9/02/2010 TD: "The Pillars"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'll be completely honest...I have played magic since 4th Edition.  I played competitively for 2 years of that time(CHK-TSP).  And I hated it.  I always did well in what I played, mostly FNM which I alway T4'ed, but still not too much fun.  Yet, for some reason as much as I dislike competitive Magic, every Pro Tour gives me a warm fuzzy feeling similar to the Super Bowl.  I don't know why, I just love this aspect of Magic.  I don't even have ambitions to play to play on the PT(mostly due to budgetary contraints) but still, its simply an amazing spectacle, that I love to behold.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I don't see how Amrou Scout Puts Figure of Destiny into play.
What's the new play/draw rule?
What's the new play/draw rule?

The new play/draw rule is that in the Top 8, whoever has the higher rank decides who plays or draws instead of w/e else.

I don't see how Amrou Scout Puts Figure of Destiny into play.

He probably got confused since both are Kithkins, and didn't see it only searches up Rebels.

He probably got confused since both are Kithkins, and didn't see it only searches up Rebels.

Actually, I'd think Amrou Scout is the super-tech for an all-out with Mirror Entity, which is probably what Flores meant.

Why don't they get someone who knows what cards do.

If scapeshift gets a misty rainforest it's tapped so you can't sacrifice it.

If you can make a hoard of hasty pestermite tokens good players don't wait until the end of their opponents turn.

Don't get me started on amrou scout.

At least he mentioned how good and popular Punishing Fire/ Grove of the burnwillows is.

Good play is win more "A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in his own opinions" - Proverbs 18:2
 No mention of Living End, seriously?
Actually, what is the reason behind Amrou Scout in Kithkin?  As near as I can tell, the only things it fetches are the singleton Bound in Silence and more Amrou Scouts.  Is this "combo" really worth five slots in the deck?
Actually, what is the reason behind Amrou Scout in Kithkin?  As near as I can tell, the only things it fetches are the singleton Bound in Silence and more Amrou Scouts.  Is this "combo" really worth five slots in the deck?

Mirror Entity

Is it worth it still? IDK

On top of everything DAVIDW88 said Flores also called a deck with 1 mystical teachings in the entire 75 and no way to search for it a "mystical teachings" deck. Sure there are only 3 nonland cards that you can't play at instant speed in the deck, still doesn't make it a mystical teachings deck.

If it were just 1 or 2 things like this I could understand but 4? And this happens a lot in this column, not just this week.

I appreciate the time and effort that goes into writing these articles and the fact that they're free, but all of that is still no excuse for such sloppyness. None of these cards or their interactions are exactly brand new or difficult to undersand either.
Ok the Misty Rainforest and Splinter Twin mistakes are just ridiculous.  Very basic card interactions that even a novice like me picked up on right away.  The whole point of Splinter Twin is that it gives the token haste!

Otherwise, some good stuff in here.  Losing to either the Hive Mind or Ad Nauseam deck would ruin my day and cause a single tear.

Considering the explosion of decks we're being shown, I don't think I'm really going the gripe so much about easy to make mistakes--plus it IS a free article, written every week so I'm quite greatful for it.

But the Amrou Scout deck won't get anywhere, it just randomly pumps Tarmogoyf's because of it's Tribal type, don't play it anyone!

Like the burning grove/punishing f being so popular, kept my grove's from ages ago so sleeve up time.

Angelic Nauseum looks fun.
The format looks sweet, I just wish the rest of us got to play it instead of just the Pros

(A lot of those decks will disappear with the loss of Time Spiral block)
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*

(A lot of those decks will disappear with the loss of Time Spiral block)

Exactly.

For all the criticism Time Spiral received - and some of it was just - it's pretty much the only reason this format doesn't only have past Standard decks with some modifications in it.

I am glad to see Ad Nauseum/Angel's Grace used. I've been using it for in really bad casual decks since Shards came out, but my combo ending was either saccing a Magus of the Mirror or enchanting a Nether Traitor with Oblivion Crown. It's a fun deck but I never got it together for anything serious. The red acceleration really helps the combo. Mine was more of a control deck that absolutely needed Lotus Bloom early to have a shot at winning.
Yes, the Scouts are there to search for themselves and Mirror Entity.  The usual Kithkin choice of Knight of Meadowgrain seemed as if it might actually be a drawback against Punishing Fire, since without a Grove it still lets your opponent buy back PFire, and the decks that seem to be out there don't seem to race enough that an extra 2 or 4 life will matter, and the first strike and two toughness basically never came up as relevant.  I decided to give Scout a try to give the deck a little bit more late-game grind power, since Scout can act as an army in a box that turns one Scout into multiple attackers, and being able to search out Mirror Entity for an alpha strike won a surprisingly large number of games, so I was happy with the Scouts with that being all they did.

The one Bound in Silence seemed better than the 4th Path, and was largely invisible in the games I've played, but when being able to search out a removal spell mattered, it was huge.

... And no, really, it definitely doesn't get Figure of Destiny.  Still, just doing what it actually does, I liked it for the job of attacking for two.  And think the most important "tech" is probably the Enchant Player card in the sideboard; a surprising number of matchups can be "solved" by taking a Wheel of Sun and Moon and telling the opponent "here, hold this!".
Since Punishing Fire + Grove of the Burnwillows is being run in so so many decks, why doesn't anyone run cards like Faerie's Trickery? Seems like it would put a decent hole in some of those decks' early game plan.
If you copy Careful Consideration with Pyromancer Ascension during your main phase, do you discard four or five cards?

I guess five, but I'm not sure.
If you copy Careful Consideration with Pyromancer Ascension during your main phase, do you discard four or five cards?

I guess five, but I'm not sure.

You guess correctly. The original Consideration has you discard two cards, because it was cast during your main phase. The copy has you discard three, because you didn't cast it during your main phase : you didn't cast it at all! It was just put on the stack.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A