9/15/2010 StF: "Myr Thee Well"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I just have to say, I freakin love that insane Battlesphere! I'm glad the reservoir will enable a Myr deck.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

My biggest disappointment is that the Reservoir is not a Tribal Artifact - Myr. I cannot use one to power another, and that makes me a little sad.

That said, between six mana myrs and this thing (and even the galvanizer), do myr decks NEED anymore acceleration? Oh well, doesn't matter: retrieving Myr Retriever is what I'm all about with this card. I just hope the Necrogen Pinata Myr gives us a "sac ~: do something cool" effect to recur. We've already got a "big myr" to recur in the Battlesphere (which is still amazingly awesome). 
This card is very dumb from a flavor perspective.  You're just tossing out the idea that Mirrodin is dotted with additional mini-Lacunae, as if that fact was totally insignificant?  And what's this vague nonsense about "artificers and industrious myr alike" - make up your minds about whether these things are tools or lifeforms!  "Subtle intellect that hides beneath their devotion to duty?"  "A symbol, a gathering place and an institution"?  Go run for congress, Beyer, your skills in bloviation are wasted as a flavor writer whose job is to make things make sense.

All snark aside, though, I love the last couple lines - "Given any model, there will be contradictions with canon - but it's Magic."

And those look an awful lot like dual lands.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
After reading this, I am beginning to compare the Myr to Pikmins.
If the Myr are like Pikmin, it's probably a good thing it's never really night on Mirrodin!
And what's this vague nonsense about "artificers and industrious myr alike" - make up your minds about whether these things are tools or lifeforms!

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!

I've always thought the Myr were artificial life. They can propagate themselves, or have more made. Their tasks are fairly set, but they have will and intelligence in how they go about them.
This card is very dumb from a flavor perspective.  You're just tossing out the idea that Mirrodin is dotted with additional mini-Lacunae, as if that fact was totally insignificant?  And what's this vague nonsense about "artificers and industrious myr alike" - make up your minds about whether these things are tools or lifeforms!  "Subtle intellect that hides beneath their devotion to duty?"  "A symbol, a gathering place and an institution"?  Go run for congress, Beyer, your skills in bloviation are wasted as a flavor writer whose job is to make things make sense.

All snark aside, though, I love the last couple lines - "Given any model, there will be contradictions with canon - but it's Magic."

And those look an awful lot like dual lands.

His comments do make sense.  While Memnarch used them as tools to monitor Mirrodin, the myr themselves possessed some intelligence, as evidenced by the flavor text in Mirrodin's Silver Myr.  During the time of Memnarch, the myr probably only did a certain task that he intended them to do, not much else.  Now that Memnarch is gone, the myr can do whatever they want, just like any other lifeform.

Myr Reservoirs may have been on the original Mirrodin, however until Memnarch was defeated and the myr were free to do as they pleased the reservoirs probably saw little use.  Of course, I could be wrong and he IS just tossing around the idea of mini-lacunae without them being on Mirrodin before.

As to the card itself, I am now wanting to make a new Myr deck for Scars of Mirrodin.  I had an old Myr deck from the original Mirrodin, but with the new Myr cards, the deck can definitely become stronger.

It does seem as though we are going to have dual lands in this set. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I think they just sort of look like Lacunae, they're not providing near that amount of mana though.

I think it's appropriate for the flavor guy to leave things confusing if that makes the set more interesting.  Tht's his job, after all.

I'm looking forward to the day ten years from now or so when we come back to mirrodin again when someone  (bolas?) tries to steal/use the suns of mirrodin in some diabolical plot.  If they really are huge balls of mana, that is a great deal of power just sitting in the sky right?
you have holes as big as sun in yout plot ans answering a letter on sun cosmology? (and ignoring others). first, explain how did the oil stay in xancha's heart all that time without urza seeing it? second, explain all the karona/ma nonsense
It's interesting to see something like this card. It does feel a little weird to have it not help the other myr associated artifacts (Genesis Chamber, Myr Matrix, and Myr Incubator). But who knows, at 3 mana, it may be cheap enough to push out Galvinizers, which work well with the mana myr to go infinite. I kind of like the execution of that from the flavor standpoint: the myr work together to get their machinery to activate in a timely manner in battle instead of just being churned out.

The only weird thing is that it does really crowd the 3 mana slot in a hypothetical myr deck. This actually competes with Myr Galvanizer AND Palladium Myr at the 3 mana spot. They could have made the second effect cost 1 less and bump it up to 4 mana or lowered the mana cost to 2 mana and have it read "Myr can play mana abilities from the turn they come under your control" so the 3 spot wouldn't feel so awkward. 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107006864516990804523/about

It does seem as though we are going to have dual lands in this set. 

Huh, I totally missed those, but looking at them again they do seem like artwork for two allied color lands. Wonder what we're getting instead of Maro's poison duals.

Also mildly disappointed that today's preview card wasn't some kind of myr specific non-basic land, but still looks like fun. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
"There may be a model that makes sense of it, but if there is, it probably involves a significant amount of mystical weirdness, and isn't buildable with some wires and rubber balls."

This made me quite annoyed, since there is an actual, physical, Magic the Gathering card- Vedalken Orrery- which depicts JUST THIS, and which wasn't even mentioned.
second, explain all the karona/ma nonsense

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but in case you just haven't read the novel, here's the short answer:

Show
Akroma combined with Phage and an old lady whose name I forget and turned into Karona, the incarnation of all Dominaria's magic.  Karona was defeated and turned back into Jeska, Kamahl's sister who had died and been resurrected as Phage.  While she was Karona, Jeska planeswalked to a plane that I *think* the continuity department has decided was an alternate universe Phyrexia or something, that part's not very clear at this stage - anyway, she talked to Yawgmoth there, then she came back to Dominaria, got her Karona-butt kicked, and turned back into Jeska, whereupon Karn picked her up and took her planeswalking to Mirrodin and elsewhere.

As to Karn's heartstone, Urza put it there in the first place, so it's likely he didn't notice the minute quantities of glistening oil it contained, and never thought to check in the subsequent thousand years because he was preoccupied with his war on Phyrexia.  You may recall he was a tad obsessive and tended to ignore things he didn't care about (like Barrin).
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
"There may be a model that makes sense of it, but if there is, it probably involves a significant amount of mystical weirdness, and isn't buildable with some wires and rubber balls."

This made me quite annoyed, since there is an actual, physical, Magic the Gathering card- Vedalken Orrery- which depicts JUST THIS, and which wasn't even mentioned.

Nice find. I guess Mr. Beyer should do more research instead of ignoring the old flavour! Noone really likes retcons.
Don't quite understand how you can pronounce Myr to get the pun in the article title to work.

Hello to all.

Reading the "Myr Thee Well" article I was inspired by the 5 sun theme of mirrodin and made some cards that depict this theme.

Here is a picture for you:

i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx22/saleroa...

Enjoy!Smile

Sign In to post comments