first char in a year want to build a witch

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

I got a char idea that for the life of me i cant seem to get right I got her personality, looks, and attack style down but race build and class elude me still thinking a reflavored warlock probaly human

I want her to have a mix of sutble and flashy magical attacks def striker controler style play

Marisa is charming witty charismatic smart young girl who uses her wits and charms as much as her magic offen outthinking ppl in social encounters

At low lvls Marisa is to fight on foot staying away from threats at high lvls id liket o see her take to the air on her broom and launch a ranged barrage of magic from the air

as for books i have PHB 1&2 AV1&2 FRPG and Most of the power books sans primal

Well, the broom part is probably not going to happen.  D&D doesn't make it easy to stay airborne for entire battles.

Anyways ... flashy blasty spells and tricky stuff together sounds like a hybrid Bard|Sorcerer, perhaps.  Just ignore the fluff about bard spells involving songs or instruments, and focus on Implement powers.  This also gives you a crapload of social skills to train in, and powers to back them up.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I know this is far from optimized, but this is char development, not opt. There is the favored soul paragon path for the avenger from divine power, which gives flight as long as you are in limit armor. Granted, the rest of the PP will suck, but its a start. And then you reflavor the flight to be a broom.

If you are willing to wait until level 30, you can pick up avatar of storm or saint (saint gets flight at level 21, but you have to land at the end of every turn).
bard is perhaps a possablity
basic rules when it comes to class
so perhaps bard muti into lock or something
as for the broom i was looking at a mod flying carpet perhaps ill use the broom idea with rods to be her rod implement

mind ya im just brain storming here while i look over the  bard veiw
Bard works well.  I can see a warlock working well, with some light refluffing.  It definitely blurs that striker/controller line.  Fey pact in particular has a lot of charm type effects.  The focus on charisma and intelligence means you'll be witty and charming(you can get good social skill modifiers).  I'd go that route, from what you described.  Perhaps reflavor the pact, or maybe even not, I could see a witch bargaining with some fey.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

I think fey lock/evermeet warlock/feyliege (muti into bard for some extra mind control and sneeky tricks)
going to use her broom as a rod implement and focus on Psychic,charm,Illusions and some Necrotic and radiant spells from the fey and dark(taught to her by her good alighned Half vampire lover) lock some bard power when they fit better than stuff from the lock list

Ill pick up ritual caster and arcane Familiar(cat) using the cat and a divinations she can scout ahead or spy on ppl ( a cat is more likly to be ignored than thought to be a witches spy she offen will use this before entering a place where she thinks she'll need Diplomacy,bluff or Intimidate as offen a little info going in to such things can tip the scale in her favor)
I'd suggest Half-Elf Wizard MC Bard or Lock.

You get cantrips for her little tricks and subtle magics, Levitate at level 2, you won't be wizzing around but you will be able to reign death from above. You can pick up various illusionary bard powers and if you have Arcane Power you'll get access to all the trickery you need. With Int and Cha you'll have the wits and charm you want as well.
Well, the broom part is probably not going to happen.  D&D doesn't make it easy to stay airborne for entire battles.

Anyways ... flashy blasty spells and tricky stuff together sounds like a hybrid Bard|Sorcerer, perhaps.  Just ignore the fluff about bard spells involving songs or instruments, and focus on Implement powers.  This also gives you a crapload of social skills to train in, and powers to back them up.

As an optimiser on the wrong board, can I suggest a solution to that problem.

Feats:
1. Vistany Heritage (the evil eye power gives the perfect flavor for a witch themed character and it is prerequisite for other necessary feats).
2. Vistany Pathfinding (it gives you access to nice collection of rituals, and most importantly - you can make one of them for free 1/day).
3. Arcane Familiar (You pick a floating weapon as your familiar, except it will actually be a floating improvised weapon - a broom. The bluff and intimidate bonus also helps your social interactions. Your familiar can also fly.)

Ritual:
1. Familiar mount. You can now ride your familiar after casting the ritual. You can ride your flying broom familiar. Being an exploration ritual, you can not only cast that, but also 1/day cast it for free thanks to the Vistany Pathfinding feat. It lasts 12 hours, so its probably all the time you need (especially considering that there is a rumor that witches can only fly from dusk till dawn).

