9/07/2010 LI: "Shattering Pulses"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So... Quagmire Druid Replica?
Pretty much.

Decent pick in Limited (we'll see how the mana works out before I give my complete judgment).

Still, it's utility, and in Limited utility is good.  
So this is a really, really, really poor mans quasali pridemage? C'mon guys, you gotta give us something to work with here!!!!
This is a decent power level card. Still great for a common.
And Quasali Pridemage was too OP, no need for such sick stuff.
Its a decent sideboard card if (when?) artifact decks get big.  I run green, so I might end up using it.  Its not particularly splashy though.  The art is a big plus.  
These humans, their imaginations are strong. Kill a thousand men and they will hate you. Kill a million men and they will queue to face you. But kill a single man and they will see monsters and devils in every shadow. Kill a dozen men and they will scream and wail in the night, and they shall feel not hatred, but fear. Excerpt from Simon Spurrier's Lord of the Night
Will see plenty of limited play especially with the number of artifacts people will play.  Probably see some constructed but mainly from the Sideboard.
Boo... this and the the Quicksilver Gargantuan were both spoiled before the magic.com article was even available (in Aus at least). Probably my fault for searching for the spoilers, but still. Try harder.

Onto the card though, I like that they are keeping the 2/2, 1/3 or 3/1 for 3 CC thing going for the replicas.

Interested to see how the other replicas get bumped up in power. I'm guessing the nim update will involve poison and -1/-1s in some way. Goblin replica as a 3/1 haste and having destroy artifact or land would be flavourful. I mean, wizard replica always had flying while the other four replicas didn't have any additional powers.
I'm really glad to see this. Viridian Zealot is a card I'd love to have in more of my decks - maindeckable Disenchant , but it was rare. This is basically the same, but less fragile, less aggressive, and less colour-intensive. Since my decks tend towards the controlling style, I'm very happy with this. I see myself picking up 8-16 of this common. Qasali Pridemage was just as good, but being gold distinctly hampers the decks it can go in.
It's not quite as good as pridemage, but as a predominantly standard player I'm glad to see it's sticking around. Also good to see that the CMC is staying below 4 for Sun Titan purposes.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
So this is a really, really, really poor mans quasali pridemage? C'mon guys, you gotta give us something to work with here!!!!

It's a first pick Limited card, I'm not sure what else you were looking for?

This is the Limited column, so it's unlikely that a Constructed standout is going to be previewed here.
This guy is going to be insane in limited. Blowing up a Clone Shell in response to its imprint trigger ability, or just flat out killing a Steel Hellkite. Hooray for green removal that can attack and block!
Boo... this and the the Quicksilver Gargantuan were both spoiled before the magic.com article was even available (in Aus at least). Probably my fault for searching for the spoilers, but still. Try harder.

If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't read spoilers!

And great... we're going back to the days of maindecking artifact hate in limited.

Poor man's? You have to figure in the environment these guys go in is different. Scars of Mirrodin is likely to have far more powerful artifacts for this thing to destroy.

Speaking for Limited, Qasali Pridemage is a better creature, but only for attacking. For defending, the 1/3 can actually have advantages because you can block two-power creatures without trading, and still use your creature to off artifacts later on. The pridemage would also have cost 2C if it hadn't been two-colored, putting it's CMC on equal footing with the Replica.

Lastly, don't forget Metalcraft and its ilk want to have artifacts out there. The Sylvok Replica isn't great for that purpose but it can stay out there until you draw something you don't want to sack.

This is alright, the old replicas weren't anything special, even in limited. If this is indicitive of the cycle, they're made more relevant, but really it's just more of the same old thing. I wish they would have done something a little more different. The replica cycle was originally made before artifacts could have color and the activated ability cost was supposed to 'color' artifacts. After Alara, this isn't really innovative. Undecided

Some Sunburst in the mana cost or the activation cost would have helped. Original creature types (like a elf goblin automaton in this case) or something beyond shaman, which is reguarded as an unremarkable type. Frown

Making this a Myr would have made me happy. Yeah... they totally should have made this 'Poorly Replicated Elf' which would be a Myr Elf type that would be a cute robo-bird myr with a terrible elf disguse on top... that would have at least been funny. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The effect is strong, it pretty much obsoletes the old Elf and Goblin Replicas... which always makes me uneasy, but at least it's costed well and designed to be something useable. Decent card, but an unexciting preview card. In constructed, Sun Titan appreciates the 3 mana cost to graveyard tool box some artifact/enchantment removal.
Poor man's? You have to figure in the environment these guys go in is different. Scars of Mirrodin is likely to have far more powerful artifacts for this thing to destroy.

So more things to destroy justifies making the means of destroying those things worse?

So more things to destroy justifies making the means of destroying those things worse?

Yes, it certainly does, although it's not as simple as that. There is a reason why the original Mirrodin had Shatter, one of the most inefficient red artifact destruction spells, and not Shatterstorm or something like Shattering Spree : especially in Limited, the designers want people to be able to play and win with the themes that are the focus of their sets. It is for the same reason that Rise of the Eldrazi had Vendetta instead of something like Doom BladeRegress instead of Unsummon, etc. The answers to the themes need to be present in the set, but they must be less numerous and/or less powerful and/or less versatile, so the theme can thrive. It's the fine balance of threats and answers. It gets more complicated with the color pie; for example, green in Mirrodin was the artifact hating color, and had the most efficient answers to them, and fewer things synergistic with them. Red was somewhere in the middle; it liked artifacts, but it also liked to blow them up (which are two reconciliable things : sacrifice your own artifacts for a benefit).

Of course, as we old-timers know, especially for Standard constructed, R&D failed on the balancing for the original Mirrodin. So this time around, the threats are a little less frightening and the answers a little better. But still, the answers will not be at their all-time best, not extreme, so the theme can find its niche. Hence why Shatterstorm is not in M11, but Manic Vandal, which is not on the same level, but still better than Shatter, is. Also hence why something as crazy efficient as Qasali Pridemage is not in the environment, but something acceptably close like Sylvok Replica is.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

Yes, it does. Just look at how good Regress is in Rise of the Eldrazi limited, even though it's a card that is absurdly expensive compared to similar cards in other sets, like Unsummon. It makes level-up creatures small and removes big creatures put out via Spawn tokens. That makes Regress more powerful than Unsummon ever was, even though it's 2U instead of just U.

Just think about how great Naturalize is in an artifact theme. Not only will it always find a target, it will almost always find a good target like a powerful equipment or artifact creature. Sometimes, it will remove a game-breaking enchantment.