Dragon 391 - Class Acts: Battleminds, The Ghosts of Nerath

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

DnDi_Large.pngDragon 391
Class Acts: Battleminds, The Ghosts of Nerath

by Scott Fitzgerald Gray

The Ghosts of Nerath are among the last remnants of the fallen empire's ancient glory.

Talk about this Article here.

391_ca_battlemind.jpg

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I really hope they plan to correct the at-will and put it in line with all the others, giving it a 1 PP augment option.

Since the effect of the 2 PP augment is quite weak, I would make the 1 PP option with that effect, while giving the 2PP one some total concealment or the ability to use it while adjacent.

As is, the power is practically pigeonholed for reach weapon users. Which are not exactly stealth weapons.
And it also makes the use of Mind Spike nearly impossible.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

I think you read it wrong. It's useless for reach weapon users as the effect ends when you're not adjacent anymore. You have to stay adjacent. And granting everyone concealment (-2 to enemy attack rolls) for (potentially) the duration of the encounter?

I guess I don't play enough, because I don't know why that's not very good.
What's the point of the Invisibility portion of the level 6 Utility? Is it just to get Combat Advantage? If that's the case... why not just have the power directly give you Combat Advantage? Just seems like an unnecessarily roundabout way to accomplish that.
Why would you want a defender to have an attack that makes it less likely for the enemy to want to hit you?
Why would you want a defender to have an attack that makes it less likely for the enemy to want to hit you?

So you can mind spike the crap out of them, of course!

I do hope the at-will gets fleshed out a bit more before the full issue is published, though. I know it's really difficult to build these 3-in-one at-wills, but I just love the nature of the organization this article introduces and it'd be a shame for these plot-driving powers to languish due to missing design.

For the same reason that Half-Elf Paladins with Eye-bite and Hybrid Paladin|Warlocks with Eye-bite are so good.  Forcing the enemy not to attack you gets you continuous use of your punishment mechanic, which properly used can be very damaging.

For the same reason that Half-Elf Paladins with Eye-bite and Hybrid Paladin|Warlocks with Eye-bite are so good.  Forcing the enemy not to attack you gets you continuous use of your punishment mechanic, which properly used can be very damaging.

Also forcing the enemies to attack with a -2 penalty generally means that the party takes fewer hits and thus loses less HP which conserves healing resources.  Unfortunately battlemind is probably the wrong class for such a trick, as their CON primary means they have a lot of healing surges to spare, and so more so than any other defender a battlemind should probably be a "proper" defender.  On the other hand, with the new increased damage that monsters have received since MM3, the battlemind's punishment has become that much more punishing.
I enjoyed the fluff of the article a lot. I think a few people have been grasping at what the key tropes of Battleminds are; this article provides a key example of how the "mystical/focused warrior" archetype fits.

The art is nice but perhaps a little too badassed up. Eyescar + darksword + trenchcoat + messengerbag + long flowing hair? Damn, bro.
I liked the fluff but would have liked more than just three powers and two items. A paragon path really could have fleshed out the concept much more or even just a feat or two. The topic was good but the implimentation was a bit weak for my tastes.

It's a fine article, but it doesn't "feel" Psionic. I could see it fitting better into Arcane or Shadow.

Sign In to post comments