As for a class - you most certainly want the warlock. What is a witch without her curses. The fey warlock has more that enough flashy (WITCHFIRE!) and subtle (eyebite...) powers. It has both damage and control. It is also more that capable to stay out of harms way at the cost of doing less damage compared to other strikers, so your DM wont feel cheated from the fact that you are flying out of reach.
Merchant of Shadows, dude, you just totally nailed this one out of the park. Outstanding job.
I have to agree with Seeten, that was pretty impressive.  I'd never have thought of it, because I don't like familiars and, as such, am unfamiliar with rules/feats/rituals that interact with them.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

that was impressive (too bad my GM just shot holes in it) he said seeing i dont have the book with
Vistany Heritage or floating

Too bad, print the Dragon issues in which Vistani Heritage and that ritual appear and bring them to him, he can't argue with that.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

For reference, the Vistani feats are in dragon 380, the ritual is in dragon 382 and the floating weapon familiar is in dragon 377.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
2 quick questions what would be better human for the extra fea(the extra at will becomes useless at lvl 11) or half elf and vicious mockery and all the half elf goodness that comes with that (diplomancey low light vison some extra toughness +2 con ontop of the +2 cha id be getting as human)

secondly would Telepathic bond or some other ritual alow a familiar to act as a spy for there owner to the point where you can know whats going on ie sending in a telepatic bonded cat familiar and  get an idea of whats going on in say the castle of the ppl hiring you( i had a certain mod where the ppl we working for where not upfront about things) or would i need to scry on my cat to do it(good luck keeping that a secret)?
I'd recommend half-elf, mainly based on the dilettante power and the part where I like half-elves.

Telepathic bond looks like it would work.  You'd send the cat out and it'd tell you what it sees.
hehehe! ya half elf looks a lot stronger later on ill start my tricks later but i think the extra at-will charm will pay off big

as for Telepathic bond never said it needed to be humanoid for it to work and i bet theres some way for me to get audio in the room too with the right ritual
Shockingly Merchant of shadows seemed to miss a feat. There is a Vistani feat for those with the cat familiar that lets you use your evil eye from the cats location. And there is a feat that lets you have multiple familiars.
I built a decent Witch using a half-elf Warlock PMC Bard, a Staff of Ruin with bristles glued on, and Zephyr Boots for the flying, refluffing said flight as a product of the broom.  It's a wall of text, but here's the write-up:

community.wizards.com/wiki/Dnd:Impartial...

Salvage anything you like.
@impartialcredit your Evolution of the Witch page is quite good i have taken alot from it and am seeing what i can use

My Partner just gave me a copy of PHB3 for our anniversary and with a quick call to my Dm's wife-my sister we can now  use hybrid chars so im trying to learn to make a hybrid warlock/bard with Dilettante sorc power for an at will blast
The first 4e character I ever played was thematically a witch. She was a half-elf fey pact warlock MC'd into wizard. My DM and I even made a custom magic item: Baba Yaga's Broom, which my character stole in an encounter with the Crone. Of course, this was way before Arcane Power, the expanded familiar feats were introduced.

Basically, it's passive property would be to erase all tracks within a certain radius of you, making it very difficult for enemies to track us. It also allowed limited flight (the usual "end your flight movement on a horizontal surface" etc). At a higher level, the flight became a daily power that allowed flight for an encounter.

If you really want to embrace the lore, instead of making a broom your floating "weapon" familiar (which btw is a brilliant idea), use a cauldron. Riding a flying cauldron would be so much more economical (all that trunk space!!!).
@impartialcredit your Evolution of the Witch page is quite good i have taken alot from it and am seeing what i can use

My Partner just gave me a copy of PHB3 for our anniversary and with a quick call to my Dm's wife-my sister we can now  use hybrid chars so im trying to learn to make a hybrid warlock/bard with Dilettante sorc power for an at will blast

If I have one regret on the build it is that I could not find space for Vistani Seer, which would have granted a free scrying or divination ritual once per day, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with how Calliope worked out and I'm glad you found some value in her write-up.  Warlock/Bard with a splash of Sorcerer is an excellent base for a Witch, and half-elves make such combinations more easily viable, but if you find that that combination isn't doing what you want, it has been brought to my attention that an Invoker is actually a pretty good mechanical fit, as well.  In any case, don't be afraid to reflavor a given power, feat, feature, item, or even power source -- if your explanation better fits your theme and still makes sense with the mechanics, go for it.  That, as much as anything, is the lesson of Calliope's build.  I hope that helps.

ok here is what i came up with so far for an Arcane witch:

