4E "Advanced" Essentials Style Character Sheet

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I've taken the Essentials character sheet and added in a lot of the stuff that was missing. I've made it capable of supporting play all the way to 30th level. It's still a single sheet, but power cards (or a separate sheet for powers) will be necessary for play. I'm sure I've messed something up somewhere, so let me know if I made any mistakes.

Here's a summary of the changes I made:

1. Added boxes for passive insight and perception. Not sure about how these look.

2. 'Feats and Powers' box is now just for feats and has enough lines for up to 20 feats.

3. Removed reminder text from several places to make more room.

4. Added extra boxes for bonus types to defenses, attacks, powers, etc.

5. Added situational modifiers box for defenses.

6. Added damage line with bonus boxes to attacks, along with notes for each attack.

7. Removed HP tracking box to make more room. Added resistances and save bonuses.

8. Added several lines to 'equipment and magic items' section.

9. Completely re-did right-hand side. Race, background, theme, class, paragon path and epic destiny each have their own section, with benefits and powers sections under them. There is only one power space under theme. Theme power swaps should be listed under class.

10. Added 'Utility/Skill/Misc. Power' section. This is the place to put all your class and skill utility powers. The extra space under paragon path and epic destiny can be used for the utilities you gain from those options, but there should be enough room to put all of your utilities on the master U/S/M power list. This is just in case your path or destiny happens to have an extra feature that is written as a power or grants you an extra power from another source.

11. Wealth box was moved to bottom right and had to be made a bit smaller.

I think that about covers everything. Let me know what you think. This is just version 1.0, so I'm interested in hearing what everyone likes and doesn't like. Also, if anyone knows of a free font that looks more like the one from the original sheet (I think it's called FF Legato), please let me know where to get it.

---------------------------------------------

Update: New version 1.2 in B&W and Color

CHANGES

• Added extra power slots for epic destiny and paragon path. Powers per game element now = Race:1, Theme: 1, Class: 10, Path: 3, Destiny: 2, Utility/Skill: 10.

• Moved wealth to middle column by slightly shrinking magic item lines and:

• Made healing surges and surges per day one line instead of two.

• Increased size of class feature box.

STILL TO COME

• Power Sheet

• Form-fill version

STILL NEED

• A free font that looks more like the one on the sheet (I think it is FF Legato).

QUESTIONS

• Are there enough power slots per game element?

• Is there enough room for class/race features?

• Any other suggestions?

---------------------------------------------

Update: New version 1.1 has better placement for passive insight and perception.

Advanced Essentials Character Sheet v1.1

Advanced Essentials Character Sheet v1.0
I really like it and think it is much better than the stock one.  The only thing I don't like is the passive boxes.  They took me a while to find and look out of place after I did.  Personally I don't think a seperate box is needed for them, its easy to add 10 to the check number.  Thats my only criticism, the rest is fanstastic.
I like it as well. Yeah, the passive senses are kind of hidden, but there doesn't seem to be a great place for them and as Delmont said, it's easy to just add 10.

Thanks for creating and sharing it with us. 
Thanks very much I've already printed some out for my friends and myself.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Very nicely done, thank you.

I'll prolly get more use out of yours than the official version.  I like being able to track and add up all those misc. modifiers ;), especially if I'm writing it out by hand.

/\ Art 
/\ Art
This is very well done!  I like this a lot more than the official one; it's pretty intuitive and uncluttered but still has room for calculations and important info.
Thanks everyone! I'm going to work on finding a better place for the passive boxes. I'll upload v1.1 when I figure something out.
Okay I give up. Where are the passive boxes? Do we really need passive skill boxes to begin with?

Oh yeah, great looking sheet.

Any Edition

Okay, here's a new version. I think I like this. I moved the passive boxes over to defenses. There was plenty of room, and I think it looks pretty good.

