The Chauffeur - Bull Rush Hilarity

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Updated:  Thanks for the reminder about Thundering Bull Rush.  Now the build drives twice the number of people around!
A build optimized towards a concept built purely for fun while seeing what Bull Rush can do these days, with all those feats for it floating around.  So I present to you the Chauffeur, aka Fetch!  All starting at level 16.

The Chauffeur aka Fetch
Chauffeur, level 16
Elf, Druid
Primal Aspect: Primal Predator
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 12, Dex 22, Int 9, Wis 22, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 30 Fort: 24 Reflex: 28 Will: 28
HP: 99 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +21, Heal +19, Insight +19, Perception +21, Acrobatics +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +8, History +7, Intimidate +8, Religion +7, Stealth +13, Streetwise +8, Thievery +13, Athletics +11

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Monastic Disciple
Level 2: Monkey's Rush
Level 4: Wild Bull Rush
Level 6: Fluid Motion
Level 8: Versatile Expertise
Level 10: Agile Form (retrained to Pouncing Form at Level 11)
Level 11: Driving Rain
Level 12: Quick Wild Shape
Level 14: Thundering Bull Rush
Level 16: Predator's Burst

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Savage Rend
Druid at-will 1: Grasping Tide (Druid)
Druid at-will 1: Swarming Locusts
Monastic Disciple: Centered Flurry of Blows
Druid encounter 1: Thorn Spray
Druid daily 1: Summon Giant Toad
Druid utility 2: Fleet Pursuit
Druid encounter 3: Predator's Flurry
Druid daily 5: Vine Serpents
Druid utility 6: Black Harbinger
Druid encounter 7: Latch On
Druid daily 9: Wall of Thorns
Druid utility 10: Feywild Sojourn
Druid encounter 13: Claws of Retribution (replaces Thorn Spray)
Druid daily 15: Primal Crocodile (replaces Summon Giant Toad)
Druid utility 16: Darting Viper

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Temblor Mace +3, Magic Ki Focus +3, Gauntlets of the Ram (heroic tier), Girdle of the Oxen (heroic tier), Hunting Beast Earthhide Armor +3, Casque of Tactics (heroic tier), Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Staff of the Serpent +4, Badge of the Berserker +3, Bracers of Brachiation (paragon tier), Fleet Hero Tattoo (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Animal Messenger

Speed(Base 7):
+2 (Fluid Form)
+2 (Predator's Burst on a Charge)
+6 (Fleet Pursuit)
+1 (Predator Druid)
= 18 Speed on a Charge

Push Adds:
+1 (Girdle of the Oxen)
+1 (Rushing Cleats)
+1 (Gauntlets of the Ram)

Bull Rush modifiers:
+8 (Half-level Bonus)
+2 (14 Strength)
+1 (Charge)
+2 (Proficiency - Temblor Mace)
+3 (Enhancement - Temblor Mace)
+3 (Feat - Ki Focus Enhancement)
+2 (Item - Rushing Cleats)

Yes, the Temblor Mace is merged into the Wild Shape due to the wording of Wild Shape.  Why?  Wild Shape states that implements you can use are the exception to held items not dropping, but merging with your form.  The Monk MC gives you access to monk implements, meaning Ki Focuses and Weapons you are Proficient with.  Hence, the Temblor Mace the Druid is proficient with gets merged into the Wild Shape form and its properties still work.

Charging Bull Rush at Level 16 in Beast Form with Fleet Pursuit activated:
Target: One or Two creatures adjacent to you.
+21 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Slide the target 21 squares, then shift into a square adjacent to either target

The result is a Bull Rush for 21 squares sliding the enemy where you will on a Charge.  So if you start an encounter that far away, the Druid can be the "Good Dog" on the very first turn by using Fleet Pursuit(Minor), Wild Shape(Minor), go into a Charging Bull Rush(Speed 18 + Shift 6 on Wild Shape) into a target, slide the victim 21 squares back to the rest of the party, then return himself safe and sound.  No matter the size of the target.  Now he can possibly retrieve two such creatures in one go, or nab one for retrieving and drive the other one off 21 squares.

Alternatives:
The Kidnapper: Using a similar build as the above, you can go as a Hybrid Druid|Rogue instead of just Druid to grab Hybrid Talent (Rogue Tactics: Cunning Sneak).  That way, you can walk up to a person hidden, then carry them away in such haste that everyone else nearby will be wasting time trying to figure out what just happened and who went missing.

