Gargantuan Demogorgon

I'm currently working on a Gargantuan Demogorgon. I just can't get into Orcus. Maybe I'll try Primus next lol.

It's about half sculpted. I made the armature out of florist's wire and bulked it out with some epoxy'd fiberglass. I've used Green stuff over the fiberglass and it seems sturdy enough yet very expensive so far.
In the mean time, anyone have experience with mold casting? Anything to worry about when molding a large very detailed figure? Am I going to have to hack it a part to cast it? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2119.jpg)
Very impressive!!  I can see green stuff being expensive, my 2cents is that you might look to "super sculpy firm", or the normal ss.  My understanding is that you get a much larger chunk of clay for a lower price.
That looks extreamly good so far, you out class my attempt to make the E1-3 villans by far. 

Some tips I've found out about moulding:  You can make either a sleeve mould by layering the stuff over it, and then pulling it off once its dry.  Doing this can run you into several problems like having a smaller portion like an arm trap larger parts of the model such as its hand, since it won't be small enough to fit through.

I'd suggest going for moulding it in pieces, and pouring 1/2 of the mould over your piece at a time, so you can easly seperate the pieces of the mould and won't run into the problem of getting your model stuck in it like the sleeve technique. 

I bought a thing of "easy cast" blue resin casting stuff to give it a test, hoping to make a few extra versions of my "timesus" mini but no one was really interested in buying so I sold it before molding it :/  The stuff was reasonably expensive and I'm sure theres cheaper molding material out there since you would need a decent ammount of it to fill all the space around the model. 

Another thing you can look into is sand casting, I know they use that for big metal objects and if you do it properly you can get very high detail in your mould.

As for casting, I'd say go with the easy cast clear cast epoxy.  You can get over a gallon for around 50$, and its super easy to use, and the ammount you get goes a long long way.

Hope that helps!
Ok, that is pretty darn awesome. I'd love to hear updates later.
sigh... someday... (switched to Quick Plastik)
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2540.jpg)

but in the mean time...
... some tentacles
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2538.jpg)
... a Monodrone and a Flumph
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2537.jpg)
... and a Silt Horror
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2536.jpg)
That's awesome! What technique did you use for the silt horror? Aculpted from green stuff? I recently updated this page with my silt horror tentacles, based on this project by The She DM.

I really dig your flumph. Also green stuff? I would love to see a tutorial. I'm a big flumph fan.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Hey, thanks. They are actually all made from craft store Sculpy baked in the oven. They were each shaped in individual pieces, then I glued the pieces together and painted them. You can't get as fine a detail with Sculpy but it's much cheaper than green stuff (plus this Sculpy was on sale).

Silt Horror: I flattened a pancake of clay over a glass ball I had to get the curve. I then trimmed sculpted most of the details with a toothpick or an old Exacto knife. For all the curly bits you just roll them out into a noodle and then smooth them with some water. The little scaley circles were the end of an ink pen I think. Then it was just a matter of base coating it followed by layered painting/dry brushing.

Flumph: A disk of clay with a mouth impressed into it. Rolled out some eye stalks and a wide variety of tentacle shapes and lengths. Glue all the tentacles into a big "wad" at the bottom, then impale it on a toothpick glued into a based. Paint it up.

Most of my stuff uses fairly mundane materials, toothpicks, paper clips and florist wire.
Awesome, and thanks for sharing! What kind of glue do you use with the Sculpy?

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I usually just use some cheap super glue.

I found something great yesterday

I went to a church yard sale and they had this David and Goliath action figure set for $3.00! I eventually settled on
modding Goliath into Gruumsh, but I think the figure is generic enough to be any diety. Maybe I'll get around to a whole pantheon some day.
DEMOGORGON UPDATE:

Finished sculpting Big-D (Demogorgon, not Dudley Dursley). Probably gonna get primered later this evening. Start painting tomorrow? Pictures at some point.

...and finally after, what, a year... GARGANTUAN DEMOGORGON! the miniature.

..and from the player's perspective...

Completely amazing. Congratulations!

That is seriously awesome.
Now, this is something new. Awome work! And the paintjob is also real good!
Congratulations! 
I usually just use some cheap super glue.

I found something great yesterday

I went to a church yard sale and they had this David and Goliath action figure set for $3.00! I eventually settled on
modding Goliath into Gruumsh, but I think the figure is generic enough to be any diety. Maybe I'll get around to a whole pantheon some day.

coulda made a damn fine storm giant of sorts witha  little hair 

Looks good! Im actually looking into making some miniatures. I currently make my own molds and cast dungeon terrain out of a high impact plastic resin. I may be looking for someone to sculpt some minis for me when i get my affairs in order. I will be looking into a plastic mold injection maching soon. A small 1 of course, just to start out. I could probably cast that mold for you, but it woud have to be seperated in areas. It would have to be a 2 part mold for the pieces. Contact me, i'll guide you through it.

Sign In to post comments