Version 1.1 - Advanced Essentials Character Sheet
It looks great, but shouldn't there be three slots for Paragon Path powers instead of 2? Or are you supposed to put the level 12 power under Utilities? If that's the case, why have a PP/ED area at all-- you could just list those encounter and daily slots with your other ones.

But, yeah. Great sheet overall.
This would be my go-to sheet if there were fillable text fields on it. My handwriting is terrible and it's just not nice to put my players through that sort of torment. Excellent sheet though, great work!
This is a very cool sheet - it takes the Essentials sheet in a  useful direction for upper-level play.  Thanks much for putting this out there for our use/review!

A couple pieces of feedback, looking at the 1.1 sheet as linked from the OP:
1) In the era of power cards, why have powers listed on the sheet at all?  

There isn't enough room (or, rather, space set aside) on the sheet to describe the effects of a power, so the only thing the sheet tells us that's relevant for actual gameplay is how often we can use a power and whether we've used it up or not.  Given how much space the power lists take up on the character sheet, (24 lines in the right-hand column, by my count), I'm not sure this information is worth the space it takes up, especially (again), when we can just turn over power cards to show we've used the power.  

I would personally rather see a space for quest or notes, per the original Essentials sheet only smaller to accommodate your excellent Background and Theme spaces.  I find that unless you play very frequently, the players will forget what they're doing and who (NPC-wise) they've met, so putting that right there on the sheet might serve as a memory and motivation aid.  

Alternatively, you could use the extra space to give more room to describe feats and class features. Maybe I have big handwriting, but 18 lines in one column is not enough room for me to write down what my 18 feats do.

2) the Attack workspace: I think this might be better served either completely removed (more space for feats, features, passive skills and other notes), or specified for Basic Attacks only. I've never seen a good implementation of a "general attack workspace," mostly because PCs' powers are defined, don't change much, and, yet again, it's easier to have this info on power cards.

3) It might be advisable to have a line/half line in the Equipment section specified for each item slot, which would allow PCs to track item daily power uses and ensures that they don't have multiple items per slot.  I'm not sure about the best way to implement this, though...

4) The passive perception and insight spaces are in the "defenses" box, but they're not strictly speaking "Defenses" in a rules definition perspective.  If you got rid of the attack workspace, you could fit them right above the initiative and speed, in the order top to bottom that they might be used at the start of a combat (Ie, first you use perception or insight to determine surprise, then you roll initiative).

5) It might also be worth it to consider making the sheet in a black and white version.  Color ink is expensive

Just some thoughts and suggestions.  Thanks again for making the sheet - you took what was good about the essentials sheet and improved it a whole bunch.

Aoi

I liked the new sheet but it does feel a bit cluttered. The original sheet had a strong appealed to me because it looked  so simple and clean; Only it did not have enough room in the Powers and Feats section to list everything a character might want to put their.

Do you think its possible to create a sheet similar to the original except just flip-flop the spaces Notes and Feats/Powers take up so that blank Notes box is small un-lined box below the skills and have an extended Feats/Powers lined section where the Notes were below the Character information?
It looks great, but shouldn't there be three slots for Paragon Path powers instead of 2? Or are you supposed to put the level 12 power under Utilities?

I knew I would miss something obvious. Yes, I did miss a power slot for paragon path. Thanks for reminding me.

This would be my go-to sheet if there were fillable text fields on it. My handwriting is terrible and it's just not nice to put my players through that sort of torment. Excellent sheet though, great work!

Thank you. I'll try to get a form-fill version when I get all the kinks worked out of the regular version.

This is a very cool sheet - it takes the Essentials sheet in a  useful direction for upper-level play.  Thanks much for putting this out there for our use/review!

A couple pieces of feedback, looking at the 1.1 sheet as linked from the OP:
1) In the era of power cards, why have powers listed on the sheet at all?  

There isn't enough room (or, rather, space set aside) on the sheet to describe the effects of a power, so the only thing the sheet tells us that's relevant for actual gameplay is how often we can use a power and whether we've used it up or not.  Given how much space the power lists take up on the character sheet, (24 lines in the right-hand column, by my count), I'm not sure this information is worth the space it takes up, especially (again), when we can just turn over power cards to show we've used the power. 

