SCARS

360 posts / 0 new
Last post
So were only a few weeks away from Scars being released now and the spoilers have already started to drop. Thought i'd take the liberty of creating this thread to discuss everything post rotation. A couple of questions I have already are: Do you guys think Pyro's Ascension can survive without Timewarp? And how do you rate Memoricide? Will it see more play then Thought Hemorrhage did on account of it being easier to splash for?
Looking at the spoiled stuff, if this is legit, my initial reactions:
Lifegain, silly counter deck, mill, aggro/control.

(using GatheringMagic, by the way.)

I'm actually a lot more excited than I sound.

The Sword, especially. I can see it fitting in monowhite control somehow. Jam it onto Iona, now she's pretty much immune to bounce, flyer removal, and whatever color you named that would've locked the opponent out of their removal...

Don't ask me how it'll work. It's magic, I don't have to explain anything!
If we get the transient facts, then we'll feel the Info-High!
Looking at the spoiled stuff, if this is legit, my initial reactions:
Lifegain, silly counter deck, mill, aggro/control.

(using GatheringMagic, by the way.)

I'm actually a lot more excited than I sound.

The Sword, especially. I can see it fitting in monowhite control somehow. Jam it onto Iona, now she's pretty much immune to bounce, flyer removal, and whatever color you named that would've locked the opponent out of their removal...

Don't ask me how it'll work. It's magic, I don't have to explain anything!

We're talking about a total of 3 spoiled cards so far. Nothing really to speculate on until a few weeks from now.

Photobucket
C'mon Razor there's always room for speculation. In a few weeks from now the set will have dropped!! I just thought i'd start early and 4 cards is still 4 cards to discuss. I've seen entire threads dedicated to discussing just one card!!!

So give us your thoughts on what we have

For what its worth here's what I think.

Cat Knight..seems solid all on its own. 2/2 flying for 3 cmc seems good and just gets better wih its citp ability seems a no brainer for the pridemate decks struggling to get off the ground at the mo

Memoricide is an easier to play hemorrhage and will defo at least see SB play.

Really don't know how to evaluate the clasp......help guys!!!

Sword has been discussed plenty and looks like it should be really strong.
contagion clasp is really good

or, well, proliferate is.
contagion clasp is really good

or, well, proliferate is.

yeah... clasp by itself is garbage
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
yeah at first I thought it doubled the counters

it's definately good though, in draft with all the wither/poison

It's that kind of baseless speculation that makes these threads pointless. Proliferate could be great of terrible, and it entirely depends on other factors, mainly casting cost and the power level of the cards it appears on.

For all you know, it could be allies 2.0.

Photobucket

It's that kind of baseless speculation that makes these threads pointless. Proliferate could be great of terrible, and it entirely depends on other factors, mainly casting cost and the power level of the cards it appears on.

Clasp is likely good for limited.

Keening Stone
Contagion Clasp

It's a less good version of Keening Stone if your opponent has a poison counter. If Modular Comes back, it's BA-NANAS!

Additionally, if Modular is back, then Hexmage = auto 4 of.... just saying.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

Clasp is likely good for limited.

Keening Stone
Contagion Clasp

It's a less good version of Keening Stone if your opponent has a poison counter. If Modular Comes back, it's BA-NANAS!

Additionally, if Modular is back, then Hexmage = auto 4 of.... just saying.

Modular won't come back, and if it does, it will be very nrefed. No, Wizards will probably just use a bunch of counter maipulation in an effort to push infect and just end up breaking sunburst. Yay.

As to the Kemba cat thing, I have been pondering a card in M11, Knight Exemplar and wondering as to why they made it. Then I read an article where they talked about how they're trying to include cards in core sets to help boost the new block when it comes out, using Vampire Nocturnus and Steel overseer as examples. This leads me to wonder if Knights are finally going to get a good tribal theme in Scars Block.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Proliferate Mechanic makes lich a little more playable IMO.
I Agree with Indigo IMAGE(http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/Bigbadmamajama/noheroescopy.jpg) ^^ WIP atm, if you can name the song its from, I will love you forever. That is me

A couple of Allies are REALLY good... not sure what you're trying to say here.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Huh? Why would you want 2 Phylactery counters on the same artifact?

Kinda senseless. He gets better if there's darksteel stuff, though.

An army of squirrels is still an army. pmppost.png

This.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.

This.

This and this.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
I'm looking forward to actually being able to draft Scars on MODO cause I probably just went infinite... if you're actually interested in why, shoot me a PM. Awesome back-to-back P1P1/P2P1

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Archetypes that will die:
Jund- Pretty obvious, loses BBE, Thrinax, leech, terminate, blightning, pulse, and savage lands.
Mythic Consciption- Loses soverigns, hierarch, kotr, and elspeth.
Polymorph- Loses polymorph.

