PT: Amsterdam

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so day 1 of the PT is over, and it's looking like a pretty diverse field (and Faeries are nowhere near being the boogeyman). White Weenie appears to be pretty powerful. Scapeshift is popular but looks to be on the losing end of the metagame. Blah Blah Blah. Discuss.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

It was obvious faeries was going to be terrible in the format, since it can't beat Grove of the burnwillows.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

It was obvious faeries was going to be terrible in the format, since it can't beat Grove of the burnwillows.

Fea will take it's throne as the corner of the archtype triangle of Control-Agro-Combo. As it beats 5cc loses to Jund and beats scapeshift once it loses grove.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm pretty sure Bant Bears would be capable of dominating the field at PT: Amsterdam. Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage, backed up by mana leaks going to shut down a great deal of the field. Then just runnign better creatures like Knight and warmonk  should handle the rest well.

I think Connelly woods deck would have been better with Teegs instead of Goyfs, and a cryptic replacement.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Yea i do like Woods deck but i agree with Cyrus that he should have gone with a bit more agro creatures and teeg simply because teeg in this format atm is rather good. Also i am surprised with the amount of combo type decks that are running around right now, it will suck when time rotates but this is a really nice format for now.

Also i am really interested in seeing the Doran deck that channel fireball is running as it seems to be rather good.

And after time then we will go into more of fae deck, 5c control, jund, doran, bant, decks i think and there will be few combo decks. Even scapeshift may die with the leaving of some of the ramp spells it has. So here's hoping scars gives us something good to play with.

EDIT:
 The doran list looks so good. Also all of the top 8 decks are all just agro and control decks so maybe combo isn't as good as it seemed and was just the easy type of deck to play in a format were you don't now what your facing? Also i would pick up some dorans right now with even the rotate it won't be losing much so it should still stay rather good.

Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.
I really like Ben Lundquist's Runner Runnr Dredge(?) and Brian Kibler's Treehouse.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.

I'm pretty sure Bant Bears would be capable of dominating the field at PT: Amsterdam. Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage, backed up by mana leaks going to shut down a great deal of the field. Then just runnign better creatures like Knight and warmonk  should handle the rest well.

I think Connelly woods deck would have been better with Teegs instead of Goyfs, and a cryptic replacement.

Teeg does absolutely nothing against his worst match-ups. Nothing at all.

Teeg does absolutely nothing against his worst match-ups. Nothing at all.

Meddling Mage + Teeg basically shut down half the format. No punishing fires thanks to mage, then Teeg takes out Nauseum(and conglafrate), Scapeshift, Wrath effects, Cryptic Command, time warps in the Ascension Deck, Mystical Teachings. Having these bears and counterspells agaisnt the format is pretty nuts. Sure you will board him out for some games, but for the majority of matches, it'll improve the deck.

Mage naming Doran is pretty excellent too, if you protect it with counters, then they basically can't win, since so much power of the Doran deck rests with Doran, whilst you swing with 4/5 War Monks, or in the air with 4/2 Cliques etc etc..... So much for their 0/3 walls or Leeches then.

Anyway, it's the end of this extended now, so it's irrellevant.
Given the sucess of the white weenie deck, and the Doran deck, one would think the GW tokens (or some variant) might do well in this format as well.

Another thing I just noticed is the scapeshift zoo decks could have been running rangers of eos, not only to reload post wrath or other things, but that they could use them to search for Dryad Arbor if they ran out of lands...  too late now I suppose.

Meddling Mage + Teeg basically shut down half the format. No punishing fires thanks to mage, then Teeg takes out Nauseum(and conglafrate), Scapeshift, Wrath effects, Cryptic Command, time warps in the Ascension Deck, Mystical Teachings. Having these bears and counterspells agaisnt the format is pretty nuts. Sure you will board him out for some games, but for the majority of matches, it'll improve the deck.

Mage naming Doran is pretty excellent too, if you protect it with counters, then they basically can't win, since so much power of the Doran deck rests with Doran, whilst you swing with 4/5 War Monks, or in the air with 4/2 Cliques etc etc..... So much for their 0/3 walls or Leeches then.

Anyway, it's the end of this extended now, so it's irrellevant.

No offense, but I think you need to see the day 2 results. White Weenies and Doran both survive completely through the rotation, and as was said, teeg does nothing to those decks. Mage naming Doran is a hassle until they tutor for nameless inversion. If meddling mage ever becomes a big enough problem, Doran won't have an issue dealing with it. Granted, this format is basically moot now, but I don't think Conley's deck was ever really going to handle weenies or Doran.

The weenies deck is frightening, considering how consistent it is. Cheap to put together, too. Doran is a little pricier, but only because of the Murmuring Bosks and Pulses.

Photobucket

^ I said teeg would help against half the field that was there at PT: Amsterdam, half of the field being combo decks.

I didn't say anything about post rotation, which is a format where Wrath effects will probably see A LOT more play, since Lorwyn onwards is when the great creature>>>spells revolution began.
Sign In to post comments