You Build the Character #12 - C-3PO and R2-D2

This competition is now closed.

Hi everyone, and welcome back to You Build the Character. This month sees the first dual character competition, and who better than the Laurel and Hardy of Star Wars, C-3PO and R2-D2. You have until 11.59pm (PDT) on Thursday 23 September to post your RPG stats, and any notes you want to post explaining your decisions. Once submissions have closed, all forum members will have until 11.59pm (PDT) on Thursday 30 September to vote for their favourite. Whichever build receives the most votes will win.

The prize for winning is having your stats enshrined in the YBtC Hall of Fame, as well as the bragging rights.

The following rules apply to all submissions:
  1. All builds must be created according to RAW, with no house rules (no single Athletics skill, no bonus feats for bloodlines etc).

2. You may use "unlimited" point buy for 3PO's and R2's ability scores, provided each score is between 3 and 18 at first level (before racial and age adjustments).

3. You are free to use material from all official Saga Edition books, up to and including The Unknown Regions.

4. Your stats may represent 3PO and R2 at any point during their lives, or serve as an overall interpretation of the characters as a whole. You may even include multiple stats to represent multiple points in time, provided they are all different level versions of the same build (ie no swapping out talents or feats). However, you must include at least one build for each character.

5. 3PO and R2 are droids, and as such use the droid creation rules found in Chapter XI of the core rulebook. Alternatively, you may use the rules found in Chapter I of the Scavenger's Guide to Droids. Make sure to note which rules you are using in your post.

6. You may change your stats at any point up until submissions close, at which point any edited stats will be disqualified.

Have fun everyone, and may the Force be with you. Smile

Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Ooh, Artoo and Threepio.
I guess I should enter the versions that I made for the NJO CG
It's morphin time! ...Oh wait, wrong universe. Now where did I put my lightsabre? Winner of "You Build the Character 16 - Wedge Antilles" and "You Make the ... Contest 3 - Elite Forces"
PJR: Sounds good. All you have to do is post them in this thread and you're in the running.

Everyone else: Come on, don't be shy! At this stage in the competition it could go to anyone, so why not have a go? Don't be put off if this is your first time entering either - more than one competition has been won by a first time entrant.

So yeah, you've got two weeks left. Let's see what you can do with the galaxy's most famous astromech/protocol droid duo. Smile
Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Okay I'll give it a shot.

3PO is pretty straightforward, except for his speed which looks to be less than standard human walking speed in the movies. Other than that he's a pretty basic droid model, and can be blown apart with one blaster shot as we know.

R2 is a little more well put together, but still vulnerable to a lucky crit from a blaster or ion weapon. The Brilliant Defense and Skill Challenge feats I gave him were based on the TPM scene where he repairs the shield generator, and of course he has to have all the slicing talents money can buy.

C-3PO
Medium droid (3rd-degree) nonheroic 3
Init -1; Senses Perception +0
Languages Basic, Binary, Bocce, Huttese, Shyriiwook
-------------------------------------
Defenses Ref 8 (flat-footed 8), Fort 9, Will 9
hp 7; Threshold 9
Immune droid traits
Speed 4 squares (walking)
Melee unarmed +1 (1d3-1)
Base Atk +2; Grp +1
Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con —, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 10
Feats Linguist, Skill Training (Knowledge [galactic lore, social sciences], Mechanics, Use Computer)
Skills Knowledge (bureaucracy) +7, Knowledge (galactic lore) +7, Knowledge (social sciences) +7, Mechanics +7, Persuasion +6, Use Computer +7
Systems walking locomotion, basic processor, translator unit (DC 5), 2 hand appendages, vocabulator
Possessions audio recorder

R2-D2
Small droid (2nd-degree) nonheroic 1/Scoundrel 5
Destiny 2; Force 3
Init +4; Senses darkvision; Perception +5
Languages Basic, Binary, Huttese, Shyriiwook, 1 unassigned
Defenses Ref 19 (flat-footed 18), Fort 14, Will 16
hp 20; Threshold 14
Immune droid traits
Speed 6 squares (wheeled), 2 squares (walking), 9 squares (flying)
Melee electroshock probe +2 (1d8+1 ion)
Base Atk +3; Grp -1
Special Actions Gimmick
Abilities Str 8, Dex 12, Con —, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Talents Gimmick, Master Slicer, Trace
Feats Brilliant Defense, Skill Challenge: Last Resort, Skill Focus (Knowledge [technology], Mechanics, Use Computer), Skill Training (Pilot), Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons)
Skills Knowledge (physical sciences) +11, Knowledge (technology) +16, Mechanics +18, Pilot +9, Stealth +9, Use Computer +16
Systems wheeled locomotion, walking locomotion, flying locomotion (limited), magnetic feet, heuristic processor, 6 tool appendages, 1 claw appendage, diagnostics package, internal storage (2 kg), improved sensor package, darkvision, spring-loaded mechanism
Possessions astrogation buffer (storage device, 10 memory units), circular saw, electroshock probe, fire extinguisher, electric arc welder, holorecorder, holoprojector
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8