Archetypes that may survive with help:
RDW- Loses a lot but keeps a lot, depends what scars gives it.
PyroAscencion- Loses time warp, but keeps the core of the deck together. It would only take another time warp-esque card or something abusable to keep it playable.

Archetypes that stay in it:
Naya Utility-Fauna shaman and vengvine stay.
U/W Control-Loses almost nothing.
Valakut Ramp decks- Loses almost nothing.
Eldrazi Ramp decks- Loses almost nothing. 

On the fence stuff that might die or become better:
Vampires- Loses nocturnus which is huge, but loses nothing else. Has a chance at getting something good in scars.
WW- Soul Sisters is good, but loses soul warden and elspeth. With leonin returning a few solid creatures could push the archetype. Losses include Knight of the White Orchid, and the big one Path to Exile.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!

Vampires- Loses nocturnus which is huge, but loses nothing else. Has a chance at getting something good in scars.
WW- Soul Sisters is good, but loses soul warden and elspeth. With leonin returning a few solid creatures could push the archetype. Losses include Knight of the White Orchid, and the big one Path to Exile.

They have confirmed that there will be more vampires in Scars, and Captivating Vampire will do fine. It's nothing compared to Nocturnus, but it's still a fine lord, though I wish it had a better second ability. The only way that ability could become viable is if there was some Vampire token gen in Scars.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:

They have confirmed that there will be more vampires in Scars, and Captivating Vampire will do fine. It's nothing compared to Nocturnus, but it's still a fine lord, though I wish it had a better second ability. The only way that ability could become viable is if there was some Vampire token gen in Scars.

or you just play out a bunch of vampires and steal VV's and other creatures in the creature v. creature matchups.  its ability is fine as is.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

or you just play out a bunch of vampires and steal VV's and other creatures in the creature v. creature matchups.  its ability is fine as is.

Agreed. It's a niche ability meant to give you an edge against the aggro matchup, not some sort of generic "this is always good" ability. Vamps already has decent matchups against control decks, so the "steal" ability is solid without being broken.

Photobucket
what's the website everyone is using to get the info on the 4 spoiled cards?

well, this one always works for me , but www.gatheringmagic.com is where I go for to the minute spoilers.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:

well, this one always works for me , but www.gatheringmagic.com is where I go for to the minute spoilers.

...and to-the-minute fakes. Seriously, I looked at those forums and they are swamped with bullsh!t speculation.

Photobucket
I hate the talk of post rotation decks, rotation proof... fine, but post rotation, not so much

I can say that mana bases are NOT a problem, with or without tri-lands. If Savage Lands was so important, then Jungle Shrine and Arcane Sanctuary would see more play in their respective 3 color decks... they don't.

Jund - Savage Lands = Jund

That being said, the loss of the Cascade Mechanic will cost dramatic shifts in a number of decks.

Infect makes Knight Exemplar HORRIBLE.

I can say that mono-green decks are almost entirely rotation proof, as most of the cards that are highly playable come from the Zendikar block.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

That being said, the loss of the Cascade Mechanic will cost dramatic shifts in a number of decks.

I can say that mono-green decks are almost entirely rotation proof, as most of the cards that are highly playable come from the Zendikar block.

1. Agreed, though it won't necessarily slow decks down, considering we have dark-ritual-on-a-stick a.k.a Lotus Cobra along with fetches.

2. Pure Speculation. Infect might never see constructed play, and Examplar might never get off the ground in the first place.

3. Rotation-proof? Sure. But they aren't that powerful to begin with, considering the lack of sweeper recovery or creature removal.

Photobucket

So far, we've not seen much, expect a danger that it'll end up like shadowmoor.....
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

1. Agreed, though it won't necessarily slow decks down, considering we have dark-ritual-on-a-stick a.k.a Lotus Cobra along with fetches.

2. Pure Speculation. Infect might never see constructed play, and Examplar might never get off the ground in the first place.

3. Rotation-proof? Sure. But they aren't that powerful to begin with, considering the lack of sweeper recovery or creature removal.

1. Covered
2. Re-visit
3. Make no mistake, they are quite powerful. Not just the odd deck that top 8ed US Nationals either, green has a lot going for it right now... as a stand-alone or Green/X build... it can beat face.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

So far, we've not seen much, expect a danger that it'll end up like shadowmoor.....

I wasn't playing when shadowmoor was around. Not good I take it? What is it exactly that we'd like to avoid?

I wasn't playing when shadowmoor was around. Not good I take it? What is it exactly that we'd like to avoid?

the wither mechanic i guess

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Wither just didn't get enough support to become a major force in constructed play.

Photobucket
i just really hope that poison doesn't become a big deal.... only a little deal

Photobucket

i just really hope that poison doesn't become a big deal.... only a little deal

My guess is they'll add in a bunch of support for infect through counter manipulation, and just end up breaking sunburst instead.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Since MaRo is in love with poison I can't see him not giving it enough support to at least reach tier 2 for a time. I doubt it will ever be tier 1 though.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Since MaRo is in love with poison I can't see him not giving it enough support to at least reach tier 2 for a time. I doubt it will ever be tier 1 though.

