Dragon 391 - A Legacy in Shadow: Shadar-kai in the Forgotten Realms

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dragon 391
A Legacy in Shadow
Shadar-kai in the Forgotten Realms

By Robert J. Schwalb

Today in Dragon, we get a good, detailed look at the history and culture of Shadar-kai as they appear in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.  This is a complementary article to the Playing Shadar-kai article way back in Dragon #372, which detailed the race as they appear in the core setting; both articles can be used for feats and other options and with a little bit of sifting and refluffing, concept drawing, to suite a member of the race in any setting.

The Shadovar name this thing that has been done to me a gift—a blessing from the Dark Lady—but I have known no reward that carries such a price. Am I unworthy? Have I not risen to the power Shar has invested in me? Since I came into this grief, I have known nothing but numbness, as if I was trapped in a prison of meaninglessness and isolation. Each new day brings with it a struggle to stir into life—a battle in which I must fight to not surrender my very essence to the cancerous shadow blossoming inside my breast.

Talk about this article here.
391_shadar-kai.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

There are two Shadar-Kai Bloodline feats, but no feat that actually serves as the starting point.  Unless you're already a Shadar-Kai, you can't gain those feats.  Which strikes me as standing in stark contrast to the precedent set by other bloodlines, in that anyone can take the bloodline feats as long as they took the starting feat first (see Devas).

Was another article released that provided this mystery feat, or are the Shadar-Kai Bloodline feats supposed to be that way (I can't really see this being the answer, because if Shadar-Kai were the only ones supposed to take these feats, that could easily have been resolved by leaving the prerequisites as they were; no need to call them Bloodline feats at all)?
I've finally figured out how to put in a sig. Yes, I'm including this here for no other reason than to express how happy I am that I could finally do this. For goodness' sake, change these forums back (or just change, I don't care).
Eberron AND the Realms getting support in the same month?  What's going on?  Should I buy a lottery ticket?      Thank you DDI for continuing to support the campaign settings. As a DM who uses both, I appreciate it very much.  THANK YOU
There are two Shadar-Kai Bloodline feats, but no feat that actually serves as the starting point.  Unless you're already a Shadar-Kai, you can't gain those feats.  Which strikes me as standing in stark contrast to the precedent set by other bloodlines, in that anyone can take the bloodline feats as long as they took the starting feat first (see Devas).

Was another article released that provided this mystery feat, or are the Shadar-Kai Bloodline feats supposed to be that way (I can't really see this being the answer, because if Shadar-Kai were the only ones supposed to take these feats, that could easily have been resolved by leaving the prerequisites as they were; no need to call them Bloodline feats at all)?

Since both of these feats replace your Shadow Jaunt power with something else, they each seem to be good stand-alone feats on their own.  The only reason I can see for making them bloodline feats would be if somebody intended to add other feats that had the new powers from these feats as prerequisites.

No, they're for Shadar-kai only, just like Winter Eladrin are for Eladrin only, Gray Dwarves are Dwarf only, and Dusk Elves are Elf only.  They are race specific blood-lines, aka Sub-races.
Let me just say: "Another Article with Crunch!  Yay!"

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I really liked the article's crunch. Shadovars, Netheril, Underdark, Shadowfell etc..all Shadar-kaish and darksome.

It also means it's a very young race of people in the Realms as well...less than a 100 years...new, dark and twisted.

Sweet !

Keep on the good work WoTC, you're getting it back.....
something that bothers me about both bloodlines is that if you take them you lose out on taking almost all future racial feats since you are losing shadow jaunt and it's hard to find a feat for shadar-kai that doesn't include shadow jaunt as one of the requirements.
Other than that, i loved the article and wish it would have been out before my shadar-kai died in a forgotten realms game I'm in.

Excellent article.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Sign In to post comments