9/08/2010 StF: "Phyrexia and the Vaultlord"

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

You're right, that new minisite is flashy... but where is the content? No Orb of Insight, no partial spoiler, not even any real flavor background... it was really great in M11, but now it's kinda useless...
man,  you should have brought Gix back. Geth is miserable
An old nemesis that isnt Nicol Bolas?  Yay for Phyrexia and Yawgmoth!!!  I mean come on, hopefully everyone remembers the beginning of the mirrodin novel when a still sane memnarh found a smudge of Oil with unknown origins on the wall...then rubbed it off but noticed it sunk into his skin...phyrexia has been there all along biding its time for the return of yawgmoth.  and where better than a metal plane...

I called it on the oil last week!!!  Maybe not yawgmoth but definitely the oil is proven to have had something to do with it.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
You're right, that new minisite is flashy... but where is the content? No Orb of Insight, no partial spoiler, not even any real flavor background... it was really great in M11, but now it's kinda useless...

Yeah, hopefully they fill it in with something useful eventually.  Right now, most of the hot spots I clicked were simply empty and navigating around that site was a real pain in the rear.
Is it just me, or are the links at the end of the article (www.wizards.com/mirran and www.wizards.com/phyrexian) nonfunctional?

The minisite is at www.wizards.com/magic/mirrodin. 
bad links.  the ones posted at the end of the article direct to Gatherer.  please fix.
Speaking as the former Adept_Geth, I just want to say that I'm super excited.  Certainly far more excited than I was about Ith, High Arcanist.  Well done!
As bad as the writing was on the MD5 books was, I really enjoyed the concept of the plotline.  I assume I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Glissa cleanse Mirrodin of all the artifice at the end?   Regardless, it's good to see a return to the Phyrexia plotline, I feel like all the other plot lines are secondary to this one. 
GETH?!?

How about remove the last three letters and add ix? Please?

I mean he was a decent character, but when I hear the word 'nemesis' I think of someone much more boundlessly evil than a two-bit necromancer.  Oh well. The card is well designed, and while the CC is appropriate, that ability sounds a little too nasty to be that cheap and to not require a tap. Still, good looking card, nice flavor (even if I'm somewhat underwhelmed that he is our major villain).

On a more important note, I knew this damn oil spill was going to happen (see what I did there) and I swear to the heavens I am going to find the interview where a Wizards employee vehemently denied that the glistening oil was phyrexian.

I know it's going to be impossible to find, after all it's been... HOLY HELL, HAS IT REALLY BEEN 7 YEARS?!? but I will continue my search. 

Either way, I remember everyone hearing about another completely metal plane before Mirrodin was released and going "Oh Dear God, They're Bringing Back Phyrexia". It's great to see it finally come to fruition. 
6 mana 5/5 with evasion,
pay X to mill and put an army onto the field...

Nice zombie costume, Oona! Almost didn't recognize you; lol jk :P

Just for the record, I love that we're returning to Mirrodin. I hate hate hate that the Phyrexians are coming back and ruining my buzz.

I'm probably going to enjoy the set mechanically--I almost always do--but Phyrexians make me grind my teeth.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

copypaste:

Wow, cough, the retcons! THE RETCONS! TAKE THEM AWAY!!!!!!!!!
argh...

The article was horrible... continuity-wise. Even putting aside the fact that at the end of Fifth Dawn the plane had only three people left on it.

Karn's Tainted Heart

Karn, the keystone of the power of the Legacy Weapon artifacts, realized his destiny and obliterated Yawgmoth—and became a planeswalker in the process. He now carries within him the combined power of his creator Urza and all the artifacts of the Legacy.

First off, it was used to store his memories/contain his mind, so not exactly heart (despite the name), but nevermind. Brainheart?

Wait... was that Karn who realized his destiny, or Urza and Gerrard? Karn might have agreed, but it was Urza and Gerrard who decided what to do, and they did it. Karn had more of instrumental role.
Or am I forgetting something?
[will have to check the books]

With Yawgmoth destroyed, Phyrexia had no recourse, no retreat plan. The armies of Phyrexia fell. Dominaria became littered with the hollow shells left behind by the Phyrexian apocalypse.

Still not entirely true. We had some Phyrexians active after Apocalypse, didn't we. If only on Otaria's Arena.