Rosewater is a designer, not a developer. He simply creates the keywords, the flavor, and the general outlines of each card. Their ultimate power level is decided by the developers. No matter how much MaRo considers poison his "pet" ability, it's going to go through the grinder in development by dozens of other people.

Honestly, I beleive that Infect is going to be undersupported, at least until the block is complete.

Photobucket
Most effects are just generally under powered aren't they?  I've only been playing since the last set in Alara Reborn, so I've only been around for 1 yr in magic.  But I've noticed that things really don't carry over from block to block.  Like Zendikar had allies and stuff, and worldwake (maybe had a few, don't remember) and rise didn't.  Rise had levelers and they seem sorta eh, unless you get like a mythic one that only cost one to level.  Not really competitive against a good deck. 

I mean, if they actually made a mechanic that would be supported all the way through and then some, it'd make it so people could be a little more liberal in their deck creations, and add some flavor to the list of decks being played.  Make it more interesting, and more of a challenge.
Most effects are just generally under powered aren't they?  I've only been playing since the last set in Alara block, so I've only been around for 1 yr in magic.  But I've noticed that things really don't carry over from block to block.  Like Zendikar had allies and stuff, and worldwake (maybe had a few, don't remember) and rise didn't.  Rise had levelers and they seem sorta eh, unless you get like a mythic one that only cost one to level.  Not really competitive against a good deck. 

I mean, if they actually made a mechanic that would be supported all the way through and then some, it'd make it so people could be a little more liberal in their deck creations, and add some flavor to the list of decks being played.  Make it more interesting, and more of a challenge.

You're new to the game as a whole, so I understand you not knowing.

1. Mechanics carry over within a single block from set to set. Zendikar was the first block to BREAK that model. It thematically and mechanically reset as a key story element. In Worldwake the Eldrazi woke up, in ROE all hell broke loose.

2. Worldwake had a higher ally percentage than Zendikar and a lot of relevent ones at that.

3. The support each mechanic gets varies. Take a look at how many cards featured the key word "Cascade". There are maybe 15 or so. However, the power level of the cards is so high that most of them saw constructed play at some point.

4. It's the players that truly dictate how much play cards and mechanics get. There are random cases where the level-up creatures are actually seeing play, but the current format speed makes them less playable.

The level-up creatures seeing play are:
Coralhelm Commander in Legacy Merfolk lists
Enclave Cryptologist in standard Dredgevine
Joraga Treespeaker in standard Elf lists.
Kargan Dragonlord in standard red deck wins (though I think Kiln Fiend is infinitely better in this slot)
Transcendent Master in standard Big White lists (randomly)

So, of the 25 level up creatures, 5 are seeing play. Of those five, one is seeing play in the eternal formats, and the other four are relevent in Standard.

As an additional note, this is where the decrease in set size effects mechanic support. Back when Fading came out, they put it on 18 cards in a small expansion. That was 12.6% of the set. Now, when they do level-up, it gets 10% of the set. Those last few percentage points are quite relevent and where crazy things like Tangle Wire slip through the cracks.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I've been scouring the net for any more info on scars and have read that there's a new mox coming out. Mox Opal I believe it was. Does anybody know if there is any truth in this? 
We know the name, and the art, but nothing else. A lot of people are speculating just about everything, but nothing is solid yet.

Photobucket
Yep, Just saw the artwork on the magic show. Always forget to check that.

Terrible mechanics like wither, and lots of rubbish filler. Very little of the set was playable, and the stuff that was, was just incredibly obvious, making deck building pretty stagnant. Oh, I need a three mana creature: Finks/ram gang, that was hard.... etc etc.

Not too mention the colour pie.

Anyway, I digress, the main problem with shadowmoor was the overabundance of counters, but even with all the coutners, there wasn't that much gained from there. It was oversaturated for the sake of it. Mechanic/themed cards just for the sake of it. That's what I can see as a danger for SoM, being a slave to the theme. And if that happens, we all know the few playable cards will be mythic, and cost a fudge ton.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Terrible mechanics like wither, and lots of rubbish filler. Very little of the set was playable, and the stuff that was, was just incredibly obvious, making deck building pretty stagnant. Oh, I need a three mana creature: Finks/ram gang, that was hard.... etc etc.

Not too mention the colour pie.

Anyway, I digress, the main problem with shadowmoor was the overabundance of counters, but even with all the coutners, there wasn't that much gained from there. It was oversaturated for the sake of it. Mechanic/themed cards just for the sake of it. That's what I can see as a danger for SoM, being a slave to the theme. And if that happens, we all know the few playable cards will be mythic, and cost a fudge ton.

As long as it doesn't end up like shards did I'm ok with it being slave to a theme. Shards was a good example of a theme gone wrong. 

Sign In to post comments