2) the Attack workspace: I think this might be better served either completely removed (more space for feats, features, passive skills and other notes), or specified for Basic Attacks only. I've never seen a good implementation of a "general attack workspace," mostly because PCs' powers are defined, don't change much, and, yet again, it's easier to have this info on power cards.

3) It might be advisable to have a line/half line in the Equipment section specified for each item slot, which would allow PCs to track item daily power uses and ensures that they don't have multiple items per slot.  I'm not sure about the best way to implement this, though...

4) The passive perception and insight spaces are in the "defenses" box, but they're not strictly speaking "Defenses" in a rules definition perspective.  If you got rid of the attack workspace, you could fit them right above the initiative and speed, in the order top to bottom that they might be used at the start of a combat (Ie, first you use perception or insight to determine surprise, then you roll initiative).

5) It might also be worth it to consider making the sheet in a black and white version.  Color ink is expensive

Re: Powers
The powers being on the sheet is more for keeping track of what powers you have and from what source you acquired them. They do take up quite a bit of space, but I think that having a master list of your character's powers other than your cards is important. Though, at some point, I do want to make an Essentials style power sheet for a 2-page version of this sheet.

Re: Attack Workspace
Hmmm, I could change this if I receive enough feedback about it. But the attack workspace is something that I personally get a lot of use out of. This is where I list my basic attacks or the attacks I use most and all of my miscellaneous combat modifiers that apply to all my attacks. Like with my warlock, this is where I put '+1 hit bloodied, +1 hit prime, +2 hit CA, +7 dmg blood, +5 dmg prime' etc. All the stuff that doesn't show up on the CB power cards would go here.

Re: Magic Items
I put enough lines for all the slots plus some more for other equipment. I didn't want to specifically designate lines for each slot because I want everyone to be able to use the equipment section how they want.

Re: Passive Skills
Well, they are the defense someone rolls against when making a stealth or bluff "attack".   I kinda like them there, but I could change them if enough people agree on a better place to put them.

Re: Black & White
This could definitely be done. I'll try to get one up tonight of this version, and I'll start releasing the color and B&W versions when I put up new versions. Thanks for the suggestions!

I liked the new sheet but it does feel a bit cluttered. The original sheet had a strong appealed to me because it looked  so simple and clean; Only it did not have enough room in the Powers and Feats section to list everything a character might want to put their.

Do you think its possible to create a sheet similar to the original except just flip-flop the spaces Notes and Feats/Powers take up so that blank Notes box is small un-lined box below the skills and have an extended Feats/Powers lined section where the Notes were below the Character information?

After I get the sheet in a more finalized form, I'll probably go back and do some variants.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've got some good ideas for the next version, but I always appreciate more. I'll probably get a new one finished over the weekend.

Plans
Upload black and white versions along with color.
Make a variant two-page sheet with the second page being a full power sheet. So you can use the one page sheet and power cards, or just the two page sheet with no cards.
Make minor tweaks here and there to optimize space and usability.
Find a free font that looks more like FF Legato. Anyone know of one?
Make a form-fill version.
Correct the missing paragon path power slot.
Something I need is one section to list all of the bonuses. One part for attack bonus, one part for damage bonuses. This includes ...

Constant (static, trait, etc.) personal bonuses (ability bonus, level bonus, class, race, etc.) - even if naked these apply

Constant accessory bonuses for each implement or weapon, one for attacks, one for damage (enhancement bonus, shard bonus, superior implement bonus, expertise bonus, Ruin damage, sorta constant Dual-Implement Spellcasting, etc.)

Situational attack bonuses (Auspicious Dice, Luckblade, Good Timing power, Learned Action paragon feature, Arcane Underpinning paragon action, Lucky Charm, Distant Advantage (CA) feat, Bravo feat, Circlet of Mental Onslaught, etc.) - situational bonuses only sometimes come into play depending on encounter, daily, consumable, or positional (like flanking, cover, distance, etc.)

Situational damage bonuses (Brightleaf consumable, Bloodied Gauntlets, Impending Victory feat, Arcane Malice feat, Bravo feat, Circlet of Mental Onslaught, Storm Sorcerer damage type penetration, special crit effects, etc.)

And so on.

And a place for all of the constant and situational Defense bonuses.

Its a challenge to present all of these wildly different situational bonuses all in one place, but they are too easy to forget or take too long to look up or too inconvenient to add up.

Maybe see what you can come up with? 
How about a space for a character portrait?
 Re: Powers
The powers being on the sheet is more for keeping track of what powers you have and from what source you acquired them. They do take up quite a bit of space, but I think that having a master list of your character's powers other than your cards is important. Though, at some point, I do want to make an Essentials style power sheet for a 2-page version of this sheet.

I think it's a cost-benefit issue - there's certainly a benefit to having a master list of powers, but I'm not sure that benefit is worth the cost in space taken up on the sheet though.  I guess I'm not sure why I need to know how I got my powers.  Given that each power is so self-contained, I'm not sure it matters that I got this power from my class, this one from my PP, this one from my multiclass power swap feat, etc.  

We may have to agree to disagree, and in that case you win because you're the one being awesome and making up the sheet .
And, given how great of a job you did with this sheet, I'm eagerly awaiting your power sheet as well .

Re: Attack Workspace
Hmmm, I could change this if I receive enough feedback about it. But the attack workspace is something that I personally get a lot of use out of. This is where I list my basic attacks or the attacks I use most and all of my miscellaneous combat modifiers that apply to all my attacks. Like with my warlock, this is where I put '+1 hit bloodied, +1 hit prime, +2 hit CA, +7 dmg blood, +5 dmg prime' etc. All the stuff that doesn't show up on the CB power cards would go here.

I still think that, assuming one uses power cards, having so much space for something that will be repeated on a power card is an inefficient allocation of space.  
However, I do see your point, particularly in regard to those conditional modifiers that would not show up on a CB power card.  In general, it might be interesting to try a series of boxes for conditional modifiers to common rolls (attack, skill, damage, etc).  That might be an experiment for a different sheet, though.

Re: Magic Items
I put enough lines for all the slots plus some more for other equipment. I didn't want to specifically designate lines for each slot because I want everyone to be able to use the equipment section how they want.

Fair enough

Re: Passive Skills
Well, they are the defense someone rolls against when making a stealth or bluff "attack".   I kinda like them there, but I could change them if enough people agree on a better place to put them.

You're the boss, dude. 

Re: Black & White
This could definitely be done. I'll try to get one up tonight of this version, and I'll start releasing the color and B&W versions when I put up new versions. Thanks for the suggestions!

Much appreciated!  Thank you for taking suggestions!

Aoiro: 'I still think that, assuming one uses power cards, having so much space for something that will be repeated on a power card is an inefficient allocation of space.'

I probably agree here.

'In general, it might be interesting to try a series of boxes for conditional modifiers to common rolls (attack, skill, damage, etc).  That might be an experiment for a different sheet, though.'

Even a separate optional sheet that lists all the info of powers to replace the power cards might be ok for those who want this format. It could be great place to put all the possible conditional modifiers.

Thanks, guys. I'm about to leave for my weekly game, so I hope to have a new version of the sheet up in color and black and white by Monday. If I have time, hopefully I'll get the two-page version with the power sheet done too. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!
I really like this sheet as well.  Though my wife would like to know if you have the space to put a current hit points area like the orginal sheet has.
I really, really like this sheet, specifically the Skill placement and the Passive placement.  It's also great that you've condensed it all to one page without it appearing cluttered.  Is there any way to turn this into a writable PDF file?

