Turn 1 Win Combos

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Checking to see if anyone has additional combos to submit for the Turn 1 kill list.

(if you need to play second, it is prefixed with 'on the draw')

Swamp, Dark Ritual x4, Phage the Untouchable, Lightning Greaves.
Equip Phage with the greaves, attack.

Swamp, Dark Ritual x3, cast Nether Traitor and Hatred. Pay 19 life for Hatred, attack for 20.

Mountain, Black Lotus for GGG, cast Channel for 17, then Demonfire for 20.

In a deck with no lands:

Chrome Mox (imprinting Empty the Warrens)
Rite of Flame x2 for Goblin Charbelcher.
Cast and activate Lion's Eye Diamond to activate the charbelcher for 52/53 damage.

Mountain, Raging Goblin. Play Blazing Shoal x2, removing Myojin of Infinite Rage x2.
Attack for 21.

Mountain, Mana Clash (easier than the Turn 0 version, but effectively the same)

(Mountain, Rite of Flame x4) or (Black Lotus for RRR and Seething Song x3).
Dragonstorm with four storm copies.
Bogardan Hellkite x4.

Mountain, cast Rite of Flame x3. (RRRRRRR)
Cast Izzet Guildmage. (RRRRR)
Cast and copy your fourth Rite of Flame (repeat an arbitrarily large number of times) then cast Demonfire.

Mountain, Black Lotus x4.
Cast Searing Wind, then Hidetsugu's Second Rite.

Forest, Black Lotus, sacrifice for False Cure.
Then give your opponents life with (Skyshroud Cutter or Reverent Silence) x4.

Cast Black Lotus.
Move to Declare Attackers step.
(Super-haste) Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug x4.
At some point during your turn, cast one of these four: (Trumpet Blast, Common Cause, Magnify x2, Hearth Charm x2)

Black Lotus x2, Ball Lightning (or Groundbreaker), cast Beserk x2, and attack for 24.

Swamp, Black Lotus. Cast Dark Ritual for BBB, then sac the lotus for RRR. (BBBRRR)
Cast Pandemonium with RRRB, then two Phyrexian Dreadnought for one Black mana each. 
Deals 24 damage.

Black Lotus x4 and some storm cards;
Tendrils of Agony, Grapeshot, Mind's Desire.

Swamp, cast Dark Ritual x3. (BBBBBBB and 3 Cards in Hand)
Cast Altar of Dementia. (BBBBB left)
Cast Buried Alive to bury a Karmic Guide and a Changeling Hero. (BB left)
Reanimate Karmic Guide with any one of the following: Animate Dead, Reanimate, Shallow Grave
The Guide's ability recovers the Changling Hero.
As the Champion comes into play, remove Karmic Guide.
Sacrifice the Champion to the Altar of Dementia, and Karmic Guide returns to play.
Repeat as needed.
(Can substitute Blasting Station for Altar of Dementia when using Reanimate)

Swamp, cast Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, and Demonic Tutor (6 mana).
Tutor for Yawgmoth's Will, and play it (1 mana left, 5 spells).
Replay, from your graveyard, the Petal and both Dark Rituals (6 mana, 8 spells).
Tutor for Tendrils of Agony and cast it with 9 storm copies.

Dark depths, Black lotus,  Manamorphose, Vampire Hexmage, fever charm
Attack for 20.

Forest, remove Elvish Spirit Guide, and Channel for 19.
Cast Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, and Juggernaut.
Attack for 20 on your extra turn.

Tolarian Academy, and a few moxes. Tap for Mind Over Matter.
Discard a card to untap Tolarian Academy.
Cast a "draw 7" spell: Time Spiral, Timetwister, Worldpurge, Time Reversal, etc.
Repeat for as much mana as you want.