Since its defeat, Phyrexia is no longer a place. But it is still a force in the Multiverse. Thanks to an innocuous quantity of strange black oil, Phyrexia lives—and grows.

And there I have it... I asked for it... damn.
I still think that's WRONG thing to do.
Phyrexia didn't collapse immidiately.
No one even cared about its damage while Urza was crawling in Yawgmoth's presence.
While I agree it could collapse some time after, I'd like to see that happen in storyline.
That's quite important place of 17 years of Magic's lore, dammit!
So saying it collapsed long time ago, didn't you know? is a bad thing to do.

If that's the attempt to ignore what was happening in Scourge with Karona, it's not the right way either. Because you're still writing second version of history rather than make an effort to explain everything what happened within the canon continuity.

The "glistening oil" is both a contagion and a means of colonization, a viral substance engineered to spread Phyrexian corruption wherever it travels. Without knowing it, Karn carried a trace of the Phyrexian oil within him, inside the Phyrexian heartstone granted to him long ago by Urza. Karn left traces of the oil in his travels from plane to plane, including the artificial world, the world Karn himself created: Mirrodin.

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong.
AREYOUPEOPLEBLIND?

You have cited the very important fragment of the book yourself!

Divide and grow. That was the first rule of any organism, especially one that had been created as a weapon. For what seemed an eternity, the oil had lain dormant, waiting to be unleashed upon a new world. The war for which it had been created had long since passed, but when a new pair of travelers came, it awoke again and followed them to this new, this pristine world.

Divide and grow. Divide and grow. That was the first rule. Divide and grow until the oil infused the entire world. There was time enough for contamination and control later. For now, it must simply divide and grow.

—The Moons of Mirrodin, prologue

That means two things:
First, that THIS oil was not the same as the Glistening oil, that always was an active component of Phrexians - their blood and source of power. And it was present on Domianria more times than I could count. While THIS new oil was the Weapon waiting to be unlished upon Dominaria. (But ok... I'll give it to you - it could be Glistening oil 2.0...)

Second though, it clearly states HOW the oil got to Mirrodin.
It followed two travelers (Karn and Jeska) from one plane into another.
So it was not residing in Xantcha's heartstone all along, which doesn't make sense either way, cuz it was in hands of Urza, and he would inspect it closely for any signs of contamination before using it as a MIND of his most precious Time traveling probe [Karn] that was a mean to wipe out Phyrexians from history itself!

Not to mention that Will McDermott mentioned, the oil was unfinished weapon, which was not official, but made much more sense. If the weapon was ready, as you seem to state, during the Xantcha's adventures with Urza, the Apocalypse WITH that oil would come so much sooner.
Or it would immediately turn Karn mad, the same way it made Memnarch, and the whole Legacy would be tool of Phyrexians before Urza could finish saying "I'm ok, thank you".

Besides, it had much more sense that this new weapon limited itself inside Mirrodin.
If all the planes Karn travelled to are now contaminated, you will likely have to do either of two things: Phyrexianize the whole Multiverse, as evetually 'walkers will spread it on all planes, or use another lame Mending/DeusExMachina to wipe it out.

Seriuosly, citing the novel, as a legitimate source for the article, and then writing completely different things is Insane! -.-

For reasons only they understand, the Phyrexians granted Geth a new, Phyrexian metal body, grafting his undead head to it. Geth's new host body is arachnoid, repulsive, and unnaturally strong—perfectly to Geth's liking. Geth expects to have to repay his newfound dark masters for their gift, but for now takes advantage of the sinister powers it has granted him, and monitors the Phyrexians' movements in the Mephidross.

I hope that means some of the original Phyrexians from the old plane after all.
Although seeing what we got so far, I seriously doubt it.
I mean he was a decent character, but when I hear the word 'nemesis' I think of someone much more boundlessly evil than a two-bit necromancer.  Oh well. The card is well designed, and while the CC is appropriate, that ability sounds a little too nasty to be that cheap and to not require a tap. Still, good looking card, nice flavor (even if I'm somewhat underwhelmed that he is our major villain).

It sounded to me as if Geth is just a two-bit necromancer. He's clearly indebted and intimidated by the Phyrexians; they're the BBEGs. Someone still could be commanding the Phyrexians. Or they could remain a mindless, world-hopping force of nature, much like the Eldrazi. In either scenario, the article states the Phyrexians are Geth's new "dark masters". 

