Dragon 391 - Travelling the Sandswept Roads

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

DnDi_Large.pngDragon 391
Travelling the Sandswept Roads

Simply getting from here to there on Athas can be deadly. It helps to know the route.

Talk about this Article here.

391_athas_map.jpg

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Where's the picture? And also this is it, really all we are getting today is someone has put a ruler to the Athas Tablelands map and measured stuff out for us? I mean it's handy and all, but it does really feel like a article.

If they had perhaps suggested some encounter tables or even encounters for the different routes, or something like that.
Just waiting for someone to get in the office to get the picture fixed.

It had better be worth the wait now. :D
all better.

hope it was worth the wait

Last night, I couldn't see the picture that was posted alongside the text, and when I tried to download the full article/map, Adobe Reader said a drawing error had occured, and all I could see was a white screen.

Now, I can see the picture beside the text, but I still get the same Adobe Reader drawing error when I try to download the full map. Once it seemed to start drawing, as I saw the little mileage bubbles, but that was as far as it got before it said a drawing error had occured, and it went back to a completely white screen.

I'm not sure if the problems are on your or my end.

"What is the sort of thing that I do care about is a failure to seriously evaluate what does and doesn't work in favor of a sort of cargo cult posturing. And yes, it's painful to read design notes columns that are all just "So D&D 3.5 sort of had these problems. We know people have some issues with them. What a puzzler! But we think we have a solution in the form of X", where X is sort of a half-baked version of an idea that 4e executed perfectly well and which worked fine." - Lesp

I was able to download and open the map without error so I suspect the issue is on your end.

Try deleting the old map and downloading a new version.  It might be cached, so make sure you get rid of whatever old copy you have so you aren't just reloading a cached version.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling/reinstalling the latest version of Adobe Acrobat.

If it still doesn't work after that, let us know and we'll see what the next steps we can take are.

I couldn't open the map- it froze multiple times and eventually I had to ctrl-alt kill firefox. I tried right click downloading, and while it would open the map and show the dots on the two different layers, it was slow as all hell, and eventually had a script overrun error of some sort and crashed.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Which version of Acrobat are you using?

You will need Acrobat Reader v8.X or later to view the file correctly.

If the base image doesn't show up properly, try resizing the window and selecting continuous view rather than single page view.

With PDFs, you're always better off saving the document to your hard drive and viewing it in Acrobat Reader rather than through your browser with a plug-in.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks, Huscarl.

Is this information posted to the website anywhere?

It had real trouble loading in version 9, even after downloading, inside my browser (Chrome) it just locked the machine up for an age.
I really love this map. It simplifies road travel massively, and it won't take much work to figure out how far unmarked locations are, either. Awesome companion piece to the map.

I have to say, a large part of my glee comes from the fact that I won't have to figure out what friggin' scale WotC ended up using for the map. I consider this an errata of sorts. Tongue out
This map is really cool. I too had an in-browser drawing error (despite being up to date) but it worked fine when I downloaded it and opened it separately.

I really like the guidance on various distances and the quality of roads, as well as the "errata" to the scale. This is pretty darn useful to DMs and makes for a very useful handout. I like that it is the same image as the cloth map I received at PAX.

Finally, it is nice to see WotC use layers in the pdf. That is very handy for printing the map with and without the routes.

Excellent! WotC really has done an awesome job with Dark Sun.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I have reader 9, and it sucks up a hole ton of system resources, is slower than a glacier in winter, and while I can view the entire thing, it's just so ridiculously hard to do anything.

I have a fairly recent computer that can run Crysis on the highest graphical settings without any problems with FPS- and it's getting slown down to a crawl trying to make this pdf work.

Do you think you could just upload a PDF as three separate pages for folks who don't have the special awesome magic computer required to properly display this?
Oh Content, where art thou?
Has anyone been able to successfully view this file with layers accessible on an iPad? If so, what program did you use?
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
With PDFs, you're always better off saving the document to your hard drive and viewing it in Acrobat Reader rather than through your browser with a plug-in.

Yup.

Alternative: Could y'all make a high-res JPEG straight from the PDF as a "bonus feature" to the article? Sure, there will be some scaling issues (and if its high-res, it will still be too huge for some systems to run in an facile way), but it will probably be more compatible than the layered PDF.
D&DNext: HTFU Edition

I've added a lo-res layered version (half the size of the hi-res) and a flat (no layers) PDF to the page, along with a few instructions on how to get the best results. But I'll repeat--if you view the layered versions in your browser, you need to give them plenty of time to load (even when the browser indicates "done," it probably isn't fully loaded) and play with the view controls to bring up the image. Browser plug-ins just don't handle layered PDFs very well. (Chrome in particular, even though it's my browser of choice, is especially ham-fisted with PDFs.)

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks! The options look good.
D&DNext: HTFU Edition

I've added a lo-res layered version (half the size of the hi-res) and a flat (no layers) PDF to the page, along with a few instructions on how to get the best results. But I'll repeat--if you view the layered versions in your browser, you need to give them plenty of time to load (even when the browser indicates "done," it probably isn't fully loaded) and play with the view controls to bring up the image. Browser plug-ins just don't handle layered PDFs very well. (Chrome in particular, even though it's my browser of choice, is especially ham-fisted with PDFs.)

Steve

Thanks for the tip here and above. I did have to save it and open that copy to be able to immediately see the map in its entirety. Nicely done map too, thank you.
The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!
Sign In to post comments