Mountain, Mox Ruby, Black Lotus, Sneak Attack, sneak in Serra Avatar.

any land, any mox, Black Lotus, Power Artifact, Grim Monolith, Stroke of Genius

Black Lotus * 2, Treasure Hunt, Eureka, Wood Elemental, Fervor, and Forest.
Library contains only Forests.
Cast Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .  Cast a second Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .
Cast Treasure Hunt to put the entire library of Forests into your hand. left.
Cast Eureka, putting Fervor and all of the Forests onto the battlefield, then end with Wood Elemental, sacrificing all the Forests.
Attack for 54 damage.

Play Black Lotus, sacrifice for Channel.  Pay 6 life for Mycosynth Lattice. Pay another 6 life for Transcendence.  (life total: 8)
Put infinite life on the stack (Each point of life you pay with Channel triggers a "gain 2 life" from Transcendence.  Pay 2 life, let one trigger resolve, and pay another two while the second "gain 2 life" is on the stack.)
Cast enchantment destruction to destroy Transcendence while infinite life is on the stack.
Cast Any x-spell for infinite.
(+2 points for multiplayer win!)

Island, Lotus Petal, Flash a Protean Hulk in (perhaps fetched by Summoner's Pact) for one of the winning packages:

On the Draw:

Black Lotus x4, cast Ball Lightning x4 and attack for 24.

Growing aggravated by an online account system whose changes make it harder to access information, while ignoring useful feedback from community members.

Share your opinions here: http://community.wizards.com/forums/102116

http://community.wizards.com/forums/103446

http://community.wizards.com/forums/129986

http://community.wizards.com/forums/102616

I can't believe you don't have any Hypergenesis combos in there.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Mountain, Lotus Petal. Sac the Petal for , cast two Dark Rituals. Cast Raging Goblin, Hatred for 19 life. Attack for 20, finish on 1 life.

Everything Hulk-Flash
Island, Lotus Petal, Flash a Protean Hulk in for one of the winning packages:
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I can't even count how many aren't on that list:

Mountain, Mox Ruby, Black Lotus, Sneak Attack, sneak in Serra Avatar (my favorite)

Mountain, Mana Clash and opponent flips tails 20 times before you each get heads

any land or mox, Black Lotus, Time Vault, Voltaic Key (not a win directly, but you get infinite turns to try)

those are just some of my favorites
I have a Hulk Flash deck, very brutal.
The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.
Mountain, Lotus Petal. Sac the Petal for , cast two Dark Rituals. Cast Raging Goblin, Hatred for 19 life. Attack for 20, finish on 1 life.

No effective difference between that and
Swamp, Dark Ritual x3, cast Nether Traitor and Hatred. Pay 19 life for Hatred, attack for 20.
The hastey creature could be Glitterfang, Frogtosser Bannerett, Goblin Guide, Nether Shadow, Shrieking Mogg, and many others.  I chose the Traitor because it has Shadow.  Is there reason to suggest one specifically?

Everything Hulk-Flash
Island, Lotus Petal, Flash a Protean Hulk in for one of the winning packages:

I had the Disciple of the Vault version, but I like the layout!  Added the Virulent Sliver version as well.

I can't even count how many aren't on that list:

Well that's why I made a thread for folks to update the list with.

Mountain, Mox Ruby, Black Lotus, Sneak Attack, sneak in Serra Avatar (my favorite)

good

Mountain, Mana Clash and opponent flips tails 20 times before you each get heads

Already got it

any land or mox, Black Lotus, Time Vault, Voltaic Key (not a win directly, but you get infinite turns to try)

Mmmm, I don't think I'm going to include this.  It would be a good listing for an infinite-turn thread.

Thanks!

Growing aggravated by an online account system whose changes make it harder to access information, while ignoring useful feedback from community members.

If you can design the perfect hand, and if there's no restriction on what cards you can use (there are several there with multiple Black Lotuses, and one even uses an Un- card), it's just trivial to win the game.  Trying to make a list of all first turn win combos is sort of like making a list of all decks that can win when goldfishing.