Also, no matter what the current state of Phyrexia, one thing is certain: Nicol Bolas will be pulling the strings. Come on, we all know it's bound to happen.

If all the planes Karn travelled to are now contaminated, you will likely have to do either of two things: Phyrexianize the whole Multiverse, as evetually 'walkers will spread it on all planes, or use another lame Mending/DeusExMachina to wipe it out.

This is also what I thought while reading the article.  The story just seems really dumb. 

The only thing I can rationalize is that Phyrexians are ultimately artificial lifeforms, or weapons that merge life into bodies composed of metal.  Since all the inhabitants of Mirodin ARE fused with metal, perhaps this makes them completely vulnerable to being taken over by "the oil," a weakness that no other plane has. 

This is also what I thought while reading the article.  The story just seems really dumb. 

The only thing I can rationalize is that Phyrexians are ultimately artificial lifeforms, or weapons that merge life into bodies composed of metal.  Since all the inhabitants of Mirodin ARE fused with metal, perhaps this makes them completely vulnerable to being taken over by "the oil," a weakness that no other plane has. 

It could be, but the problem is, this weapon was meant for the Invasion on Dominaria, which is a plane like any other. While on Mirrodin the infection might be rapid, it still should spread all over the Multiverse eventually...
Why is it that when I click on the Phyrexian site link at the end of the Article it takes me to the Mirrodin site?
Is everyone having this problem?
Why is it that when I click on the Phyrexian site link at the end of the Article it takes me to the Mirrodin site?

Perhaps, but I have a bigger one that sort of overrides it--I can't actually access any content on said site once I get there. (Or on the phyrexian site, if there is one.) I can click the header links, but my browser doesn't actually display any content once I do so.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yup, same problem here. Color me underwhelmed.
PHYREXIA IS BACKKK!!! =O =O
worst article ever. doug, if you are reading this, you should know that you are contradicting everything that has been told so far in magic history.

Xantcha's heart was infected since the beginning?  you must be really excited when you somehow found Karn has a Phyrexian heartstone. Two travellers you mention Karn and Jeska brought the oil to Mirrodin.
Wasn't the oil originally brought to Mirrodin by Karona?

did you really read other books written before?  you are a big joke doug.

You've failed Gerrard. You've failed the Legacy. You've failed yourself. I can do no more."
worst article ever. doug, if you are reading this, you should know that you are contradicting everything that has been told so far in magic history.

Xantcha's heart was infected since the beginning?  you must be really excited when you somehow found Karn has a Phyrexian heartstone. Two travellers you mention Karn and Jeska brought the oil to Mirrodin.

You've failed Gerrard. You've failed the Legacy. You've failed yourself. I can do no more."

Calm down, its just a story.

Calm down, its just a story.

It's somebody's job. How many times they dropped the ball on storyline? We are not idiots, they need to pay more attention or just give it up and get rid of storyline all together.  I think we deserve some more respect
This storyline wanking is missing an important detail: That Doug Beyer was apparently quoting a terrible passage from a terrible book seriously.  It really shouldn't be hard to make infestation creepy - StarCraft (II) is a reminder of how, actually - but that passage fails, which isn't surprising, as "The Moons of Mirrodin" is a literary war crime.  Out of sheer horrific curiosity, having heard the book sucks, I read the first ~1/3 of it or so while stuck at a bookstore, and it's godawful.  (And yes, I can enjoy hacky fantasy given a proper mindset, this doesn't qualify.)  The only possible explanation that can salvage any diginity for the author and editor is that there was no editor and the author had 3 days to write a novel.  The scary thing is that allegedly the later books are even worse, in that they don't even have a semi-interesting new setting idea to ruin.

Misetings is gone, but this archived review pretty well hits all the notes.

web.archive.org/web/20031213111512/miset...

Especially the "rargh we will make Glissa be a STRONG FEMALE lead but we have no idea how to do this so she will get into fights for no good reason and ignore people and win anyway."  But yeah.  Fail.  To be serious for a moment, this is very much a case where the retcon cannon is appropriate - just totally ignore as much of the past as possible and reboot the setting.