triskelion or Archers.
5) Remove artifacts and enchantments with Lyrist and Shaman, recurring if necessary.
6) Do the whole pile at once with a massive Genesis Wave.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Hurricane would zap everyone at once; your life gain should (hopefully) counter it.

Repopulate and Fecundity could be neat.

Living Death and a certain forthcoming X-spell if you take a heavier BG route.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
As a self proclaimed expert at building an elf deck (I have been playing elf decks ever since I started playing Magic around Onslaught) I will gladly make some suggestions.

Overrun and similar effects (Tribal Forcemage, Overwhelming Stampede, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa is great.

Oracle of Mul Daya, Sylvan Messenger, Masked Admirers, Greater Good, Harmonize, Slate of Ancestry and Momentous Fall are great card advantage.

A lot of mana makes Wren's Run Packmaster, Oracle of Nectars, Centaur Glade and Riptide Replicator a whole lot more powerful.

Seeker of Skybreak makes all your tappers reusable

Elvish Archdruid taps for mana too.

If you want more specific advice just tell us what direction you want to take the deck into exactly. 
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Have you tried using Harmonize?  It's fantastic as far as 1-shot card draw goes.  It's the first card I think of in any deck running green.

As for ways to pack in the damage, Wildheart Invoker seems like a pretty interesting, out-of-the-box choice (which looks surprisingly good in your list).  I feel the need to also recommend Garruk Wildspeaker (my personal favorite Overrun effect) and the surprisingly effective Echoing Courage (instant mass-creature pump is incredibly good).

Are you getting that much utility out of your three black cards?  I wouldn't think (just looking at them) that they're terribly useful in this deck.  Just a thought is all.

I also think that Triskelion was a clever choice for this deck, although I think that you might want to up the number of Imperious Perfects to full playsets (they're too obscenely good), and maybe another 1 or 2 of these.

Also, any swarm-based deck could use Taunting Elf in my opinion.

Eternal Witness would be another fantastic creature for this deck.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Thanks for the replies, all!

1. I did indeed used to have Overruns in here. They'll probably go back in if Wildheart Invoker proves to not be as good as hoped. However, I get the feeling the Invoker has the chance to be quite special next to Rings of Brighthearth in particular - +10/+10 and trample for :10mana:? Yes please! Though obviously if I get a copy of either Garruk, Overwhelming Stampede or Kamahl, they're in here quickly.

2. Harmonize has always looked awesome, and yet I've somehow managed to avoid getting copies of them before now. I get the feeling if I'm going to purchase card drawers here, Momentous Fall may be the better option, but Harmonize is definitely Option #2. I think I've got a copy of Fecundity about, though - that could fit very well!

3. I did consider Seeker of Skybreak, but the Elixirs kind of make it redundant.

4. Hadn't thought of Taunting Elf (or Elvish Bard, for that matter)... that may be something well worth considering.

5. I actually did have a full playset of Perfects in here, and dropped it to two for this build. I agree, they are fantastic, but I decided at the time that I had better token generators and not much need for Elf lords here. Of course, I can be talked back into making it a full playset! ;)

6. Don't have a Living Death available, but I've got a Twilight's Call... not a bad second option. And I take it the "certain X spell in SoM" is
    Show
    Exsanguinate? YES. WANT.

I actually meant Immaculate Magistrate, but Imperious Perfect is always a good 4-of too.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I actually meant Immaculate Magistrate, but Imperious Perfect is always a good 4-of too.

Ah yes, a playset of Magistrates is most definately #1 on the list of things to do with this deck.

Harmonize has always looked awesome, and yet I've somehow managed to avoid getting copies of them before now. I get the feeling if I'm going to purchase card Don't have a Living Death available, but I've got a Twilight's Call... not a bad second option. And I take it the "certain X spell in SoM" is
Show
Exsanguinate? YES. WANT.

Wouldn't patriarch's bidding fit perfectly for you?  
Wouldn't patriarch's bidding fit perfectly for you?  

If I had one? You bet it would.

SCARS OF MIRRODIN SPOILER ALERT!!!

Show

In Scars there is also a great elf, Ezuri, Renegade Leader (google him if necessary)
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
SCARS OF MIRRODIN SPOILER ALERT!!!

Show

In Scars there is also a great elf, Ezuri, Renegade Leader (google him if necessary)

No kidding... I saw that and immediately thought "Well, I might as well just pull the Wildheart Invokers out of the deck, tear them into little pieces and set them on fire".

There are so many fun things to do with elf decks. My personal favorite is my elf-ball deck, , using mana elves and reusable mana untappers and junk to cast fireballs.

One friend of mine has an elf deck he just built not too long ago. It's main point is joraga warcaller and, as soon as I saw that, I immediately mentioned immaculate magistrate. I have a feeling that his deck is going to be crazy powerful. (To me, out of the 3 main classes; warrior, mage, rouge; his deck is warrior, for sure.)

(My elf-ball deck is mage.)

Another friend of mine had, at one point, an elf deck that completely owned. (Rouge, btw.) His deck used cards like elvish champion, timberwatch elf, and treetop scout. You can see the point, just sneak as much damage through as possible for the win.

Then you have infinite elf decks, like my brother's deck. He uses umbral mantle on a priest of titania and any choice of X spells. He hates it, and now wants to make an elf-ball deck like mine...

There are plenty of great types/themes to use for elf decks. I don't know what kind of elf deck you want to make, but one thing I can say for sure is that viridian zealot is better than elvish lyrist and elvish scrapper.

Good luck with this deck!
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
This looks like some real old-school elf deck. Something that I had when I was in school. I remember mine used to run priest of titanias.

However, youre missing out on some modern elves. Im gonna give you some options from my current standard-legal elf deck plus some others.

elvish archdruid - ton of mana and boosts elves.
joraga warcaller - I would prefer this over coat of arms since this is an elf. put any kind of +1/+1 counters on this and your elves get insanely large. Immaculate magistrate + this? huhuhu
nissa revane - Youre missing out on the only Elf planeswalker. Nissa's second ability gains tons and tons of life with your deck, better than wellwisher. She also provides you with more elves if you have Nissa's chosen in the deck. Not to mention her ultimate which is something to aspire to
fauna shaman - swap a random elf to the elf you want.

bramblewood paragon - good synergy with many other elves such as warcaller or imperious perfect, etc.

gaea's cradle - get more mana
crop rotation - swap a random forest into cradle. You already have sylvan scrying though. 

if you want some place to spend the mana from priests and archdruids:
wolfbriar elemental even though its not an elf, you will get pretty imposing board position by dumping mana into it.

And my current standard elf-decks finisher: eldrazi monument. Nissa keeps this on table infinitely by fetching the sacrificed Nissa's chosen.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
I think Genesis Wave is begging to be played in elves.
Step 1: make loads of mana with your elves
Step 2: play genesis wave
Step 3: profit.

Add Concordant Crossroads or splash a little red for Fires of Yavimaya and let Elfness ensue.
If G/R don't forget bloodbraid elf. Personally I dont think trying to get elves haste is worth it. Crossroads will help your opponents too and in multiplayer that may be bad.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
I added red to my elf lords deck once I had 4 promo Bloodbraid Elf (the art is infinitely better on the promo). I only play red for those and I love them. Haste is good but they also always bring a friend which is important for elves because they do need some board position to be dangerous (a single fattie like Akroma is already something to be reckoned with, a single or even 2 or 3 elves often isn't). 

Throwing this thread back up, so that it can make it into Alorand's Elf Archetype thread, and to show the updated decklist.

And also for your thoughts.
This deck is freaking awesome on paper. What I'm finding at the moment is that it's getting absolutely pwned by removal, and doesn't have the card draw to recover. I'm undecided as to whether this is an endemic problem with the deck just yet, or whether I seem to have the unfortunate habit of playing this at the same time one of my buddies suits up his Deathbringer Liege deck (which seems to almost be this deck's mortal enemy).
Either way, it has me pondering removing some of the more creature-centric cards like Roar of the Crowd, and searching for more protection. Maybe Asceticism or Privileged Position? I'd run Eladamri, but he gives full shroud, which completely neuters Immaculate Magistrate.

I know he's not an elf. But if you're playing a 100-card deck anyway, Regal Force could get silly.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.