Class:Witch(warlock/bard Hybrid)
race: half elf
10str,15con,8dex(she's a clutz to the point of being moe but its cute)16int,11wis,18cha
Role strong controler via debuffes and charms theme with some leader and striker abillitys
Power Source : arcane
Key abilitys: Cha,Int
Armor prof: cloth and leather
Weapon proff: simple melee,simple ranged
Implements:wands and brooms aka rods(the witch is a broom specialtist)
bonus to defence: +2 to will (she messes with ppls minds so she doesnt want it done to her)
HP at first Lvl 12+con score (for mine 27HP)
HP per lvl:5
Healing surges per day 6+con mod(so 8 for me)
Class skills:Arcana,Diplomancy,Religion,Bluff
Class features:Hybrid Eldritch pact(fey) Hybrid warlocks curse,Hybrid Majestic word,Skill Versatility
AT-wills: Vicious Mockery(PHB2 Bard), Eyebite(PHB warlock)
Encoutner:Blazing starfall-Dilenttante,Witchfire
Daily:stirring shout
Feat: Hybrid Talent-warlock pact boon(fey)
Looking good
The idea is to act as a debuffer and puppet master later on, and tip the balance into the partys favor via leadership. Damage takes a back seat to this so ill never trully be a striker and I dont buff as well as a true leader but every last one for my moves finds a way to screw over my target or hahaha later on take control of them and make them my servent and make them do the fighting for me
most of my attacks target will those that dont are vs reflex and ill have at lest one at all times thats vs con for mobs that are to stubborn to die or do what i want!

After all the strong in body are offen such weakminded fools such ppl are offen easly manipulated by magic in the first place!
The idea is to act as a debuffer and puppet master later on, and tip the balance into the partys favor via leadership. Damage takes a back seat to this so ill never trully be a striker and I dont buff as well as a true leader but every last one for my moves finds a way to screw over my target or hahaha later on take control of them and make them my servent and make them do the fighting for me
most of my attacks target will those that dont are vs reflex and ill have at lest one at all times thats vs con for mobs that are to stubborn to die or do what i want!

After all the strong in body are offen such weakminded fools such ppl are offen easly manipulated by magic in the first place!

Sounds like a Witch to me.

Well, the broom part is probably not going to happen.  D&D doesn't make it easy to stay airborne for entire battles. .

My favorite way to make a broom battle worthy or not... is get the DM to go for a reflavored hypogryph or similar (War Wing Drake) its really just a type of mount after all and as a potentially purchaseable item. A friendly DM could give it to a level 1 character even.(kind of like harry potter getting his as a gift when he was way younger than you would expect to have one).

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I have some cool witches built as malediction invokers..with that blood magic and how some of the magic hurts the invoker it makes them feel like they are suffering the consequences of there magic (aka thrice fold returns).

My wedding ceremony was officiated by a Wiccan Priestess. ;p
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Yeah, for your Debuffer concept I think you've nailed it.

You might consider MCing to Druid so you can Wild Shape (that's nice and witchy, isn't it?) and get some power swaps... just think about Baleful Polymorph. "She turned me into a newt! ... I got better." This also gives you staves, which might make a more satisfying broom substitute.
...and that's the news from Lake 4th Edition, where the Gnomes are strong, the Half-Orcs are good-looking, and all the PCs are above average.
Yeah, for your Debuffer concept I think you've nailed it.

You might consider MCing to Druid so you can Wild Shape (that's nice and witchy, isn't it?) and get some power swaps... just think about Baleful Polymorph. "She turned me into a newt! ... I got better." This also gives you staves, which might make a more satisfying broom substitute.

I am hoping the new Druid Leader will also lend more to the Witch Archetype.

Yeah, I have high hopes for the powers they'll be dumping into the Druid list for witchery-related reasons, whether or not the build is witchy.
...and that's the news from Lake 4th Edition, where the Gnomes are strong, the Half-Orcs are good-looking, and all the PCs are above average.
I'm playing a witch character, somewhat based on the witches in the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. She's a shaman, multiclassed into bard by the Bardic Ritualist feat. I think it fits the fluff fairly well -- Discworld witches certainly seem much more primal than arcane. Mine doesn't emphasize charisma as much as it looks like you want to, though.

I think the core rules have tried (a little) to put 'witchy' flavor into some of the fey pact warlock powers.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.