Just consider:
Starting hand: Black Lotus * 2, Treasure Hunt, Eureka, Wood Elemental, Fervor (it doesn't matter what the 7th card is), library contains only Forests.
1. Cast Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .
2 .Cast Treasure Hunt to put the entire library of Forests into your hand.
3. Cast Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .
4. Cast Eureka, putting Fervor and all of the Forests onto the battlefield, then end with Wood Elemental, sacrificing all the Forests.
5. Attack for X, where X is the size of your library.

If even Wood Elemental can be part of a first turn win combo, that should say something.

No effective difference between that and
The hastey creature could be Glitterfang, Frogtosser Banneret, Goblin Guide, Nether Shadow, Shrieking Mogg, and many others.  I chose the Traitor because it has Shadow.  Is there reason to suggest one specifically?

Ha! Cause I didn't see the Nether Traitor version in the O.P.!
Raging Goblin is the one I mention in my version simply because it was the first printed out of all the combo-enablers (in terms of being available in the same block as Hatred, anyway - Nether Shadow was around, but mana burn was too, and you'd have needed a triple Ritual to pull it off). I remember attending Exodus pre-release, having one of my friends pull both the Goblin and the Hatred, and then having multiple people see the cards and think "Thank goodness this is only a booster draft, and not Tempest constructed!" (where he probably would've been able to throw in a couple of Dark Rituals and have a first-turn kill at a prerelease!) ... extremely rare to see a 1-turn kill combo in a prerelease setting. I remember rumours at the time that they were actually considering emergency-banning Hatred in time for the prerelease just to stop this (which thankfully never ended up happening).
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Reposted from the "Fantasy 1 Turn Win" thread...

Step 1: Play and pop Black Lotus for
Step 2: Play Channel.
Step 3: Pay 6 life and play Mycosynth Lattice.
Step 4: Pay 6 life and play Transcendence.
Step 5: Put infinite life on the stack (Using Channel and Transcendence) and add infinite colorless mana to your mana pool.
Step 6: Cast Patrician's Scorn to destroy my Transcendence to gain the infinite life on the stack.
Step 7: Cast Chimney Imp* to devistate the opponent to a weakened state.
Step 8: Once weak, finish them with Bond of Agony for infinite. (Also wipes the bystanders watching)

**Notice how broken Chimney Imp is in this combo.
Can you smell what the Rhox is cookin?
dberry: transcendence wont work. You cant pay life you dont have (even if it did state based effects would have you lose when transcendence was gone, because the life gain is still on the stack)

forgot a hulk-flash combo:

Hedron Crab x 4, Dryad Arbor x 4 and the snake elder (which you sac) to fetch a land. Mill for 60 cards.
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
dberry: transcendence wont work. You cant pay life you dont have (even if it did state based effects would have you lose when transcendence was gone, because the life gain is still on the stack)

It does work.  You just have to let some of the triggered abilities resolve before continuing to pay life. That is, you can pay 2 life, putting two triggered abilities on the stack, let one of those resolve to give you 2 life, and repeat.  Each iteration will put one extra triggered ability on the stack and will give you 2 mana.
If you can design the perfect hand, and if there's no restriction on what cards you can use (there are several there with multiple Black Lotuses, and one even uses an Un- card), it's just trivial to win the game.  Trying to make a list of all first turn win combos is sort of like making a list of all decks that can win when goldfishing.

We've discussed this before.
If it's supposed to be useful for anything, then combos that will never actually come up in an actual game should be discarded.

ANY game, like say... casual? Where some people play with card proxies and without consideration to any printed card restrictions?

Starting hand: Black Lotus * 2, Treasure Hunt, Eureka, Wood Elemental, Fervor (it doesn't matter what the 7th card is), library contains only Forests.
1. Cast Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .
2 .Cast Treasure Hunt to put the entire library of Forests into your hand.
3. Cast Black Lotus and sacrifice it for .
4. Cast Eureka, putting Fervor and all of the Forests onto the battlefield, then end with Wood Elemental, sacrificing all the Forests.
5. Attack for X, where X is the size of your library.

'nother good one, thanks!
(although I still somewhat hesitate with library-interaction T1Ks)

dberry
Reposted from the "Fantasy 1 Turn Win" thread...

