2 player Commander?

Hi,

I just bought a second account for my wife and both the commander pre-cons in the hopes of playing the mode with her but it appears I can't play two-player. Is this correct? If it is why? 

Thanks 
Hi,

I just bought a second account for my wife and both the commander pre-cons in the hopes of playing the mode with her but it appears I can't play two-player. Is this correct? If it is why? 

Thanks 

Commander is a multiplayer based format, first and foremost. It was initially coded ad hoc in the previous version and proved to be so popular that it was carried over to the current version.
However, while it's very easy to play any kind of variation in paper magic, each individual iteration has to be specifically coded for online play and the resources which would be used to code 1v1 Commander are needed elsewhere. In other words, it's pretty low on the list of priorities of things that need to get fixed and/or added.

Also (and I'm just speculating here), I think there are some other factors in play which, while not driving, do have some influence in keeping 1v1 Commander as something which is not likely to happen anytime soon; Paper EDH is an unsanctioned format which is not controlled by WotC or the DCI. The body which does guide the format has stated that the main focus of the format is multiplayer, and I think that WotC is content to let the EDH RC take the lead here, and so this attitude carries over into Commander as well.
The EDH RC wants to keep EDH as a social/casual oriented format, and 1v1 play in any format usually has a completely different goal.
MP EDH is more about "fun"; games which tend to go into double digit turns and where interesting things happen. 1v1 play is geared more toward winning, primarily as fast as possible.
Sure, it's possible to emulate MP EDH play in 1v1 EDH games but it usually doesn't turn out that way.
Anyway, I think that's a large part of the reason that there isn't currently 1v1 Commander available, besides being a low priority.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Menu -> Play -> Casual Play -> Just for fun -> New game -> set type to "Commander" and play structure to "Commander Duel". 

Have fun!

EDIT:

Lol, dead forum sure is dead... At least it was a nice necro.
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments