Spelljammer Campaign Setting for 2011

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Announced here and there unofficially but i've read that along with Ravenloft would be Spelljammer being one of the Campaign Setting for 2011 more than once, from a guy that know a guy, that know a guy, ... at WoTC.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...!

What would you like to see concretly done ?
Because I was curious, I did some research to find out just was being announced. Here's what I've found that's been announced for 2011:

critical-hits.com/2010/08/07/gen-con-201...
www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

I'm really curious to see where Spelljammer is announced, and not just in rumor.

Anyway, I'd love to see how the 4e cosmology applies to space travel. Do worlds like Toril still exist in crystal spheres, or do you reach the Astral Sea upon traveling above the atmosphere? It's not really clear for the base cosmology, but Page 8 of the Eberron Campaign Guide says, "Finally, beyond even the stars, lie the farthest reaches of the Dragon Above: the endless expans of the Astral Sea (see page 261)." That to me suggests that crystal spheres exist in 4e.
"Turns out having Eberron's equivalent to a Spectre flying close-air on your side is a good way to level the field when the bad guys send Warforged Titans after you." -M4kitsu
I was the one who started the thread he mentioned.

I'm currently on detachment with my squadron, and the nearby town has a gamign store.  The place is a "priority distributor" or whatever they call it, and has been one for WotC since before WotC aquired DnD.  The proprietor, wioth whom I was discussing upcoming products (like Essentials, Ravenloft, etc) mentioned that Spelljammer was in the works for 2011.  I went back again later and asked how sure he was.  His response was "I got an email from (dev name withheld to protect this guy), and he said one of the settings in the pipeline is Spelljammer."

I recognized the name of the developer, and most of you would, too.  He's someone who's been involved in D&D (and Dragon magazine) for years.  If i name names, someone at WotC might get in trouble, as well as my guy at the gaming store.

I understand this is just a rumor, and is far removed from many of you.  But for me, personally, the information is 1 degree removed from the source (developers at wotc).

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need me my Man-O-Wars!!!
I need my Hammerships!
Yeah buddy, that littl gnome's got an Accelerator Cannon!
That's little tinker's got his own flying hamster!

:D

--| SILVERBLADES SUITCASE |-- Dark Sun & Spelljammer digital art & tutorials
Not to be disrespectful, but for me personally, I'll believe it when the product is announced. It sure would be nice if they revived the setting thoug.
"Turns out having Eberron's equivalent to a Spectre flying close-air on your side is a good way to level the field when the bad guys send Warforged Titans after you." -M4kitsu
Not to be disrespectful, but for me personally, I'll believe it when the product is announced. It sure would be nice if they revived the setting thoug.

I share this same sentiment.

As for what I'd like to see in Spelljammer:
Ship-to-ship combat rules.
Swahsbuckling rules (if for no other reason than to compare to the fencing defenses in my sig).
Firearms (I'm hoping Ravenloft has them, but I definitely want them in Speljammer if Raveloft doesn't have them).
Tinker Gnomes, Xixchil, Scro (or half-scro), Illitihid, and Giff as playable races.

Accessories I'd like to see for Spelljammer:
Dungeon tiles for the deck and interior layout of spelljamming vessels.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

#BoobsNotBlood

I am interested in seeing this

-Havard
Be nice if they made a miniature ship battle game, that we can tack into normal combat....

MINIS!!!! ME WANTY!!! :p
Okay, spoke to my guy at the gaming store again, and he said it was cool to name names, as he wouldn't be in trouble, there was nothing hush-hush about it.  The designer he mentioned, he at first said Skip Williams, but thought about it, and said, it may not have been Skip (although he does sometimes recieve info from Skip).

The email said "Spelljammer is in the pipeline for end of 2011", so that means either 4th quarter, or maybe pushed back to 2012.
well we can hope, 20 years I've been waiting for more Spelljammer....
In the light of this quote from the DS Dev chat I wouldn't be surprized if Spelljammer were one of the future settings.

