Is there any way to get a 3rd At-Will, besides the usual ways...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know the obvious ways...

Play a Human.
Play a Half-Elf and at Paragon pick up Versatile Master.
Paragon multiclassing
Some psionic classes

I am going to be playing a Githzerai Monk and there are 3 At-Wills I like, and its hard to settle on just 2 of them. Thought there might be a way to get a 3rd that I wasn't thinking of. Even if its a magic item that allows it, that'd be a start...
Revenant/past life half elf with half elf soul and versatile master works as well, I guess, but it's more of a footnote to the normal half elf option. 

(Not to thread-jack, but I've kinda been wondering if, for said revenant, using dark reaping would invalidate the dilettante at-will for the remainder of the encounter, but I digress)
I know the obvious ways...

Play a Human.
Play a Half-Elf and at Paragon pick up Versatile Master.
Paragon multiclassing
Some psionic classes

I am going to be playing a Githzerai Monk and there are 3 At-Wills I like, and its hard to settle on just 2 of them. Thought there might be a way to get a 3rd that I wasn't thinking of. Even if its a magic item that allows it, that'd be a start...

A bit of a correction, paragon MC doesn't give you a 3rd at-will, it lets you trade out an at-will for one of your MC class.

But yeah, you are kinda stuck with 2 at-wills as a githzerai monk. Lemme guess, Fallen Needle, Five Storms, and Dancing Cobra right?

A bit of a correction, paragon MC doesn't give you a 3rd at-will, it lets you trade out an at-will for one of your MC class.

I think the PHB3 says that if you Paragon MC and one of your classes has psionic augmentation an the other does not, you do gain a third augmentable at-will (which doesn't help a monk get 3 monk at wills).

Will Reincarnate Champion allow you to choose a third at will if you choose Human as a past life? I'm thinking no since is say a Racial Power, but it was a thought.
Sure.

(1) be proficient in wands
(2) have a way of switching items as a free action, such as Disembodied Hand
(3) carry a lot of Master Wands
(4) ???
(5) Profit!
Sure.

(1) be proficient in wands
(2) have a way of switching items as a free action, such as Disembodied Hand
(3) carry a lot of Master Wands
(4) ???
(5) Profit!

Magic Missile works pretty well for this.  Auto damage+push has it's uses.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Druids get an additional at-will. Asside from that, the Half-Elf Polymath PP gives another at-will as its level 16 feature. This is sort of another foodnote for half-elfs though.
Will Reincarnate Champion allow you to choose a third at will if you choose Human as a past life? I'm thinking no since is say a Racial Power, but it was a thought.

No, that ED only gives you racial encounter powers, and the third at-will is not a racial power or an encounter power.

But yeah, you are kinda stuck with 2 at-wills as a githzerai monk. Lemme guess, Fallen Needle, Five Storms, and Dancing Cobra right?

Close...

Dragon Tail...  I like the prone attack and the "swap places" ability.

Five Storms vs Steel Wind...

I like the AE options.  Five Storms has the potential to hit more opponents than Steel Wind, and again, I like the Movement technique of it.  On the other hand, with Steel Wind, I can stay out of melee attack range.
Yet another half-elf footnote:  Reincarnate Champion + Revenant + Half-Elf soul.  So in epic, as long as your monk has a primal class MC, you could pick it up.

Finally:  Level 30 Arcane Sword feature would let you pick up a swordmage encounter power as an at-will.  Since there's some awesome swordmage powers, that's actually kind of nice.

It's just .. very far away. 
Yet another half-elf footnote:  Reincarnate Champion + Revenant + Half-Elf soul.  So in epic, as long as your monk has a primal class MC, you could pick it up.

Finally:  Level 30 Arcane Sword feature would let you pick up a swordmage encounter power as an at-will.  Since there's some awesome swordmage powers, that's actually kind of nice.

It's just .. very far away. 

Reincarnate Champion doesn't work iquite so easy in the above example. Half Elf Soul has a prerequisite of both Half-Elf AND Revenant, so you would have to take both races as your 2 past lives, but at 24th level you would be able to take Half-Elf Soul and retrain another feat into versatile master to gain some other at-will.

As an interesting side note, a revenant reincarnate champion could take the soul feats of 3 different races potentially (preferably ones that don't have racial encounter powers you would otherwise gain from reincarnate champion itself). So you could be a revenant (Half-elf), then take human and dwarf as your past spirits and the relevant soul feats to gain an extra at-will, a nad boost, and the ability to use second wind as a minor action. The soul feats also only limit using both dark reaping OR the soul feature, but there is no language preventing the use of multiple soul features (only that once you use one, you can't use dark reaping in the same encounter, but you could use both dilettante AND second wind as a minor action from the feats).
...and if you do this with a psionic character, that would mean potentially as many as 5 at-wills.  (3 from psionic class, +1 human, +1 cross-class from being half-elf.)  I suppose you'd want to be a battlemind for best results.

So... is there any way to put together a battlemind that actually has a decent use for 3 in-class at-wills, 1 unaugmentable level 1 at-will and 1 cross-class at-will?

..actually, if you take a ranged warlock power as your half-elf ability (for the in-stat ranged at-will), and then sink two of your base at-wills into lightning rush and the minor action attack-again-when-you-miss power (to best use your minor actions and immediate actions) it starts actually looking plausible.  Not sure what you'd do with the unaugmentable human power to make it useful, but....
Sign In to post comments