I’m building an arcane and a divine version of this char then comparing them but atm im waiting for next weeks pay to get my subscription to the online mag for the feats everyone’s been tossing my way(my dm wont let me use them unless I have a "hard copy" i.e. print ups of the official page)
the Divine build looks like it will probably be an invoker/primal build

@Garthanos Im suprised most ppl dont know that thrice fold returns part of Wiccan
@AlexandraErin Ill look at the druid powers and stuff but ill have to see if I can spare any feats, In fact I fear I might not be able to put in all the feats I'd like to use atm
@Chimerasame my witches personality is based off of Disworld'sQueen Magrat Garlick of Lancre and Touhou's Marisa though i do agree shaman can work for most discworld witches except for granny Weatherwax who in my op has a Black belt in intimadation to the point i think a lvl 30 dragon would run for its mother lmao

I just investigated further and really the Vistani make it feel darn like cheating ;p if you are after the gypsy witch for instance they can give any class the Evil eye even without the dabble in arcane. I couldnt find one to do two familiars that was mentioned though?

This is horribly feat cost heavy... in my opinion and by the time you have enough feats? and the ritual, you might as well have a purchaseable flying mount that happens to be a broom.  As a DM that ought to be not too big a deal.

The idea of magic having a cost is quite authentic feeling for arcane I actually like the Bloodmage... it doesnt have to bloodying yourself it can be expending your heroic luck so you are more subject to harm later... that can be thrice fold returns too.

My Dm is a RPGA DM type so its all by the book or its a no go but ya im going to try cheating the feats depending on what I think of certain feats
about the Vistani i think from what i can see it being really reminiscing of Granny Weatherwaxes stare.. here ill show ya..

She was tossed like some rag doll the nerve of this dragon! The witch's eyes snapped open spying her hat she picked it up and dusted it off placing it about her head "riight" she said the tone of her voice made the syllables of her words have the impression of being acidicly covered knives made from magical ice. The stare she gave made everyone around her feel as is she was trying to weld there eyes to the back of there skull, She was mad and this dragon was going to learn a final lesson.. you don’t throw a Lady..especialy if she's a witch

I do not know if you have actually played the games Marisa appears in or have read the official material surrounding her, but if you want to create a character based on her, you are going in the wrong direction. Marisa is a "witch" only in the sense that she is an arcane magic user who lives in a forest.

Canonically, Marisa is less feminine, much more masculine. Less Bluff/Diplomacy, much more Diplomacy/Intimidate. Less witty and prudent, more audacious and brash. Less sly fox, much more proud lionness. She is very much like a typical D&D adventurer: she hunts monsters, blasts them to a pulp, loots their stuff, and goes around looting more stuff. Her modus operandi is "blast first, talk later." She has used the line "Get out of the way, [slang for female dog]!" once.

Let me quote an official source:
"Her specialty is magics that are mostly concerned with light and heat.
"She likes to say, 'It's not magic if it's not flashy. Danmaku is all about firepower.'
"Her magic is extremely flashy, and indeed quite beautiful, but it's backed up by a considerable amount of her own effort, which she goes to great lengths never to show others.
"She calls herself an 'anything goes' magician, but that doesn't mean she can actually use a variety of different magics.
"Her magical skills are generally limited to destruction, so there isn't much she can do besides youkai extermination.
"However, her powers generally have few weaknesses, and have the same effect regardless of their target, be they human or youkai, so there are few who can match her in terms of sheer destructive power."

Taking all this into consideration, along with the fact that almost all of the names of her spells have an astronomical theme (Asteroid Belt, Starlight Typhoon, Stardust Reverie, Escape Velocity, Blazing Star, Orreries Solar System), she looks like a Cosmic Sorcerer to me. Strength/Charisma, but many fans of her can tell you she can have muscle at times.

It might not be the kind of character you want to play, but you should probably know just who you are drawing inspiration from more accurately.

Right, Marisa?

hehe I actually own 55 touhou comics(admittedly there all yuri but meh) but then again i did mix her with Magrat Garlick so that’s the Bluff/Diplomacy part and ya i was going to play that pride full part.
but really i think ill look into a sorc next for a proper Marisa (admittedly again my fav char is Remila but Alice and Marisa make such a cute yuri couple i had to try)

but i know how fans love Touhou chars so ill stick to cannon here on out, well as much as i can from my yuri doujins(though I didnt know the attack style becuse they dont Danmaku very offen)

as for this build ill just place it out there for anyone looking for a Gen witch build

Daemonfey I thank you, perhaps We can work together on my next 2 builds(An Alice Summoner build and Remila) and ill place a Cosmic Sorcerer up as a thanks

oh yes um Thank you for the worderfull page  I added it to favorites!