My only concern, and I'm not sure if this has been addressed, is that there may not be enough space for all of the Powers.  I know people have mentioned that there's not room to say what the powers do, but that's what Power Cards and books are for.  I'd just like to make sure there's enough room for those.  Also, a spot for Power Points could be a nice addition!

EDIT: Ah!  It looks like everything I was requesting is already being implemented!  This is most excellent. 
bump.gif
very nice, i like this sheet much more than the ones provided by wotc
Are you still working on another version of this sheet?

Heh, the pressure is on. I know trying to make sense of all the situational modifiers is a daunting task. Maybe some of us can start making our own 'powers sheet' with areas for the modifiers as proposals. Maybe therel be a consensus on an arrangement that most people find helpful.

Wow, sorry for the delay, everyone. Life has been kicking my ass lately (not in a bad way, just in a really busy way). I haven't had time to work on this at all since the last time I posted here, but I'm going to get back to it very soon. Maybe tonight if I finish up my group's adventure for tomorrow soon enough. I should definitely have some kind of update posted by the weekend. Sorry again, and thanks for understanding.
Excellent work. Love seeing these kind of community efforts to improve everyone's enjoyment of the game.

Thanks for the effort so far and looking forward to your next offering!
Gazra,
What program did you use to make this sheet?  Would it be possible to get an original?  I am running a homebrew campaign and have some unique stat sheet items that I would like to add.  Regardless, great job and thank you for all of the hard work!

Dave
Great job with this and thank you for the effort.  It is appreciated.
Gazra,
What program did you use to make this sheet?  Would it be possible to get an original?  I am running a homebrew campaign and have some unique stat sheet items that I would like to add.  Regardless, great job and thank you for all of the hard work!

Dave

I just used Photoshop CS5 and exported to PDF. I don't have anything different than the latest version of the sheet because I always end up merging my layers when I'm satisfied with something. It's an OCD thing.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I know I promised an update soon, but I think that every single thing that could possibly happen to demand time from someone has happened to me, my family and friends over the past few weeks. I think I might be well-equipped to become a crisis counselor when all this finally blows over. I'm not going to make any more promises; I'll just tell you all that I'm going to try hard to find some time very soon to do some more work on the sheet. Thanks again, everyone!

PS: It's starting to sound like I work on Character Builder or something. Laughing
PS: It's starting to sound like I work on Character Builder or something. Laughing

Nah, if that were so you wouldn't have replied. You at least communicate. ;)

-Cal 
AWESOME!

Thanks!
Gazra,

Dave

I just used Photoshop CS5 and exported to PDF. I don't have anything different than the latest version of the sheet because I always end up merging my layers when I'm satisfied with something. It's an OCD thing.

I used to do that as well, but with massive amounts of drive space and ram available now I almost never flatten.

I ended up making my own in indesign, I think it is a bit better or layout work  than photoshop.
Okay, finally got some work done on this. Here are color and black and white versions of version 1.2.

CHANGES

• Added extra power slots for epic destiny and paragon path. Powers per game element now = Race:1, Theme: 1, Class: 10, Path: 3, Destiny: 2, Utility/Skill: 10.

• Moved wealth to middle column by slightly shrinking magic item lines and:

• Made healing surges and surges per day one line instead of two.

• Increased size of class feature box.

STILL TO COME

• Power Sheet

• Form-fill version

STILL NEED

• A free font that looks more like the one on the sheet (I think it is FF Legato).

QUESTIONS

• Are there enough power slots per game element?

• Is there enough room for class/race features?

• Any other suggestions?

My only issue is that it is hard to read the stuff in the boxes when I use my laser and print on draft mode (which is my deafult setting). It is not much better in non-draft, which I assume is because those are not words, but images, and therefor my 'print all text as black' option does not help.

I am almost thinking this seet idea would be better served by making these kinds of changes to the 2-page sheet they put up this week.

Other than those minor quabbles, I think it is a really good sheet for people that like the Essentials style sheets, but still want the 'math guidance' that the original sheet provided.
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
Sign In to post comments