R2-D2, Distraction Machine (when he went nuts on the bridge of the Invisible Hand)   CL 4

Small droid (2nd-degree) scoundrel 4/nonheroic 2
Init +5; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +10
Languages Basic (understand only), Binary, Huttese (understand only), Shyriiwook (understand only)

Defenses Ref 19 (flat-footed 17), Fort 13, Will 15
hp 29; second wind +7/14; Threshold 13
Immune droid traits

Speed  6 squares (wheeled), 4 squares (walking), 9 squares (flying)
Melee electroshock probe +3 (1d8+1 ion) or
Melee laser welder +3 (1d8+1)
Ranged  by weapon +6
Fighting Space 1 square; Reach 1 square
Base Atk +4; Grp +1
Atk Options Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Disruptive, Logic Upgrade: Tactician, Quick Skill, Stymie

Abilities Str 9, Dex 15, Con -, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 8
Special Qualities Rapport
Talents Disruptive, Stymie
Feats Distracting Droid, Logic Upgrade: Tactician, Point Blank Shot, Quick Skill, Rapport, Skill Focus (Use Computer), Skill Training (2), Weapon Proficiency (simple)
Skills Deception +8, Endurance +3, Mechanics +10, Perception +10, Pilot +10, Stealth +10, Use Computer +15
Systems claw appendage, darkvision, diagnostics package, flying locomotion (limited), heuristic processor, improved sensor package, 2 kg internal storage, magnetic feet, 6 tool appendages, walking locomotion, wheeled locomotion
Possessions electroshock probe, laser welder

R2%26Palps.jpg

C-3PO, Leader of the Droid Rebellion    CL 7

Medium droid (3rd-degree) noble 5/nonheroic 2/officer 1/droid commander 1
Init +3; Senses Perception +6
Languages Basic, Binary, High Galactic, Huttese, Shyriiwook; translator unit (DC 5)

Defenses Ref 18 (flat-footed 18), Fort 18, Will 23
hp 41; second wind +10/20; Threshold 18
Immune droid traits

Speed  6 squares (walking)
Melee unarmed +5 (1d4+2)
Ranged  by weapon +5
Base Atk +6; Grp +5
Atk Options Droid Hunter
Special Actions Bolster Ally, Born Leader, Droid Defense, Grand Leader, Inspire Confidence, Recall

Abilities Str 8, Dex 9, Con -, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 16
Special Qualities Leader of Droids, Natural Leader (organization scale 6)
Talents Bolster Ally, Born Leader, Droid Defense, Grand Leader, Inspire Confidence
Feats Droid Hunter, Leader of Droids, Linguist, Natural Leader, Recall, Skill Training (4), Weapon Proficiency (simple)
Skills Endurance +4, Knowledge (bureaucracy) +10, Knowledge (galactic lore) +10, Knowledge (social sciences) +10, Knowledge (tactics) +10, Persuasion +12, Use Computer +10
Systems basic processor, 2 hand appendages, translator unit (DC 5), vocabulator, walking locomotion

3po_rebellion.jpg

AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
Hello

Here's my C-3PO. R2D2 will arrive soon.

C-3PO Battle Droid of Geonosis
"What is all this noice? A Battle, there has been some terrible mistace. I am programmed for etiquette not destruction !"

250px-3POGeonosis.jpg

Medium droid (?th-degree) nonheroic 3/noble1
Init +1; Senses Perception +8
Languages Basic, Binary, High Galactic; translator unit (DC 5)

Defenses Ref 11 (flat-footed 11), Fort 12, Will 14
hp 16; second wind +4/8; Threshold 12
Immune droid traits

Speed  5 squares (walking)
Melee  by weapon +3
Ranged blaster carbine +1 (3d8) or
Ranged blaster carbine -4 (3d8) with autofire
Base Atk +2; Grp +3
Atk Options autofire (blaster carbine)

Abilities Str 12, Dex 8, Con -, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Talents Educated
Feats Skill Training (2), Toughness, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple)
Trained Skills Knowledge (bureaucracy) +8, Knowledge (galactic lore) +8, Knowledge (social sciences) +8, Perception +8

