Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks - September, 2010

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of September, 2010.
Am I missing something or is Magic Weekend 2011!!!! just a rebranding of the Pro Tour circuit to let non-qualified people know there's stuff to do?

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Am I missing something or is Magic Weekend 2011!!!! just a rebranding of the Pro Tour circuit to let non-qualified people know there's stuff to do?

That's what it seems like to me.  Not what I was expecting when I clicked the link.

It's not a bad idea to rebrand the events, although "Magic Weekend 2011" is really vague.  It suggests a worldwide event happening on a specific weekend (like Magic Game Day), rather than a touring event that happens across multiple weekends.
I was hoping for more detail when I clicked on an article entitled "The History of the Color Pie". Yes, the basic ideas behind each of the five colors are much the same today as they were with Alpha. But on the detail level of what cards do at the different rarities, there have been changes, which have been discussed elsewhere.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

it's weird that black mana is from "swamps and places of death" but from the very earliest sets on through modern sets, black mana also seems to come from caves. i've never seen any explanation for this, although the creepy darkness certainly fits. there are a ton of underground graves and catacombs, which combine caverns with "places of death," but there are also several pure caves with no death or swamp to be found, some of them pretty important:

caves of koilos
dromar's cavern
subterranean hangar
underground river
waterveil cavern
underground sea

do the other colors have recurring locations that produce mana the way black has caves?
Balance Armageddon and Wrath of God kind of threw White's reputation for "chivalrous war magic" out the window pretty early in the game.
it's weird that black mana is from "swamps and places of death" but from the very earliest sets on through modern sets, black mana also seems to come from caves. i've never seen any explanation for this, although the creepy darkness certainly fits. there are a ton of underground graves and catacombs, which combine caverns with "places of death," but there are also several pure caves with no death or swamp to be found, some of them pretty important:

caves of koilos
dromar's cavern
subterranean hangar
underground river
waterveil cavern
underground sea

do the other colors have recurring locations that produce mana the way black has caves?

Well also most of the cards you listed just happened to be black for flavor reasons

Cave of Koilos- Location of the Phyrexian Portal where Yawgmoth was sealed
Dromar's Cavern- Dromar is a UBW dragon, that's why
Subterranean Hanger- In Mercadia at the time, the Phyrexians had stored their ships in a hanger within the reverse mountain thing
Waterveil Cavern- Not sure, prolly just because the water has magical effects or something

Not sure why groundwater is swampy haha but i guess it's gross enough to count lol
Balance Armageddon and Wrath of God kind of threw White's reputation for "chivalrous war magic" out the window pretty early in the game.

Well Armageddon maybe but the other two were supposed to sound knightly, like Crusade. Lol even though Balance sounds nice... *shudders.
Black-producing lands tend to be concepted as caverns or subterranean because things are dark down there.

It sounds trivial, but I think it's actually accurate. In the same way that Ravnica's Plains were views of the city from the tallest towers, shining with sunlight and sky, the Swamps were the sewers and caves under the city. In some cases there were dark goings-on there, but for the most part I do think it's literally "because it's dark".

(And given the flavour history of the Caves of Koilos, I've never understood why the card has anything to do with white mana.) 

Well Armageddon maybe but the other two were supposed to sound knightly, like Crusade. Lol even though Balance sounds nice... *shudders.

Well, that's what I mean. Chivalry is a code of honor, there's nothing honorable about these cards. It's more "I Call Down Vengeance Upon Thee! Let The Whole World Shudder And Break!" than a knightly contest. What's chivalrous about destroying the world?
Well, that's what I mean. Chivalry is a code of honor, there's nothing honorable about these cards. It's more "I Call Down Vengeance Upon Thee! Let The Whole World Shudder And Break!" than a knightly contest. What's chivalrous about destroying the world?

But it's symmetric world-breaking!  That's fair, right?  See, I'm putting my lands in the graveyard too!  I don't know what your problem is, peasant, it's not my fault you don't have an army handy.