Step 1: Play and pop Black Lotus for
Step 2: Play Channel.
Step 3: Pay 6 life and play Mycosynth Lattice.
Step 4: Pay 6 life and play Transcendence.
Step 5: Put infinite life on the stack (Using Channel and Transcendence) and add infinite colorless mana to your mana pool.
Step 6: Cast Patrician's Scorn to destroy my Transcendence to gain the infinite life on the stack.
Step 7: Cast Chimney Imp* to devistate the opponent to a weakened state.
Step 8: Once weak, finish them with Bond of Agony for infinite. (Also wipes the bystanders watching)

**Notice how broken Chimney Imp is in this combo.

First, I have to check that "paying life" is treated as "loss of life".  That's the only problem I see with your six-card combo.  Black Lotus and Patrician's Scorn could be traded out for anything similar, and Chimney Imp isn't needed, so you have a mulligan option.

First, I have to check that "paying life" is treated as "loss of life".  That's the only problem I see with your six-card combo.

118.4. If a cost or effect allows a player to pay an amount of life greater than 0, the player may do so only if his or her life total is greater than or equal to the amount of the payment. If a player pays life, the payment is subtracted from his or her life total; in other words, the player loses that much life. (Players can always pay 0 life.)

Source: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

118.4. If a cost or effect allows a player to pay an amount of life greater than 0, the player may do so only if his or her life total is greater than or equal to the amount of the payment. If a player pays life, the payment is subtracted from his or her life total; in other words, the player loses that much life. (Players can always pay 0 life.)

Thanks for looking it up for me!

A

It does work.  You just have to let some of the triggered abilities resolve before continuing to pay life. That is, you can pay 2 life, putting two triggered abilities on the stack, let one of those resolve to give you 2 life, and repeat.  Each iteration will put one extra triggered ability on the stack and will give you 2 mana.

Corrected. Just watch out for that pesky game state and make sure you have 1 life at least at all times.
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
A

Corrected. Just watch out for that pesky game state and make sure you have 1 life at least at all times.

transcendence stops you from losing when you have 0 life.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

A

Scorn destroys transcendence. Only by destroying it could you gain the infinite life on the stack.

Keep 1 life so you dont die by game state before the life resolves, but after transcendence is gone.

My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Where's the fun in that?
Yup! As long as you stay between 0 and 20 life, you're good. It is a neat little combo that I thought of when thinking of stuff to combo with Transcendence.

I also have a question...

You said, "Black Lotus and Patrician's Scorn could be traded out for anything similar..."

I can understand the Patrician's Scorn, but how will you swap out the Black Lotus? There's no card of my knowledge other than Dark Ritual that can give you 3 mana on turn one.
how will you swap out the Black Lotus? There's no card of my knowledge other than Dark Ritual that can give you 3 mana on turn one.

You only need 2 mana for the Channel.  Once you do that, you cast the Mycosynth Lattice, which is colourless, so you pay from hit points.  Once that's done, you can cast any spell from your own hit points.

So you could use (for example) Mountain and Mox Ruby to cast Manamorphose, or Forest and Elvish Spirit Guide.  Since you only used five cards other than Black Lotus, you've got any first turn 2-card combination.

you could go black lotus naming black, dark depths vampire hexmage mox ruby fling for t1 20 dmg,

hou could swamp dark ritual x 3 ad nauseam for alot, go down, play a bunch of cheap cards, and tendrils of agony for game O_o i actually have a really nasty mono black storm based off of going t1 ad nauseam, between culling the weak, dark ritual, and cabal ritual, it usually happens pretty often XD

w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
A

Scorn destroys transcendence. Only by destroying it could you gain the infinite life on the stack.

Keep 1 life so you dont die by game state before the life resolves, but after transcendence is gone.

you're at 2. pay 2. gain 4. pay 4. gain 8. pay 8. gain 16. pay three, go to 19, then start chaining them together. you go to 0 three separate times there.

