8/26/2010 FtL: "Adios, Alara"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Im so glad Shards is going away, but only because of Path.  I really really hate that card.   Im gonna go see if I can make one of these decks.  Probably wont, stupid selling for more drafts online....

Edit.  I was right, I dont almost any of these cards.  Oh well.
I have an irrevocable association in my mind between Shards of Alara and "deathly dull". Fortunately, Conflux and Alara Reborn were distinctly better.

I agree that Sedris is underappreciated, though. 

I really wouldn't call Lorescale Coatl a "Johnny classic". All it does is get big. Swinging with big things is boring. It's like Kresh the Bloodbraided, who as far as I'm concerned is a */* vanilla, and vanillas are not Johnny classics. (Unless I suppose you start including Novijen Sages. Which you should. But anyway.)

Alara Reborn did bring a startling amount of cool things, though. Maelstrom Nexus is more of a Timmy classic, but does make for some extremely fun times. The Borderposts have really surprised me. I thought they were just very bad dual lands, but I've been astonished how huge a variety of contexts they are useful in: anything that wants you to have lands that aren't really land (Knight of the White Orchid), or makes artifacts cheaper (Etherium Sculptor), or have many artifacts (Mishra, Artificer Prodigy), or have coloured permanents (Crowd of Cinders), or have multicoloured permanents (Esper Stormblade)...

And wow, those poll results are extremely close! Looking forward to seeing what the contest terms are  
The shards deck - Amazing. Sedris totally flew under my radar, I need to go make an EDH deck from him.

The conflux deck - The whole 5-color thing was never really my style... I *kinda* liked sunburst but that was a lot better than conflux. I do like, however, what you did with the deck. Power 5+ can be brutal.

The reborn deck - Draw manipulation is fun. I like it. The reborn set itself I did not like much (with the exception of cascade).

I'll join you in saying farewell to alara... although I don't play standard. :P
Im so glad Shards is going away, but only because of Path.  I really really hate that card.   Im gonna go see if I can make one of these decks.  Probably wont, stupid selling for more drafts online....

Edit.  I was right, I dont almost any of these cards.  Oh well.

You can make the deck on Magic Workstation. :P Also path to exile is HYLARIOUS I love it (except when it hits one of my creatures D. And hey don't be forgetting Oblivion Ring! I know it came out in lorwyn, but shards continued it's awesomeness. Hopefully scars will as well. o.o
Coalition Wargame
Former Admiral Black Faction

Join the Coalition - Phyrexian War Game

Join the fight! Be an invading Phyrexian or a Coaltioner defending the plane of Dominaria!
Me
I am Chaotic Evil Chaotic evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have little respect for rules, other peoples' lives, or anything but their own selfish desires. They typically only behave themselves out of fear of punishment.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.