When is the next update due?

160 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't see an update scheduled on the calendar, unless I'm somehow just missing it...

It should be the 21st of september, check the ddi announcement section for details

Joe
Is there some sort of pattern to when it comes out? for the last 3 months it was either on the 1st or the 6th. Is that just because of the the Red Box being released on that day?
Is there some sort of pattern to when it comes out? for the last 3 months it was either on the 1st or the 6th. Is that just because of the the Red Box being released on that day?

The updates are scheduled for release on the 1st Tuesday of every month.  I'm not sure what's induced the delay, though.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yeah that's what I thought too. I want my Dark Sun update! Surprised
So we can't build our Dark Sun characters in the CB until September 21st. Guess I should have just waited to buy the books then.
In all likelyhood, its delayed this month due to the release of Essentials material and WotC wants that material in the CB asap.
Changing from the 7th to the 21st is not a 'delay.'  That is dropping a month from the rotation and compensating by pushing the next month forward some.  Expect the 21st to be 'delayed' as well.
To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)
Yes, extremely bad form to just not post an update and also not say anything about it. I wouldn't mind not having the update (well I mind a little, but am willing to wait for my goodies) but it is very impolite for them not to update the calendar to indicate that there is a delay nor to have said anything in the ampersands or anything (unless I missed it) not very customer service to just leave us hanging and wondering. A simple, "we've put it off until date X so that we can give you better stuff" would be great.
Well that's lousy. 

I had been putting off some character work for two weeks because I figured the CB update was due out today.  And seeing that CB is a core reason for my membership I agree that a simple note about any expected delay would have been nice.
Here's what gets me. We are insiders.  We pay for this, shouldn't we be getting this earlier?!?  And in agreement with above, we should not have to guess why there are no updates.  We should be informed...as we are Dnd  "insiders".  And fyi...looking at the calender,  I do not see where ther is an update on the 21st.
It was actually announced, here in the DDI section of the forums under announcements.

Joe
It was actually announced, here in the DDI section of the forums under announcements.

Joe

Mentioning something on the forums isn't a true announcement.  It should be on the main page.  Took me several Google searches to find this thread.  Most people who subscribe do NOT look at the boards ever.  I have a lot of friends who pay for this and were looking forward to playing Dark Sun.  They're all quite pissed about the delay.

If the builder is unreliable, then there's no reason to continue to pay a subscription fee.  Personally, I think WotC should refund us each 3/4 of the price of a month (Or at least 1/2 a month) to make up for it.  Or just give us another awesome DDi exclusive content thing like Revenant and Assassin are...  Like an Illithid player race.  That'd be awesome!  Or at least, like, racial feats for the goblinoid races or something...  Make them more playable.
I agree an announcement here is not good public service.

It should have been posted on the character builder page on the main site or on the calendar page. Be transparent about when you change user expectations and they will thank you for your upfront honesty rather than. It is a simple thing to put a note on a web page saying updated delayed 2 weeks.

I also had to hunt quite a bit to find the notice here which referred me to the announcement which was not entirely clear to all the readers as to what was exactly postponed in any case.
actually when i noticed my builder didn't ask to update around 10:30pm est time after I started. I came straight to the forums to bitch, saw this thread, read through your post and found my answers. I still want to bitch though. Basically if my update isn't coming until the end of the month (practically), then september might as well be a free month. My reasoning is that in october we can assume there wont be a update on the 1st tuesday of that month. Which probably means the rest of the years updates will most likely be thrown off, it most certainly will stay that way until after the long holiday since i think the same thing happen last year. 
I have no interest in these forums, generally.  I pay my subscription, I take my goodies, and I interact with humans elsewhere, such as at my table. 

It bothers me slightly that my players are going to have to keep using Half-Orc for Thri-Kreen and Dwarf for Mul and pencilling in all the little changes, plus writing out their theme by hand.  I understand that delays happen, and the updates have been pretty good most of the time, so I would have been fine granting them slack even though this comes on the heels of the Ravenloft delay...

But, it bothers me greatly that they didn't make an announcement up front in the Home Page as soon as they knew of the delay.  They post up there every weekday, and this clearly counts as news to a fair number of us.  I consider that bad Customer Service, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
...using Half-Orc for Thri-Kreen and Dwarf for Mul...

I used Goliath for my Thri-Kreen.  The racial skill bonuses matched, and that was the one thing the builder didn't let me houserule.  Here's my sheet.
Guys cut them some slack. They are adding a compendium worth of monsters, a "powers" guide, and a new campaign setting with new things like character themes and everything needs to work together seamlessly. Heck, if this means future updates are closer to the release of future books the I'll gladly put off my Dark Sun campaign for a few weeks. Maybe I'll adapt Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to pass the time.
Guys cut them some slack. They are adding a compendium worth of monsters, a "powers" guide, and a new campaign setting with new things like character themes and everything needs to work together seamlessly. Heck, if this means future updates are closer to the release of future books the I'll gladly put off my Dark Sun campaign for a few weeks. Maybe I'll adapt Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to pass the time.

Well, yeah, they are adding a lot, but its not like its one guy adding it all by hand. The monster entries can be added by script. The powers are the same. The builds and themes have to be done by hand.

BUT THEY HAD A MONTH TO DO THIS.

I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.

"BUT THEY HAD A MONTH TO DO THIS."

Actually, they had longer.  There's no reason why they could not have been working on parts of this prior to the release (say, after the final drafts for the books was approved but before they hit the shelves).

This is honestly ridiculous.  This is my first time in these forums.  Even putting a "mini-update" updating the character generator to show the next update would have been better than this.  As several others have commented, I am in starting out in a Darksun Campaign with my group, and we have been waiting on this freaking program to update.  Sure we can do things by hand, but then why the heck are we paying the monthly fee? The ~4 mini-class updates a month that I vaguely care about in a semi-interested kind of way?

As for "delaying" the update until the 21st... thanks Wizards! My group has been actively checking the calendar (you know, where the "update" date is supposed to be posted?) and running the program to see if it's updated for the last week we were so excited to use your product (both the generator and the Darksun supplements).  What a joke.

This shows at best extremely poor form in how Wizard's evaluates their update schedule, and at best a pretty blatant disregard for that slice of the fanbase that cares enough about content to shell out extra with an Insider membership.

Like I said... what a joke.

here's the announcement

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

they should have put it on the calendar thou...

"OMG, WE'Z GONNA HAF 2 RITE SUTFF DOWN FOR 2 WEKKS!  TEH HORORZ!"

Geez.  Get a grip, people.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Come on Salla this is unfortunately where society is headed.  A bunch of self-entitled  narcissistic
people that bitch, whine and moan when things dont go the way they think it should.  It is after all all about them.
Truthfully, it *is* all about the paying customer.  If the customers withdraw their subscriptions, then it will be Wizards that gripes about not getting the money.
Truthfully, it *is* all about the paying customer.  If the customers withdraw their subscriptions, then it will be Wizards that gripes about not getting the money.

Trust me the vocal minority you see here will not make a huge impact upon WOTC's business model or profits.
Apparently they have along the way... As someone who worked in a game shop before, I know about declining sales for Wizards products at certain points...

Give them a break?  I am still waiting for my online game table that they promised from the start.  Since this is pretty much all I am getting for my subscription, this needs to be done on time.  Really, we should expect weekly updates for what we pay.  How many people does it really take to update the character builder?  I am betting that there is one guy who does it, and I am guessing that he does more than just update the character builder database.

They are making a ton of money off us, and offering very little in return.  Compare that with a MMORPG where they offer entire new zones with rendered graphics and all.  All we want are simple database updates!!!

Come on Salla this is unfortunately where society is headed.  A bunch of self-entitled  narcissistic
people that bitch, whine and moan when things dont go the way they think it should.  It is after all all about them.

We are paying for a service.  If this was a free service done by someone in their free time, then I totally understand your comments.   What if your cell phone service just decided to delay all your phone calls for a few weeks?  Would you complain?  I could make similar comments to Salla. "OMG you have to use a home phone for a few weeks! OMG!"

Since the start we have been let down on promises made with the Insider program.  I think the best solution would be for them to just make this service free.  I used to use the character builder in 3.0 and 3.5 and those were totally free.  Most of the online content has been fairly weak lately.  

They way I see it, the folks behind the Insider program must be laughing all the way to the bank.  They have tons of subscriptions and VERY little overhead.  They are making almost pure profit.

Trust me the vocal minority you see here will not make a huge impact upon WOTC's business model or profits.

I totally agree.  That is why they are laughing all the way to the bank.

I can't wait to play on my online game table that will be out 4 years ago...  But wait they gave that up because supposedly we the gamers wanted them to add other (better) tools for us to use.  Where are they all?!?  I haven't seen a single new tool since they dropped the game table.

Well it is official.  We aren't getting a September update at all.  I expected minimally they would give us a free extra month of service or something, but nope.  Glad to see our subscription money is getting us a lot.
Where did you see that?  The last I saw, they said the 21st...
I got an "Official Broadcast" this morning at 10:45 am from WotC_Trevor
that stated it.

Here it is:

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

D&D Insider Subscriber,

Unfortunately, we will not have a data update ready for the D&D Insider tools in September.  The process of integrating the new changes from Dark Sun and Essentials is taking a bit longer than we expected, and we plan to update the Character Builder in early October.  We will continue to keep you informed of any changes to the schedule, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

The D&DI Team

Aww sadness T_T
Wow I'm completely shocked by this news!  I don't think anyone in the world thought this might happen.... oh wait...

Changing from the 7th to the 21st is not a 'delay.'  That is dropping a month from the rotation and compensating by pushing the next month forward some.  Expect the 21st to be 'delayed' as well.

To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)
Even I they have delayed the update I think we should still be able to get, or at least request, a reset of the download count. 

Due to some computer problems I've had to format my hard-drive and re-install Windows several times. And because I’ve shared the builder with the players in the game I'm running this has left me with-out it. 
That's an issue to take directly to customer service Paul, good luck to you!

On the plus side however, there are far higher-than-we-wish odds that WotC will early in October or even later this month announce that..

"The required infusion of Essentials and Dark Sun materials into the Character Builder program caused unforseen complications with the programming which unfortunately we are unable to resolve at this time.  We wish to continue providing you with the best service possible however, so rather than excluding these products from the Character Builder and provide updates on the other core products we have decided not to update the Character Builder at all until such time as we can provide all current information."

Shortly after the CB will disappear from the D&D website along with any mention of it by WotC staff who (just like the virtual table top) will be instructed to neither confirm nor deny that the Character Builder ever in fact existed.  As such Paul you will not be missing out on anything.
Wink
So, my 2 cents:  I was not surprised by this announcement at all.  I legitimately laughed out loud when I saw the message today in my inbox.  When I was checking the content calendar a week or two ago and couldn't find the release date for the update, I assumed that something was off.  Looking at how the Character Builder was constructed, and how themes work, I figured that might be some challenges, but it should not be that difficult; theoretically, a "theme" should work just like a paragon path or epic destiny from a programming standpoint.  And it shouldn't be too difficult to implement the "primary ability" bonus, because it should be able to automatically select the highest ability score.

HOWEVER...although I, like most of us on these forums, have only seen snippets of Essentials, I suspect that the new structure of class creation is probably causing the largest problem.  Adding new feats/powers/races each month is a piece of cake; the foundation is already there, WoTC just has to fill in the blanks.  Adding the new layer of essentials, where there are class features instead of powers, etc., and which may or may not follow a uniform structure, means that they may have to substantially add components to the program, at best (as opposed to just inserting in new data in a field), or reconfigure the entire thing, at worst.  Should WoTC have thought of this WAY before?  Of course, and maybe WoTC did and their people have been trying to solve this problem for quite some time now.  In any event, it's disappointing; I get that.  So optimistically, we were apparently promised a product by the 21st, and lo and behold, it's going to take more time.  It wouldn't be the first time this has happened in any industry, and it's legitimately frustrating; I understand that.  That being said...

I myself am relatively pleased with the pricing scheme with D&D Insider at the present time:  I can use the Character Builder for everything but the two newest releases (one of which has not actually been released yet), and get access to features that come from the books without having to buy them (even though I buy probably at least half of them).  Is it great?  No, it could be better, and I'd like it to be cheaper.  Would I rather NOT have the Character Builder, save the money I spend each year, and have to create characters with pencil and paper, do my own math (and possibly make a few careless mistakes), and all of that?  Decidedly not.  

Anyhow, I will probably come off as a WoTC apologist, and if that is your take, fine.  I look forward to when the update comes out.  Do I think we deserve an extra month of subscription?  I would like that, but honestly?  Nope.  I don't think an update every single month was ever promised, and while I could be wrong about that, so what?  You pay for the product and to get updates as they come out.  In months where very little new material is released, that's easy.  When there's a lot, it might be more difficult.  If it takes many months, that will be frustrating.  But Dark Sun came out last month, so to expect the CB to have that AND the Essentials info by the 21st?  Well, that was really optimistic, right? 

WITH ALL OF THAT BEING SAID...  I do think Wizards should release the CB update on the same date the product is released.  I suspect that is not being done for sales purposes--why do that and discourage people from buying the book?  (That's the concept, regardless of whether it would ACTUALLY hurt sales).  So...don't hold your breath on that concept.  Because if WoTC folds and discontinues D&D, you're stuck with whatever you've got now plus your homebrew stuff and that's it ... until some other company steps in and does the same exact thing as WoTC.  

One thing that should help with the October update is the relatively light Dragon content that I saw complaints about elsewhere.  I saw a posting elsewhere suggesting that it was the very attempt to add more content (Essentials) to compensate for the delay in the update that caused the delayed deadline to slip as well.  At least for the October date, the only additional content over what was already promised would be one more issue of Dragon -- and as best I can recall nothing in any recent issue presents any coding challenges.

In hindsight, I am wondering whether they might have been better off going into "holiday mode" a month earlier than last year, moving the September and later updates to the 3rd Tuesday of the month but not adding any extra content beyond what would normally be due for a monthly update at those times.  They could then revert to the standard schedule whenever they have a month without any freshly challenging material to code.

Anyway, since I have an annual subscription, I am willing to be patient and take the long view -- but I will not renew it if things remain in their present messed up state when it is up for renewal in January.
I am concerned only because it seems like the rest of the promised products in DDi have fallen to the wayside, indefinitely.  Where is the character visualizer?  How about the Electronic tabletop?  Is there ANY info on those features at all?

On the flip-side, been very happy with character builder, pretty slick program.  I was really looking forward to the table top and visualizer, though.  Not sure if im dissapointed or not.  I'm going to go eat some ice cream.
I am concerned only because it seems like the rest of the promised products in DDi have fallen to the wayside, indefinitely.  Where is the character visualizer?  How about the Electronic tabletop?  Is there ANY info on those features at all?

On the flip-side, been very happy with character builder, pretty slick program.  I was really looking forward to the table top and visualizer, though.  Not sure if im dissapointed or not.  I'm going to go eat some ice cream.

The virtual game table is gone.  We will never see one, period. The folks behind Insider came out and said that we the public don't want one and/or that we want a lot of other tools before the game table.  Do I think they are right?  Hell no.  I play on Fantasy Grounds 2 every week.  
 On top of that, they have released ZERO new tools for us and have only been updating content for the Character Builder, Compendium and Adventure Tools.  In other words, the Insider folks decided that this is all they want to supply us and they would like to charge us the same money anyway.

I agree with others that my subscription is going to end after this year unless they make some major changes.  There has just been too little value add month to month.  I can just pay for a single month every 6 months or so and get a Character Builder update patch and save a bunch of money.
I will agree with King_Snarll that the VTT was expected as part of D&D Insider, and I would really like that.  Using OpenRPG works just fine for our purposes, but a dedicated D&D VTT?  That would really be awesome.  Also, King_Snarll's idea of paying once every so often is a good one (if CB is all you're interested in, and not the articles that come out each month).  The visualizer would have been nice, but...not a huge deal.  The lack of the VTT is really disappointing, but that was scrapped so long ago, it's not like I factored it in anytime recently.