Monster Manual Monsters in Athas

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious as to what monsters from the MM 1,2, and 3 are considered "correct" in Dark Sun.

I know it's my campaign, but I was wondering if any of the previous editon Dark Sun grognards might have some input here.

The DSCS mentions rocs, wyverns, and gnolls.  I think that's about it.  I know goblins, kobolds, and orcs were wiped out, and that things like wolves and bears do not exist.  But what other monsters do?
Wide groups to choose from freely :Elementals, insects, fungi, plants, lizards, snakes, drakes. 
Specific monsters: bullettes, ankhegs, kruthiks, wyverns and hyenas to keep the Gnolls company. to name a few.   Probably also the tougher version of worgs n hyenas too.  I may put rhinos n behemoths there too, they could probably stand up to things.

I think Apes n Gorillions, panthers or tigers in the Forest Ridge and Crescent Forest.  Bats most likely, Rats most likely, Rats are FREAKING EVERYWHERE in all lands, you cannot wipe them out.  Or the Athasian version of bats n Rats.  Plenty of people have posted on a similar thread.  Check that out. 
To get the most definitive answer, I think you should go to Athas.org and download their 3.5 Terrors of Athas pdf (as well as a couple other additional monster sources, but that should cover the bulk). There is a list of "acceptable" Dark Sun monster at the beginning. I'd just compare that list with what is available in the Monster Manuals to figure out what was previously "acceptable" in Dark Sun, then scan the new books to see what what has gotten an "official" mention in the new edition.

I'm using this method to build a comprehesive "monsters by level" table for Dark Sun ready monsters. I think pretty much anything that's not of immortal origin and that hasn't been genocidaly removed from Athas works for a 4e Dark Sun game, so long as you're in the right area (Fey/forest animals are obviously much more rare, but they can still see use). My plan is, when creating an encounter, to try to find appropriate monsters in the DSCC first, the "acceptable" table second, and then whatever else I see fit last.
Going through my MMs (and I'm missing the first one as a friend is using it), I came up with this list, by no means complete.  It combines suggestions from the original box setting and my own thoughts.

MM2

• Ankheg

• Ants, Giant

• Archons

• Behir

• Centipede

• Chaos Shard

• Colossus

• Cyclops

• Darkmantle

• Demons

• Devils

• Direguard

• Djinn

• Drake

• Elemental

• Fey Lingerer

• Ghost Legionnaire

• Giant

• Golem

• Gray Render

• Kenku

• Krenshar

• Lizardfolk

• Ooze

• Remorhaz

• Retriever

• Skeleton

• Slaughterstone Construct

• Spider

• Tiger

• Vine, Predatory

MM3

• Apocalypse Spell

• Behemoth

• Cave Fisher

• Demon

• Devil

• Dread Warrior

• Elemental

• Foresaken

• Gargoyle

• Ghoul

• Giant

• Howler

• Imix

• Intellect Devourer

• Mimic

• Minotaur

• Norker

• Ogremoch

• Rot Grub

• Shadow

• Spider

• Su Monster

• Tanarukk

• Yuan-ti

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

Dont forget to use all human, elf, dwarf, halfling, half elf, goliath, thri kreen, tiefling and eladrin entries from wherever you find them. 
Kenku were also present in orginal Dark Sun, as were Yuan Ti.  Rakshasas are mentioned in the DsCS.  You can also include efreets, djinn, marids, etc can all be elemental traveler's on Athas.
Rakshasas are mentioned in the DsCS.

Are they really?  That certainly sheds an interesting light on the lack of devas.
Ettercaps and Chitines are both on Athas (according to the original sets, and Dragon 185),
Also Grimlocks, Giant Cats (Tigers, Panthers, etc), Azers and Galeb Duhrs. (Those last two probably have a reversed origin to normal 4e. Dwarves who fled the cleansing wars to the Elemental Chaos, pledging loyalty to elemental lords for protection)
I always wondered how mundane beasts (giant cats, bears, etc) survived on Athas. They were present in past editions. I believe the 4E DSCG mentions that these animals don't exist on Athas anymore. I kind of agree.
I always wondered how mundane beasts (giant cats, bears, etc) survived on Athas. They were present in past editions. I believe the 4E DSCG mentions that these animals don't exist on Athas anymore. I kind of agree.

By mundane beast do you mean mammals? Because the campaign guide says "Goats survive, as do lions, hyenas, bats, and a few small rodents such as mice and desert rats." (Although the guide earlier disagrees about Lions. However, given Humanu's lion fetish, it's likely they (and lion-drakes) are common around Urik)

However, bears do exist. Except they're horrific armoured monstrosities also known as Klar. (You could probably use the Dire Bear with no complaints.)

Athas does have its own supply of mundane beasts like Aprigs, Carru, and Jankx.
I mean 'earth animals' when I say mundane beasts. Horses, cows, cheetahs, wolves, etc. The list they provide I can deal with, cause they might plausible surive in some of the Athasian environs, or in royal menageries. I would also allow all sorts of dire animals.

Certain Drajan warriors were called Jaguar Knights. It's implausible that normal worldly Jaguars exist on Athas. Was it any surprise then that they changed them from jaguar Knights to Jasuan Knights in 4E?
I mean 'earth animals' when I say mundane beasts. Horses, cows, cheetahs, wolves, etc. The list they provide I can deal with, cause they might plausible surive in some of the Athasian environs, or in royal menageries. I would also allow all sorts of dire animals.

Certain Drajan warriors were called Jaguar Knights. It's implausible that normal worldly Jaguars exist on Athas. Was it any surprise then that they changed them from jaguar Knights to Jasuan Knights in 4E?

I caught that too about the Jaguar Knights.  I would also roll with all kinds of Dire Animals.
However, bears do exist. Except they're horrific armoured monstrosities also known as Klar. (You could probably use the Dire Bear with no complaints.)

Works pretty well actually with a little extra touch.

34a74fb8d203e521b571ad4c00636b65.png?v=138600

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

Panthers exist according to the Creature companion, where Halflings tame them. As well as Griffons apparently.

For some more "counts as" stuff:

- An aquatic varient of the Balhannoth would probably make a halfway decent Cistern fiend.

- Purple Worms make perfect Silt Worms.

- The Magma Brute is remarkably similar to the paraelemental Magma beast.

- Phoenixes make perfect Paraelemental Beasts of Sun, just add a second head.
Kruthiks, Rakshasas, Beetles, Snakes
Thanks mouthymerc for the Klar write-up.
Thanks, mouthymerc for the Klar write-up.

Your welcome.  If anyone uses it I would appreciate any feedback.

Devil\'s Brigade

I appreciate all the feedback.  This has been very helpful.  Might be helpful to a lot of other DS DMs as well.
Sign In to post comments