Systems basic processor, 2 hand appendages, integrated comlink, translator unit (DC 5), vocabulator, walking locomotion
Possessions blaster carbine

R2-D2 Jabba's barge Bartender    CL 6

r2d2-serves-drinks-sail-barge.jpg

Small droid (2nd-degree) nonheroic 2/scoundrel 6
Init +6; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +11
Languages Basic (understand only), Binary, Huttese (understand only), Mon Calamarian (understand only), Shyriiwook (understand only)

Defenses Ref 21 (flat-footed 19), Fort 15, Will 17; Dodge, Mobility
hp 40; second wind +10/20; Threshold 15
Immune droid traits

Speed  3 squares (wheeled), 2 squares (walking), 4 squares (flying)
Melee  by weapon +4
Ranged  by weapon +7
Base Atk +5; Grp +2
Atk Options Melee Defense, Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Gimmick

Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Talents Gimmick, Master Slicer, Trace
Feats Dodge, Melee Defense, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Mechanics, Use Computer), Skill Training (2), Toughness, Weapon Proficiency (simple)
Skills Deception +8, Gather Information +3 (may Use Computer +17 with access to a computer network instead), Knowledge (life sciences) +12, Mechanics +17, Perception +11, Pilot +11, Stealth +11, Use Computer +17 (may Issue Routine Command as swift action; may reroll to improve access to a computer and keep the better result)
Systems claw appendage, darkvision, diagnostics package, flying locomotion (limited), heuristic processor, improved sensor package, 3 kg internal storage, magnetic feet, 7 tool appendages, walking locomotion, wheeled locomotion
Possessions : circular saw, drink dispenser, drinks holder (serving tray), electric arc welder, electroshock probe, fire extinguisher, holoprojector, holorecorder

Come and see my Star Wars Character Gallery! Please add a comment Winner of You Build the Character #26 Bounty Hunters Winner of YBtC #39 A New Hope
Just one week now until submissions close.
Submissions are now closed. Voting is now open for the winning entry. Each forum member may vote once for their favourite entry in the contest. Post your vote in this thread, and remember to include the screenname of the person you're voting for. You have until 11.59pm (PDT) on Thursday 30 September to vote.

Good luck to everyone who entered, and may the best stats win. Smile
This one was hard to decide on as all of these versions have excellent premises and construction.

I think I'm going to place my vote with fairytalejedi though as those versions would fit nicely into any campaign set during the time period of the movies and are holistic interpretations of their abilities as a whole.

EDIT: Just realised that your above post Jedi_Comedian was your 1'000th. Congrats.
EDIT: Just realised that your above post Jedi_Comedian was your 1'000th. Congrats.

Heh, so it was. Probably means I spend too much time on here. Wink

You're not too far off yourself DS, by the looks of it.
I think I'm going to have to vote for fairytalejedi as well.
Good job everyone but I like fairytalejedi's the best.

All the submissions were awesome, I agree.
FairytaleJedi’s takes my vote :D

Derf's entry was very entertaining, but I've got to agree with everyone else, the best representation was fairytalejedi's so that's where my vote goes.
WINNER OF YOU BUILD THE CHARACTER #6 - Qui-Gon Jinn "For 300 years we prepared, we grew stronger. While you rested in your cradle of power." -Lord Malgus, The Old Republic Trailer "Am I the only one that saw the film and thought Obi-Wan was expressing an opinion of moral superiority/ideological victory with his statement? Y'know, instead of stating to the highly experienced combatant in front of him the obvious fact that he stood a few meters below him on the vertical axis?" -d20 Radio regarding Obi-Wan's comment to Anakin "It's over Anakin. I have the high ground."
Love "R2 the distraction machine" and Geonosis 3P0, but Fairytalejedi's builds best represent the characters.
OK everyone, voting is now closed. And the winner is... fairytalejedi! Congratulations FTJ, your stats will be entered into the Hall of Fame. Feel free to put "Winner of You Build the Character #12" in your signature.

Thank you to everyone who entered and voted, and keep your eyes peeled for the next YBtC competition. Smile
Congratulations FTJ !
Thanks to the friendly messages and long life to YBtC !
Come and see my Star Wars Character Gallery! Please add a comment Winner of You Build the Character #26 Bounty Hunters Winner of YBtC #39 A New Hope
I never even got a single vote before! Thank you, everyone. I'm so happy.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8

Congratulations, fairytalejedi. Smile

Sign In to post comments