Ultramodern4 / NeuroSpasta official

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Promotion2011.jpg
It is official.  Dias Ex Machina is releasing two books in early 2011. 

Ultramodern4 (U4) – Universal 4th Edition Modern / Science Fiction rules.

Fully compatible with D&D, including newer books like Players Handbook 3.

FEATURES

--The new "Ladder" system that offers more adjustability with character creation. Modify your class with one of six ladders.  Dozens of different combinations. 

--Eleven new modern classes including Sniper, Faceman, Infiltrator, and Grappler. 

--Rules for creating a non-combat classes.

--Expanded rules for more realistic role-playing within the architecture of 4th Edition.

--New armor including powered combat suits.

--New skills & feats.

--All new weapons including traditional firearms, rocket launchers, and laser rifles.

--Pimp your auto. Purchase vehicles and modify them.

--All new opponents from fanatics and guerillas to tanks and giant robots.

NeuroSpasta

Ultramodern4 Campaign setting.

Espionage / Counterterrorism / Cyberpunk

FEATURES

--The hacker class, the Manipulator.

--Four new races: Nugenic, Prosthetic, True-Born, and Virtuant.

--An entire spectrum of cybernetics from the simple brain implant to total body prosthesis.

--Install and run programs in allies and enemies.

--Remote control robots from microscopic bugs to walking talks.

Been hearing some great things about this from the publisher's design team, and I really look forward to seeing the finished product.  Some very innovative Character Class and Build design is going to be emplyed in this one, and although I'll reserve judgement until I can see how it all fits together, it looks like some potential for very exciting campaign possibilities!
I soo wanna have it! But so long away still ;(
Interesting, I'm not sure if I would have gone with classes for a modern game. DnD is kind of married to the party idea of a fighter, theif, cleric, and wizard but modern games never really have been married to that. I do like that one of the classes is a "face."

How will armor work? armor is not used much in modern times.
I didn't feel comfortable rewriting how classes worked.  We offer 10+ classes with U4 but they have fewer power options each level.  Variety comes from ladders.  This may be appealing to you.  The way the system works is that you can customize your character by taking powers from your class or your ladder.  Your ladder is more of who you are rather that your class, which is what you do.  Because of these combinations, there are over 60 combinations of class/ladders.

As for armor, some classes have armor bonuses to compensate their lack of protection.   
Interesting, I'm not sure if I would have gone with classes for a modern game. DnD is kind of married to the party idea of a fighter, theif, cleric, and wizard but modern games never really have been married to that. I do like that one of the classes is a "face."

How will armor work? armor is not used much in modern times.

In life everyone has roles that they fill.  Managers manage, and programmers program.  Generally if you want to be good at anything, you stick to one specific area or niche.

Rolemaster Cyberpunk didn't have a 'face'... it was called a 'sleaze'.

Classes in 4th edition refer almost strictly to combat.  Outside of combat is what you make of it.  So I'm sure that even some classic 4e classes would be quite usable in the far future.  ie. Monks would fit just fine.  Just add modern skills.  I know a few people trained in sword play, but not guns.  Perhaps a few rule adjustments would put some older classes back into use. i.e. a handgun can be used in the place of a Hand Crossbow.

In the vain of Ghost In The Shell, you'll need some combat hacking to attack people.  I'm sure that hacking someone's eyes like Major Kusanagi or Batou will be Daily or Encounter powers.

Also, Armour is used quite a lot these days.  Here's some 'used' armour photos;
thebrigade.com/2010/11/02/amazing-storie...

You can even buy your own!  Oh man... Ceramic plates are sniper proof.  That's what those plates were that the soldiers were holding up on TheBrigade.
www.bulletproofvestshop.com/
Im looking forward to this.  Really, I am.
I really hope this is still on schedule for 2011.
All the time upon watching Ghost in the Shell I was thinking that something like that would make for a brilliant RPG setting.

Also lately with my group we had been considering the idea of a sci-fi space-opera campaign using 4E rules, but we couldn't find anything out there: hopefully U4 will be flexible enough to allow something like that. If they play this right U4 could become the new Alternity (with better luck on the commercial success, I wish ).

I'm particularly curious about U4 take on roles (defender, striker, leader...), since, upon my experience with 4E, I think they really help giving focus to the players and encouraging teamwork, so it would be iteresting to see if and how they've managed to translate them in a modern/sci-fi context.
We missed the 2011 windows, but we are back on for this year, now being simultaneously released for both 4th Edition and Pathfinder.  

The 4th Edition version will be compatible with both Amethyst and Ultramodern4, though the latter is preferred.  It will include cybernetics, hacking, and the campaign setting (along with an adventure).

Right now, the issue is monster creation in Pathfinder and financing, both which should be resolved in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, here is some more artwork...