Seems appropriate for a more cynical view of chivalry, actually.
Maybe so. I've always felt that the view of White as the "nice" color was mistaken, however. Guess I'm cynical that way ;)
it doesn't matter if it's from storyline, because the same people who decide on the cards decide on the story. so "phyrexian in a cave, black aligned dragon in a cave" is the same decision as "black land is a cave." the same people make it from the same motivations.

Black-producing lands tend to be concepted as caverns or subterranean because things are dark down there.

It sounds trivial, but I think it's actually accurate. In the same way that Ravnica's Plains were views of the city from the tallest towers, shining with sunlight and sky, the Swamps were the sewers and caves under the city. In some cases there were dark goings-on there, but for the most part I do think it's literally "because it's dark".

(And given the flavour history of the Caves of Koilos, I've never understood why the card has anything to do with white mana.) 

i'm not saying it doesn't make sense, it's just interesting to me that it's like the unsaid "other swamp." i've never seen an article mention it or anything. other colors have recurring themes but they make sense (red lands often involve fire or heat somehow, with or without a mountain, and that's not much of a stretch).

caves of koilos, at least based on the picture, is a cave in a desert. it's never been explicitly stated either but deserts do share characteristics with plains (abundant access to the sun, generally flat terrain) so it makes sense for those reasons.
Sure, it hasn't been EXPLICITLY stated, but desert=plains is no secret.

Also, what was with that big wheel in the arcana link window thing? I wanted to see that big wheel. ...Who made it? What does it say? What's with the arrows? I actually got a little excited when I saw it.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Sure, it hasn't been EXPLICITLY stated, but desert=plains is no secret.

the problem is that the most famous desert isn't a plains, nor does it produce white mana. but i agree it's pretty established. white also gets mana from cities, settlements, and other "man" made structures, and red does too, usually if those structures have some connection to war: battlefield forge and sacred foundry get their red from the fire, obviously, but the only connection to white is the man-made/civilization element (and both colors are tied to war). both the cave and city connection to black and white, respectively, make flavoring barry's land as a cave or city awkward. what type of land has never actually been established as a particular color or colors?
oh man! That guys soul sister's deck is soooo tech! +1 Plains! -1 O-Ring! Sweet! Totally fixed the deck!
(in case you couldn't tell, and there are people out there who can't, I am being sarcastic. That is possibly the stupidest change to a tuned deck that I have ever seen. Probably did it so he can claim to be "innovative")
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
532_3_booster.jpg200px-Kris_Allen_in_New_York_City.jpg
the first booster, this one:

Was enough for me to go w00t. I always loved the art of Etched Oracle, so I'm glad to see this style again, even if the image belongs to a crappy common.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I guess that's Koth's art? Looks a little disappointing, but I bet the card itself will look better.

Jesus christ, the World of Mirrodin preview site is laggy as hell.

Jesus christ, the World of Mirrodin preview site is laggy as hell.

I'm glad to know that it's not only with me.
I expected to see a visual spoiler, you know. Or perhaps there is one and I couldn't find it because of th huge lag.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I expected to see a visual spoiler, you know. Or perhaps there is one and I couldn't find it because of th huge lag.

Here's the traditional product page for Scars of Mirrodin, with a visual spoiler:
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/Products.aspx?...

Here's the traditional product page for Scars of Mirrodin, with a visual spoiler:

Thanks! We were supposed to be able to find that on our own how?

Thanks! We were supposed to be able to find that on our own how?

We're not. Ever since the site re-design, you have to wait for some author to point it out in their article in order to find it. They apparently have some sort of self-destructive habit of making their promotional guides hard to access. 

And I don't know what that animated mess is supposed to be, I gave it five seconds then switched it off. I'll wait for some other brave/crazy soul to summarize it in a post.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

I tried quoting your post to see who this particular person is, but doesn't show the image tag in the box, just the image. Care to enlighten the rest of us? 

thanks 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I tried quoting your post to see who this particular person is, but doesn't show the image tag in the box, just the image. Care to enlighten the rest of us? 

thanks 

The real-life doppelganger is Kris Allen, the winner of American Idol season 8.