From Jay_Ibero_911
Invisible Chauffeur: Start as a cunning sneak rogue and use traveller's harlequin PP to get the necessary MC's. Assassin+Warlock to get shadow walk, Monk for Driving Rain feat. Directed Bull Rush from PHB3 has same effect as monkey's rush but without needing wild shape. Though you could still MC druid for wild bull rush and thundering bull rush to slide two adjacent creatrures a large distance at once. Depending on what level you start at, you could be a human and pick up ruthless ruffian as a second tactic in epic to make use of a temblor mace effectively, or you could be a dwarf (or revenant dwarf) with tunnel stalker or Lethal Hammer Training to use a temblor hammer.

Now what to do with this insane build each round in that encounter?

Vine Serpents Zone, sliding a critter in and out of the zone ~10 times for 11 damage each time.  110 damage each round can be a funny thing.

Wall of Thorns, sliding a foe through 5 squares of this wall leads too...1d10+12 damage each square.  Sadly, each square does cost 4 squares of movement total but dealing out 5d10+60 damage and ongoing 5 damage(Save Ends) is a nice alternative.

Primal Crocidile just to drag and grab one elusive foe to prevent from escaping.

Any other debilitating zone your allies may have ready.

Chaffeuring, Bull Rush your ally for a very speedy retreat for two.  For three if someone decides to use you as a mount to also get away, as you are technically a Medium sized creature.

Fetching, go out and grab that annoying enemy at range and drag him back into the party.  Nothing can really escape you now, much to your DMs heartbreak for his reoccuring characters who have to make a break for it on foot rather then portals/teleports of extreme range.

Thunderwave Staff, pull out one of these instead of your Staff of Ruin before you Wild Shape.  Now, you knock the target prone and deal 21d6 or 21d8 depending on what level of the staff you buy.

Comments, or an alternative that makes Bull Rush send creatures further?  Maybe a Hybrid Druid|Monk may have a chance, leaving things open for another MC.  Shame the costs on gear just to keep up the effect through the levels.  Though going Monk MC Fighter (Or Fighter MC Monk) might make for a nearly impossible to miss Bull Rush with an interesting effect, either I or someone else may have to take a look.  Just didn't go that route with this build, due to trying to ramp up the speed and distance.

The result is a Bull Rush for 21 squares sliding the enemy where you will on a Charge.  So if you start an encounter that far away, the Druid can be the "Good Dog" on the very first turn by using Fleet Pursuit(Minor), Wild Shape(Minor), go into a Charging Bull Rush(Speed 21) into a target, slide the victim 21 squares back to the rest of the party, then return himself safe and sound.  No matter the size of the target.

Let me be the first to say: "That is awesome!"

And let me be the second.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Which item is the one that allows your Bull Rush distance to = speed?  Your "push mods" only lists +3.

ah, I see, Driving Rain from PsP
I thought the wording on the Monk MC is that you only get Ki Focuses, not "all proficient weapons" as implements.
I like.
"In addition, you can wield monk implements when using monk powers and monk paragon path powers."

Implement: Ki focuses, weapons with which you're proficient
I thought the wording on the Monk MC is that you only get Ki Focuses, not "all proficient weapons" as implements.

Dielzen beat me to it, but its the Assassin MC that limits it to just Ki Foci unlike the Monk MC.

I know its wrong of me, but I'm still laughing at the equivalent imagery of essentially a Gorilla grabbing the quarterback with the football, running 35 yards, and spiking both the ball and the player into the endzone.  (Spiking part done by a swap of Wall of Thorns for Primal Wolf)
Or it would be for TV lovers the Pet Commercials where the dog chases after the stick, and brings back an uprooted tree.
I just pictured a bigass bear running ridiculously fast, with some benny hill music playing in the background.

I'm pretty sure my DM would kill me if I tried this, but that doesn't change how incredibly awesome it is. Keep two of these ninja bears around as riding animals, and they can bullrush eachother along at a steady pace of 42 squares a round. Given that squares are 5 feet wide, and a round is 6 seconds, that comes out to about 40kph...not too bad...
"In addition, you can wield monk implements when using monk powers and monk paragon path powers."

Er does this mean that he can only use it on MONK powers....
so he an't use monk impliments(any weapon you proficient in) on his druid powers?

would he have to hybrid to get this to actually work?
so he an't use monk impliments(any weapon you proficient in) on his druid powers?