Show

Does anybody remember the Dark Sun Dev Chat? This is from the transcript:

WotC_Trevor: From MisterKojak: Spelljammer? Dare a boy Dream….?

WotC_RichBaker: A couple of years ago I would have said no way. Now, I’m not so sure. We’ve got a few rumblings that might be coming around in the future. Nothing coming up really soon, but…maybe.

In the meantime, my novel Corsair touches on it a bit, if you want a little taste of spelljamming in and around 4e Forgotten Realms. (a bit of self-promotion there, sorry)

OK folks, I’m afraid I have to run. Thanks to all of you for stopping by, and I hope I got at least a few of the questions you cared about answered!

So ummm...yeah....4e spelljammer?
I don't have the pleasure of knowing any of the WotC employees, but, my guess is nope, never on revising elves in spaaaaace.
Spelljammer is thought of by many as an embarassment  on the D&D universe. I have nothing against it, per se, and I did own the 2e box set. Loved the art/ship design. Still do, actually. No one I knew wanted to play then, and I bet now, they'd be hard pressed to find enough intrest to justify the expense of producting it up.

People loved 4e Dark Sun. You can't even get the DSCG on Amazon w/o playing more than the MSRP now.

And I hear people want PlaneScape to go 4e.

My opinion (for better or worse) is that we'll see 5e before Spelljammer.    

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

So ummm...yeah....4e spelljammer?
I don't have the pleasure of knowing any of the WotC employees, but, my guess is nope, never on revising elves in spaaaaace.
Spelljammer is thought of by many as an embarassment  on the D&D universe. I have nothing against it, per se, and I did own the 2e box set. Loved the art/ship design. Still do, actually. No one I knew wanted to play then, and I bet now, they'd be hard pressed to find enough intrest to justify the expense of producting it up.

I think that is predominantly the sort of stuff put out by people that think they can trash one D&D setting in order to trick WotC into putting out another setting that they like more.

I've seen people trashing Greyhawk and Dragonlance (as being too similar to Forgotten Realms to be worth doing as 4e settings) recently and I think that has happened because people think that WotC might pick one of them as the 2012 setting.

People loved 4e Dark Sun. You can't even get the DSCG on Amazon w/o playing more than the MSRP now.

And I hear people want PlaneScape to go 4e.

My opinion (for better or worse) is that we'll see 5e before Spelljammer.

I think you may be right.

One of the problems with 4e Spelljammer is that the original setting is built around Dragonlance (Krynnspace), Greyhawk (Greyspace), Forgotten Realms (Realmspace) and an asteroid (The Rock of Bral). 4e has only covered a third of the settings that SJ was founded on, so that makes it pretty hard to convert SJ into something that would be an updated version of the original.

It could possibly be done as a Realmspace thing. Or they could update Paizo's Shadow of the Spider Moon.

But one of the things I thought was cool about SJ was that it could connect other gameworlds. If a 4e Spelljammer Campaign Guide was going to come out, I'd love to see it include a crystal sphere for Nentir Vale, a crystal sphere for Eberron (3e's Monster Manual V had the Mind Flayers of Thoon that used Naultiloid ships to get from Eberron to The Far Realm and back) an update on Realmspace (showing how the Spellplague would affect other worlds in the sphere) and a connection for Dark Sun (although improving on Night Druid's Crimson Sphere netbook would be hard).

I can't see that being too easy. But perhaps Spelljammer could be droped down to become a core rulebook instead of a setting.

Or maybe it will wait until 5e. Under 5e SJ could be an excuse to publish a ton of mini-campaign settings as SJ planets.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

Yes WOTC needs to at least  bring back and update Ravenloft and SpellJammer. That would be an instant sell for me as long as they do it well. Or at least make something similar in the same vein and would still catch my interest.

Spelljammer was much loved in my groups . Nevermind the fact that I have not played in many a long year. We ( my group of players ) have begun discussing a return to gaming . Should I end up as DM it will for sure be a second edition AD&D game. Why you ask? SPELLJAMMER!! It rocked . Now as for my views... I have read a good chunk of the books that have come out in the last 10 years . I am no expert ( I never played any rules past AD&D 2nd ) Unless DDO or Neverwinter counts . But ( alllways One of those) I think the planes and spelljammer should always be part of the core rules. Do they have to be in print? No Just kept in mind as shall we say natural law?  Just as Greayhawk and Krynn are always going to be real and true D&D worlds . Planescape and Spelljammer will always be out there.... just beyond our reach . And Ravenloft will always be right there just waiting . watching. planning ....
Yes WOTC needs to at least  bring back and update Ravenloft and SpellJammer. That would be an instant sell for me as long as they do it well. Or at least make something similar in the same vein and would still catch my interest.

A couple of Spelljammer articles (from Dungeon) have been mentioned on The Piazza.

My concern for Spelljammer (and Ravenloft) is that with 5e announced, I'm not sure how much development could be put into it before the 4e-5e transition shuts down the product line. We could perhaps get a new version of the campaign setting, but not have any time for a new crystal sphere (or a new area of Ravenloft). The first SJ (or RL) book is going to need to reinvent the wheel to an extent. And the monsters will need to be reinvented. I can't imagine us getting totally new stuff until the 3rd or 4th book.

And what will happen with the SJ setting? Will we get the "Known Spheres" setting that came with 3e, the Shadow of the Spider Moon mini-setting that Paizo published for 3e or will they reboot SJ to get it to connect to Forgotten Realms, but remove Greyyhawk and Dragonlance?

I hear that Greyhawk is coming back, but don't hear anything about Dragonlance. So maybe they would just cut Krynnspace out of the Known Spheres. (In a 4e FR era, Krynnspace would already be problematic, due to the "Takhisis steals Krynn" plotline. That plotline removes the main campaign world from that crystal sphere.)

Spelljammer was much loved in my groups . Nevermind the fact that I have not played in many a long year. We ( my group of players ) have begun discussing a return to gaming . Should I end up as DM it will for sure be a second edition AD&D game. Why you ask? SPELLJAMMER!! It rocked . Now as for my views... I have read a good chunk of the books that have come out in the last 10 years . I am no expert ( I never played any rules past AD&D 2nd ) Unless DDO or Neverwinter counts . But ( alllways One of those) I think the planes and spelljammer should always be part of the core rules. Do they have to be in print? No Just kept in mind as shall we say natural law?  Just as Greayhawk and Krynn are always going to be real and true D&D worlds . Planescape and Spelljammer will always be out there.... just beyond our reach . And Ravenloft will always be right there just waiting . watching. planning ....

DDO is Eberron (IIRC) and it might be based on 3e or 4e rules. I know that Heroes of Neverwinter is connected to the 4e version of Neverwinter and is based on 4e rules. But it is all D&D as far as I am concerened. I use 3e and would be happy to raid cool stuff from 4e. I think that a 2e gamer can raid from both 3e and 4e (although 3e is a bit easier to raid from).

Beyond the Moons has an article about raiding from the 3e mini-setting for Spelljammer and turning it into a new crystal sphere. And you can find plenty of other things to raid hidden in some 3e and 4e products. Forgotten Realms is a pretty good "stealth supporter" of Spelljammer. The 3e FRCS has a couple of pages on the Sea of Night (that actually help clarify movement of The Tears of Selune) and the 4e-era FR novel Corsair has details on one of the Tears of Selune.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

I asked the folks at WOC to release whatever they had from the abandoned 2nd Edition AD&D Spelljammer Infinity Sphere. Other than the courtesy reply haven't heard back from them.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't care how rough it is, how little it is (even if nothing but the initial writeup!) That unfinished Module/Boxed Set (?) teases with (I believe) 3 references from magic items in the compilation of magic items before 3.x came along.

PLEASE! Ask Wizards of the Coast to release the (unfinished) Infinity Sphere online so those of us who fell in love with the POSSIBILITIES this "game world" offered us for so short a period of time!!!
Sign In to post comments