But never while transcendence is out of play.
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Where's the fun in that?
you're at 2. pay 2. gain 4. pay 4. gain 8. pay 8. gain 16. pay three, go to 19, then start chaining them together. you go to 0 three separate times there.

The lowest you'll have to go is to 8 life.  You pay 11 for the Mycosynth Lattice and Transcendence (using the extra from Black lotus after paying for Channel), leaving you at 9.  Pay 1 life, putting you at 8, gain 2 to 10.  Pay 1 life to 9, gain 2 to 11, etc.  Once you're at 19 life, you start paying 1 life twice in a row, then gaining 2, while netting one triggered ability on the stack to gain 2 life.

On topic: the one that comes to mind is Pyromancer Ascension.

On the draw:
Mountain, Rite of Flame, Pyromancer Ascension (5 cards left)
Simian Spirit Guide, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame (6x, active Pyromancer Ascension, 2 cards left)
Rite of Flame (copied: 15x), Blaze for 10-14 (copied)

(Can be done on the play with, e.g., Manamorphose.)
Hmm perhaps I could use the same Channel combo to do something like...

Black Lotus into Channel.
Cast Mycosynth Lattice for color fixing. (-6 life)
Flash a Phage the Untouchable into play. Pay the cost (5 life) to keep it in play.
Stifle Phage's ability. (-1 life)
Finally drop a Lightning Greaves and equip/swing with phage for game. (-2 life)

Uses all 7 cards in hand :D

It also hurts you for 14 life (or 13 technically if you use the floating green from the black lotus/channel)
Very similar to one already posted, but my friend's legacy deck wins on turn 1 using:

Mountain 4xLotus Petal Sneak Attack Serra Avatar 
Again, nobody lists the classic one....

Mountain, Black Lotus (green), Channel, Fireball.

In the very beginning, the deck minimum was 40 cards, and there was no 4-copy limit. Tjis was a legal (and very common) deck:

Black Lotus
Channel
Fireball
Mountain

Needing only four cards means that it's very likely to start the game with all four, AND if you don't you can mulligan to 4 (or 3 on the draw and topdeck).
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
2 Black Lotus, a Lotus Petal, and a Plains. Sac 1 Lotus and the Petal for Illusions of Grandeur, Sac the other Lotus for Donate, then use the plains to demystify the Illusions.

In the very beginning, the deck minimum was 40 cards, and there was no 4-copy limit. Tjis was a legal (and very common) deck:

Black Lotus
Channel
Fireball
Mountain

Needing only four cards means that it's very likely to start the game with all four, AND if you don't you can mulligan to 4 (or 3 on the draw and topdeck).

It's in the OP (with Demonfire instead of Fireball).

The lowest you'll have to go is to 8 life.  You pay 11 for the Mycosynth Lattice and Transcendence (using the extra from Black lotus after paying for Channel), leaving you at 9.  Pay 1 life, putting you at 8, gain 2 to 10.  Pay 1 life to 9, gain 2 to 11, etc.  Once you're at 19 life, you start paying 1 life twice in a row, then gaining 2, while netting one triggered ability on the stack to gain 2 life.

well yeah, my point was only ever that you didn't have to make sure you didn't pay yourself down to 0. you don't need to, but you totally can.

In the very beginning, the deck minimum was 40 cards, and there was no 4-copy limit. This was a legal (and very common) deck:

Black Lotus
Channel
Fireball
Mountain

It's in the OP (with Demonfire instead of Fireball).

My bad, missed that. Though the Channel has to be for 19, and I think Banefire would be better since that hand doesn't go Hellbent =P

Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.

forgot a hulk-flash combo:

Hedron Crab x 4, Dryad Arbor x 4 and the snake elder (which you sac) to fetch a land. Mill for 60 cards.

You can't play more than one Dryad Arbor per turn, because it counts as your land play of the turn..
The Dryad Arbors there aren't being played.  They're being put onto the battlefield via the Hulk/Flash combo.
Sign In to post comments