He's not actually using an implement to make the attack.  It's a bull rush.

To use druid powers, all he has to do is carry a second implement.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
I just pictured a bigass bear running ridiculously fast, with some benny hill music playing in the background.

I'm pretty sure my DM would kill me if I tried this, but that doesn't change how incredibly awesome it is. Keep two of these ninja bears around as riding animals, and they can bullrush eachother along at a steady pace of 42 squares a round. Given that squares are 5 feet wide, and a round is 6 seconds, that comes out to about 40kph...not too bad...

42 squares a round with just the Standard Actions.  Have one of these ninja bears Move their speed(18) in the direction they want to go, then ready his action for a Bull Rush when he gets Bull Rushed.  That way number 2 charges in, goes for the shove, and gets shoved in return.  Total distance a round?  78 squares.  Thats 71 kph or 44 mph as the ninja bears tussle down the trail...heh, the random DM may have the pair fly by the party for the lulz of it all.

He's not actually using an implement to make the attack.  It's a bull rush.

To use druid powers, all he has to do is carry a second implement.

Bingo.  The need for a Druid implement may change with the Essentials changes, but it still works pre-Essentials as well with a Staff or Totem in the off-hand before Wild Shaping if one wants to use Druid powers.

Currently yes, however that is changing with the release of Essentials. You will be able to use any implement you are proficient with for any implement power you posses.

Further inspection, going a Hybrid Druid|Rogue with the Hybrid Talent in Rogue Tactics: Cunning Sneak can provide some more hilarity at the cost of actual combat capability and one bit of speed.  All you need is a pair of Phantom Chaussures, and then you can literally walk up to somebody hidden, then snatch that person away and duck around a corner or three to leave everthing around confused of what just happened.
I like the idea of the invisible chauffeur.....Start as a cunning sneak rogue and use traveller's harlequin PP to get the necessary MC's. Assassin+Warlock to get shadow walk, Monk for Driving Rain feat. Directed Bull Rush from PHB3 has same effect as monkey's rush but without needing wild shape. Though you could still MC druid for wild bull rush and thundering bull rush to slide two adjacent creatrures a large distance at once. Depending on what level you start at, you could be a human and pick up ruthless ruffian as a second tactic in epic to make use of a temblor mace effectively, or you could be a dwarf (or revenant dwarf) with tunnel stalker or Lethal Hammer Training to use a temblor hammer.
...thundering bull rush...

Yes!  Thank you, I was trying to remember what that feat was called.  Now the build can send two creatures flying 21 squares where he wills.
@ WOLead:
Nice use of prepared actions! I could definitively see some DM's finding a couple of bears bull rushing eachother past the battlefield in the middle of an encounter hillarious....

Is it possible to bull rush somebody up into the air vertically? If so, you could play volleyball with them by using an action point....a lenient dm would let you smack them up and down again for a fall damage equivalent to 42 squares or 21d10....that is, _if_ you can do a vertical bull rush...

Also, props for the invisible fetch....since it's essentially the best kidnapper ever, it made me think of pedo-bear...
Is it possible to bull rush somebody up into the air vertically?

Sadly, only a target that is currently flying but they have a habit of staying in the air.  Nor is there a Polearm Momentum to knock 'em prone after sliding them so high into the air.

On the other hand, combine with the Level 9 Primal Wolf Daily...well depends on whether Bull Rush counts as a Melee Attack or not combined if the target is flying.  Eh, too many ifs to get that to work.

Hmm pushing 2 melee opponents 21 squares away seems like some interesting control to me.
Hmm pushing 2 melee opponents 21 squares away seems like some interesting control to me.

It's even better than that, because of directed bull rush/monkey's rush it's a slide instead of push, so you can put them pretty much wherever you want.
Cascading Rush adds in two more enemies, but only pushed, and only 1+ push mods.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
It's this kind of builds that make me absolutely love the CO Boards.
Worth noting... if one of the bears has the feat that lets them continue to act after they charge (I'm *pretty* sure there is one.  Fighter, maybe?) then you can use both move actions.

start point.  Both adjacent.  Bear 1's turn next.
Bear 1 moves his full move and holds action to charge Bear 2 as soon as he finishes moving away.
Bear 2 (who can continue to act after charging) charges bear 1, throwing them both along the trail, then makes his full move.
Bear 1 triggers his held action, charging Bear 2, sending them both hurtling along the trail.
Now at start point again.

Other thought: you start out by default wildshaping into a medium creature, and thus cannot have someone riding you.  Note that if you take the right ED (I believe it's an ED.  I might be misremembering, in which case it's just a PP), you wind up able to wild shift into a Large creature, which means that you *can* have a rider.

So... is there anything the riders could do to accelerate the bears even further?  If nothing else, you could have lazylords with Knight's Move and/or kobold Evermeet Warlocks with Traveller's Staves loaded down with teleport-boosters.  Sadly, I don't know of any at-will ways to grant charges.

so now it looks something like this:
- Start out adjacent.  Bear # 2 is holding action to charge when Bear #1 moves away.  Kobold is riding on Bear #2.
- Bear #1 moves away.  At the end of his move, bear #2's charge resolves.  Bear #1 holds charge for end of kobold's turn
- Kobold teleports 3 times (move for shift, standard->move for shift, minor for shift with racial, staff making each of these a teleport) dragging Bear #2 along with him each time, making sure to stop just within charge range of bear #1
- At end of kobold's turn, Bear #1's charge resolves, sending them hurtling down the track again.
- Bear #2 ignores his move action altogether and readies a charge for when Bear #1 moves away.
Now at start point again.

Iis there any way to have opportunity attacks trigger bull rushes?

Alternately, you might be able to take a leaf from the Ninja Guildmaster book and play around with sharing shifts using that ED (Dispossessed Champion?)

A bunch of half-finished thoughts, but I suspect that some of them could be useful.

Side note: I love the fact that the fastest thing in the world might well be two epic bears wrestling.

Also, the official rule on push/pull/slide is that you can only move an enemy along planes that they naturally move already.  If they're flying, you can push in full 3D, but if they're landbound, you have to stick to the plane.
So, if you could give an enemy the ability to move vertically for one turn, you could bull rush him into the sky?

Also, I love how you optimized the ninja-bears movement. But the fact that we can now bull rush 2 creatures means that suddenly we need 3 bears parttaking in this excercise....not sure how exactly they would do this, though.

There's also the option of having some of the bears able to mount the others, thus potentially increasing the number of bears to 5...I believe there's a feat that lets you mount or dismount as a minor action.....you'd have to be clever to use this better than lazylords or...kobolds? tho =P
Opportunistic shove lets you bull rush on OAs.

Cascading Rush could still be of use. With Thundering Bull Rush, you get 2 targets, so you slide one and push the other, making sure the pushed one either starts or ends adjacent to another target. So you slide one enemy full distance, push another enemy, and that one pushes another enemy 1+push mods.
I don't think Cascading Rush would be so limited.  Although it does say "Whenever you push a target with bull rush..." I think that just because we are sliding instead doesn't limit the use of the feat.  Even if it did, you have the option to apply Cascading Rush before or after bull rush is resolved, so you could push someone who was adjacent to the target before you push your target, and then change the push on the initial target to a shift, and continue as normal.

So if you bull rush, and get two targets, you can push one target that is adjacent to each of them, for a total of moving 4 targets.  Technically, if both your original targets were adjacent to each other, you could use cascading rush to add the extra push to each of those original targets, if push is what you were going to do anyway.  That'd be an extra 4 squares per target on the current build.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Although elf is an awesome race for this you could try with Razorclaw shifter.  If the first round involved a bloodfury weapon, activating the racial and then some ranged attack followed the next round by stowing it (assuming no free action tricks) and then shifting and charging you could net another +1 to speed.
New trick: Directed Bull Rush+Bard MC+Walk Among the Fey=Punt your bull rush targets through dimensions! Walk Among the Fey lets you teleport instead of slide.

Another amusing thought is that with bull rush updated in RC, it's a power with a target of 1 creature, so you can technically bull rush yourself and punch YOURSELF through dimensions.

With Driving Rain and a staff of the traveller, you can teleport yourself next to your target as well instead of shifting.
Wait, someone already made this? Damn! I was cooking up a Driving Rain Druid build rather similar to this one just a few days ago. And here I thought I was being original.

Oh well. Nothing new under the cliché, after all. At least I can poach some stuff from here. Cool tricks all around.

Out of curiosity, is there anything that a thri-kreen can do better than an elf in a build like this? They've got most of the same essential parts (7 speed, +WIS/DEX) . . . and I kind of hate elves. Refluffing is on the table, but if you don't have to, that's always better, right? That said, are thri-kreen just the poor man's elves, or is there anything in this sort of build that they can actually do better?