Protip: if you right click an image and go to Properties, you can see the name of the file. [/themoreyouknow]
If you want to see Venser's real Doppleganger, look no further than Lost actor Ian Somerhalder.

ImageShack, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting, photo image hosting site, video hosting siteian-somerhalder-20060821-153618.jpg

Eerie, huh?

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
-m.d.gainty

Thank you. very, very much.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

thanks 

The real-life doppelganger is Kris Allen, the winner of American Idol season 8.

Protip: if you right click an image and go to Properties, you can see the name of the file. [/themoreyouknow]

Thanks. I realized that after I posted, but at least now I'll save anybody else the trouble of checking.

Are people still watching that show? 
Ah !!!! Finally, Knight Exemplar. Now all that's left is the Lich...
Belz... The Onmyouza Theatre, An unofficial international fanclub forum dedicated to the Japanese visual kei heavy metal band Onmyo-Za: http://www.onmyozatheatre.com
Ah !!!! Finally, Knight Exemplar. Now all that's left is the Lich...

Man, you are picky. They made the wallpaper you want, just be happy.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
There's no novel preview in the Scars fat pack? I was expecting a Tezzeret novel supplement, like how Chapter 2 of the Zendikar novel was in the RoE fatty. First they go from putting the novel in to just one chapter, now it's out altogether. Lame.
There's no novel preview in the Scars fat pack? I was expecting a Tezzeret novel supplement, like how Chapter 2 of the Zendikar novel was in the RoE fatty. First they go from putting the novel in to just one chapter, now it's out altogether. Lame.

I noticed that, but I long ago gave up on the novels so it didn't really concern me. Kinda wish they would put *something* else in there to help justify the price. 

I came here to say pretty much the same thing.

~ Tim
p.s. I cant even get Test of Metal in the UK yet...

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Fat packs are getting harder and harder to sell. That and the minimal profit margin(albiet this may be a supplier issue) doesn't seem to be worth stocking them any more.
Thats a nifty little combo in todays deck!
Lack of an emblem card for Koth of the Hammer really surprises me. I don't have a good feeling about that.
I rather like most of those tokens. But... "That looks like a golem that gets created by the Precursor Golem"? No, no it doesn't. The Precursor Golem looks solemn, serene, otherworldly, above the cares of recent times. That Golem token, lava-covered and screaming, looks like an angsty teenage warlock's first creation.

I'm all for the Poison Counter token. I really like the style of that one. I'm curious why no emblems, though. There are 3 emblem-making planeswalkers in the set, and no emblem tokens?
I like most of the tokens.  I don't really like the myr token much though.  It only looks like a myr in general shape, the other qualities of it don't really match the myr.  It looks like it has a wrinkly skin and the head doesn't match the image of most of the other myr in the set.  I suppose that since you get myr tokens from other sources that it needed to be a combination of what a myr would look like from all those sources.

I agree with alextfish on the Golem token.  Doesn't look anything like the Golems in the art of Precursor Golem (which clearly shows a total of 3).

While I like the art for the poison "counter" card.  I do not believe that cards are a very good representation of counters, they take up too much room on a table when you already have a bunch of cards out.  Personally, dice or pennies show poison better.  I can already see me asking an opponent how many poison counters they have because they put them in a stack.  With dice, you know exactly how many poison counters they have without asking.

Maybe a special 10 sided poison counter die should have been in the fat pack or intro packs for this set.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Lack of an emblem card for Koth of the Hammer really surprises me. I don't have a good feeling about that.

IIRC, didnt Del Laugel say there were no plans to make Emblem cards?

I wish they would, but if they wont... what about 3-dimensional Emblems, about the size of a poker chip?

Re: Poison Counter: I LOVE it. I will use one (per player), with a D10 on it to keep track of the number of counters. Cant wait to start using Poison!

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments