Fitting Red Box into Season 3

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
My local hobby shop missed out on signing up for the Sept 11 game day, so instead we're just going to play through the adventure in the Red Box.  A few guys have already asked if it was possible to use the same characters they make in the Red Box solo adventure in the season 3 game.  My question is: How can I make this happen? I'd like for it to be a continuation if possible, but right now I don't know the story for season 3 or how I can connect it with the "object in the box" (for spoiler sake object is not named).  Any more experienced DMs or such have any ideas?
My local hobby shop missed out on signing up for the Sept 11 game day, so instead we're just going to play through the adventure in the Red Box.  A few guys have already asked if it was possible to use the same characters they make in the Red Box solo adventure in the season 3 game.  My question is: How can I make this happen? I'd like for it to be a continuation if possible, but right now I don't know the story for season 3 or how I can connect it with the "object in the box" (for spoiler sake object is not named).  Any more experienced DMs or such have any ideas?

Has your store contacted their WPN rep to see if they can order it late? This was possible this season, including makeup sessions, so it is worth a try.

If not, LFR is an option as well. You could combine Red Boxed Set for newer players and LFR for experienced ones.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

My local hobby shop missed out on signing up for the Sept 11 game day, so instead we're just going to play through the adventure in the Red Box.

first off, sorry to hear you missed out on scheduling your game day 

i remember with the PHB3 game day earlier this year, you could download a pdf version if you missed the hard copy schedule date.  looks like they decided to no longer offer this starting with the last game day (Dark Sun).

A few guys have already asked if it was possible to use the same characters they make in the Red Box solo adventure in the season 3 game.  My question is: How can I make this happen?

the answer is yes, it is perfectly legitimate for them to use their red box characters for season 3.  i don't have the red box yet, nor do i have chapter 1 of season 3 yet, so i don't know anything about the stories of either, but it seems to me that it is the job of the DM to come up with a way to tie these 2 things together.

you already have the red box material and you should have the chapter 1 material for season 3 a week or 2 before the season starts, so you should have enough time to come up with a way to tie their red box characters to season 3.  good luck!
Thanks for the response guys.  I'll ask the Hobby store owner next time I see him about contacting the Rep.  
One thing to keep in mind is levelling up.

IIRC, Season 3 runs for 5 chapters, and you level up after each 2 chapters. Thus

Chapter 1-2: Level 1
Chapter 3-4: Level 2
Chapter 5: Level 3

If your red box characters have already hit Level 2 (which the starter adventure is designed to do), they'll be too powerful for the start of Encounters. They also won't earn proper XP.
Best solution is to have them keep Level 1 starter versions of their characters for use in Encounters.

Interesting fact: The Game Day adventure is intended as a direct followup to the Red Box adventure, and thus has Level 2 characters.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Our DM said that Keep On The Borderlands will continue the Red Box/Game Day storyline. But our characters have to go back to level 1. That is a little bit disappointing, but I think I will rather delevel than build a new character. This dwarven fighter is my first character ever, and I want to play him a little bit longer :-) (Build him as much as possible after the Harbek PC of the Game Day without knowledge that the two adventures are linked - but that was fun - playing at Game Day, I had the feeling that the story of our game at home continued).
LarsVolta,

I am sorry but your DM was mistaken. I played and ran the Red Box Gamday (RBGD) adventure and it has nothing to do with DDE Season 3: Keep On The Borderlands (KotB) other than it uses the Essentials materials for PCs.

You can recreate the characters you played during RBGD if you so desire, create a completely new PC using the Essential rules published to that point, or use one of the 6 pregens provided with KotB. In all cases your PC will start at 1st level. I am sorry that your DM set an incorrect assumption that you would start somewhere higher.

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz
No One Special
Ah okay, he didn't say that we would start somewhere higher. But he did say that the RBGD storyline will continue at DDE:KotB. So I hoped our group will go to the Chaos Scar to finish our Sunderpek Temple task (destroying the skull or finding the stolen artifact).

Doesn't matter, I'll see at wednesday Laughing I hope that the character builder will be updated at this time.

Thanks for the info.
It's been confirmed that the Character Builder will NOT be updated for Dark Sun or Essentials until "some time in October".

Basically, integrating the new Essential Builds, as well as Dark Sun themes, requires a serious rewrite of the code and update of the whole program.
Previously, it was simply adding more items to the database, which was easy.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
The RedBox adventure and Encounters Location are not the same, but luckily the Nentir Vale is easy enough to fit in.

So Kudos to your GM!

Yes Redbox Solo story characters as they finish the Solo adventure should be legal for Encounters.
So enjoy!

Post how your GM moves you from the Redbox location to the Encounter's location, that might prove useful to others who are going to do the same thing.

Palmerkun,
So the 9/21 update will not be a full update (meaning missing Dark Sun and Essentials).
Or did the push the 9/21 update back to October?

Thanks! 
Why is the Location not the same? Okay, it's a two day travel from the Cairngorm Peaks to the Chaos Scar (about 50 miles according to the map on p. 62 of the Red Box Dungeon Master's Book). But we moved from Fallcrest to Winterhaven at the Game Day, so I doesn't think it's much of a problem.

The issue with the CB is very sad, because if I want to earn the five renown points for building a character with the CB, I have to switch my character during the season. Thanks for the info.

My only possibilities now are to build a Red Bocx character (which sucks, because I'll already learned that these are not up to date - lot of changes in HotFL) or use a pregen. HotFL will probably not be available to me for the first session because my shop get the books normally one or two weeks after the release Frown.
Lars - There's nothing stopping you from making the character in the CB and getting the renown once the update has been released.
Lars - There's nothing stopping you from making the character in the CB and getting the renown once the update has been released.

Yes, of course, I can do that. But until then, I'll either play a character with some mistakes (Red Box character) or a character which isn't the one I imagine (pregen character). Don't understand me wrong: I believe I will have a great time in either case but I had hoped to play the same character from the start till the end without great changes in the middle of the season.

I can really understand that it is difficult to implement the Essentials stuff in the CB but I hoped so that I could get my hands on the HotFL stuff this way - because I have no other way to get it before the start of the Season.
Lars, you could always*gasp* make a character by hand.
LarsVolta,

For some super-heated retoric complaining about the lack of a CB update this month and some actual insight into why software development is hard, especially for a company like WotC which does not have the monetary nor personel resources of a dedicated software company, check out this thread on ENWorld:
No Character Builder Update - ENWorld Thread

One of the better posts on development issues:
www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/2940...

I am sorry that Heroes of the Fallen Lands (HotFL) is not available near you yet (I just got my copy from my FLGS). Its a bummer that WotC couldn't get the CB out with Dark Sun and the Essentials updates this month. In about three weeks we will see if the dev problems they are having have been resolved and maybe the update will be on time in October (fingers crossed).

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz
No One Special

Depending on what you want to play, it will take a little work, but you may be able to pull a 1st level character together from the previews, pre-gens, and the spoilers some posters on ENWorld and RPG.net gave out.

Yes, of course, I can do that. But until then, I'll either play a character with some mistakes (Red Box character) or a character which isn't the one I imagine (pregen character). Don't understand me wrong: I believe I will have a great time in either case but I had hoped to play the same character from the start till the end without great changes in the middle of the season.

I can really understand that it is difficult to implement the Essentials stuff in the CB but I hoped so that I could get my hands on the HotFL stuff this way - because I have no other way to get it before the start of the Season.

Actually, from what I gathered reading about why the update has been pushed back again, it's not so much the Essentials material that's causing the difficulty, but rather implementing the themes for creating Dark Sun characters.

I'm not sure about your situation, but the Heroes of the Fallen Lands should be available on 9/21 everywhere. That's the day before Encounters begins and you should be able to create a character before the game starts. Again, I'm not sure what your situation is, so I don't mean to come off snarky if you're not able to get your hands on HotFL ahead of time.
And even if you can't get it ahead of time, you could play a pregen for one week and then after the Encounter make a character from HotFL. ^^ Only takes about 20-30 minutes.
Okay, I'll see that I cannot make myself understandable. I know all of the things you are telling me (making a character by hand, playing a pregen first). But this isn't my point. It's not so worse, but my shop is nearly always one or two weeks behind the publishing date. I don't know why this is so. So there was no Red Box at the Red Box Game Day. Also I expect that there will be no HotFL at the start of Encounters. Amazon tells me that they will deliver the book at 25.09. if I get it from them. Also after the start of encounters.

It'll be okay but I only hoped that I could play one character from the start to the end (sorry for complaining).

And to make that clear: I have NO problem with making a character from hand. My problem is that I cannot make a HotFL character (yes, yes I can play a pregen Wink).

Thanks for all the answers, wish you all the best
Lars
I'm an in the uniqu situation were I am the orginizer but I am playing this season.  I have to say not being able to get the renown reward the first session is sad.

That my 2 bits.

—Guncici
Okay, I'll see that I cannot make myself understandable. I know all of the things you are telling me (making a character by hand, playing a pregen first). But this isn't my point. It's not so worse, but my shop is nearly always one or two weeks behind the publishing date. I don't know why this is so. So there was no Red Box at the Red Box Game Day. Also I expect that there will be no HotFL at the start of Encounters. Amazon tells me that they will deliver the book at 25.09. if I get it from them. Also after the start of encounters.

It'll be okay but I only hoped that I could play one character from the start to the end (sorry for complaining).

And to make that clear: I have NO problem with making a character from hand. My problem is that I cannot make a HotFL character (yes, yes I can play a pregen ).

Thanks for all the answers, wish you all the best
Lars

I hear you, Lars.  That is frustrating.  Our store sold out of the book, so many players are struggling to make a character before session one, just like you.  One guy has generously volunteered to hold two character workshops.  He brings his copy of the book and folks go around the table making a character.  Man, I think he has helped about 15 people make a character.

WOTC timed it a little too close, I suppose. 

It sounds like you're really excited, so I would cancel your amazon order and buy the book from a book store the day it is released and make a character just in time for session #1.
Sign In to post comments