8/25/2010 BoaB: "Larkfolk"

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I haven't read a boab article in a while but I saw this and the article said it was easy to piece together. I guess I mistook this for cheap to put together, after checking it comes to about $95. Is this considered budget nowadays?
compared to some of the current standard decks that run anywhere between $300 and $500 for a deck yeah, it's pretty budget
Honestly, reveilark seems like an odd choice. the deck is running 24 land with no mutavaults, and is using a dual land that is far more expensive than the M10/M11 one. It really seems like there would be better maindeck choices, even if they were cryptic commands.

I didn't see a jund matchup, I suspect this deck would not fare well against it, especially tapping 6 to play a lark and not having any countermagic to stop opposing planeswalkers.
I haven't read a boab article in a while but I saw this and the article said it was easy to piece together. I guess I mistook this for cheap to put together, after checking it comes to about $95. Is this considered budget nowadays?

'Budget' seems to be a very subjective term nowadays.  $95 is honestly a good price for a reasonably decent deck like this.  I wouldnt call it budget by any means, but it's better than the prices of some of the other decks in extended.

I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
anyone think they'd have trouble with getting this deck for less than 95$?
looks closer to 25-30
the 0 mutavaults in the list definetly qualifies as budget

12 lords? pfft we want 16 or 20, 24?
anyone think they'd have trouble with getting this deck for less than 95$?
looks closer to 25-30
the 0 mutavaults in the list definetly qualifies as budget

12 lords? pfft we want 16 or 20, 24?

Not to question your math skills but unless you want to waste half your life dealing with actual players on mtgo when it comes to acquiring cards...(no one does)
Then the playsets of Wanderwine Hub and Reveillark will cost 45 alone.  Wake Thrasher is another 15 and Glen Elenda Archmage is 18 for the PAIR!  So right now thats 78...Double your estimate.  I would continue pricing but I think you get the point.  I built a monoblack Commander deck for either close to the price of this deck or less...
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.

Sadly, if it's under 100$, I'd call it cheap/budget.  That's just me, but I'm not sure how much lower you can go while making any decks with the ability to win.
Not to question your math skills but unless you want to waste half your life dealing with actual players on mtgo when it comes to acquiring cards...(no one does)
Then the playsets of Wanderwine Hub and Reveillark will cost 45 alone.  Wake Thrasher is another 15 and Glen Elenda Archmage is 18 for the PAIR!  So right now thats 78...Double your estimate.  I would continue pricing but I think you get the point.  I built a monoblack Commander deck for either close to the price of this deck or less...

Are the prices that high on Magic Online?   For paper, Glen Elendra Archmage and Wake Thrasher are both maybe $4, Reveillark is about $3.50, and Wanderwine Hub is under $1.50.  Coralhelm Commander is about $2, and Lord of Atlantis is $4.50.  So that's $70 for all of the rares.  Figure a few more dollars for the uncommons, and you're good!  Not really cheap, but what's the alternative?
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Hey Jacob, this is a little off topic, but it might be a good break to try to make a new pauper deck.  It's been a while since you've done something outside of standard/extended, and the last few sets have given us some interesting commons...

Just a thought.  gl, hf 

Are the prices that high on Magic Online?   For paper, Glen Elendra Archmage and Wake Thrasher are both maybe $4, Reveillark is about $3.50, and Wanderwine Hub is under $1.50.  Coralhelm Commander is about $2, and Lord of Atlantis is $4.50.  So that's $70 for all of the rares.  Figure a few more dollars for the uncommons, and you're good!  Not really cheap, but what's the alternative?

This is why I don't play MODO. Completely schewed prices. I found the rares AND a set of Reejerey for about $60, and that's w/o shopping around.

For all the MODO players: just do trades.

For the paper Magic players: Shop around for the best deal. Ask on whatever forums which online supplier people find the best to deal with, and start there. Also remember, "Slightly Played", for the most part, means, "has a little nick/scratch/dent somewhere on it." I picked up a set of Bloodghasts over at StarCityGames because they were "slightly played". It took me ten minutes and a magnifying glass to find the "damage" on them.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Um doing trades with people on MODO is like shoving bamboo reeds underneath your fingernails.  Not too mention it takes forever to get done and some people may actually want to play.  Personally I use bots whenever possible.  Though as far as this deck is concerned...Its blue, i wouldnt spend money on it anyways.  I hate blue.

I would like to throw out one more card to try in this kind of deck: Mistmeadow Witch. You only need 1-2 copies in the entire deck, and when he resolves in the late-game, he completely dominates. Your Larks and Mulldrifters get blinked every turn, netting you even more card advantage. You can reset a Glen Elendra Archmage after it has persisted. You can even remove troublesome blockers or save your own lords from spot removal.

As for the rest of the deck, I could see adding Glacial Fortresses to the manabase to make absolutely sure that you can cast your Larks, but other than that I really like this list. Is there a sideboard for it anywhere?

For all the MODO players: just do trades.

Um doing trades with people on MODO is like shoving bamboo reeds underneath your fingernails.  Not too mention it takes forever to get done and some people may actually want to play.

Don't get me started!

Ok, you did.

Honestly, among the plethora of things being "not easy" on MODO, the lack of a decent trading facility sticks out like a sore thumb. What started out as the mother of TCG became just another CG with a money sink attached online.

Sure, Wizards has no monetary incentive to improve the secondary marketplace, but a so called trading card game without automated want/have lists or even some kind of message boards that aren't a pain to use deserves this kind of rant. Don't they feel ashamed that the only decent way to trade for singles is supplied by rogueware, i.e. bots?

Ah well, move on...

Good article.  I'm not going to get drawn into the whole 'let's define budget' debate as budget is a completely subjective term. 

As an aside, I agree with the others regarding the need for better trading facilities online.

a budget deck can be made from modo or real cards
M10 duals were 8$ each while only costing 1~ tix on modo, theres a big disparity;
if you can build a list from either singular source and have it less than 50$/tix its budget

by all means continue screaming about archmages costing 9 tix when you can buy then on paper for 3-4$

unless you live in a town of 2000 people in alaska and cannot play with anyone else
modo is the anti-budget, and is never spoken of in the same breath as budget 
who has money to gather up 8 of each Standard staple

Don't forget Aquitect's Will as an alternative to Spreading Seas for the board.
could someone recommend a SB list for this deck? i've just started on the extended scene.
The Subversively Evil Yet Extraordinarily Helpful One.
Show
75932913 wrote:
Symo: you are a snake and i don't trust you as far as i can kick you to be honest. this is primarily because of how bad you can roflstomp as mafia and keep getting away with it.
Mafia Games to Date: Scars of Mirrodin: Mafia Roleblocker/Don - Win KoS Mafia II: Town Vanilla - Win Orchard Mafia: Town Vanilla - Lost YMTC Summit of Null Moon II: Mafia - Win *I have never been lynched or NK'd in any of these games. That will probably change shortly.*
this is really a bad use of merfolk resorces i would have 4 sejiri merfolk well before i added stony brook or archmage. this is an incredibly expensive deck for building on a budget, what is Jacob thinking this time? all you need to do is add some plains instead of ziggs and maybe an island or 2, this deck really isnt incredibly blue heavy, realistically you only need 2 blue on t2 for coralhelm commander, but what i do like about this deck is that combined with basic legacy staples this is a legacy deck (and minus revelark) also i wouldnt be running 4 wakes. there good but not as good without merfolk soverign and removal spells as he had his showing in standard in summer 09. a nice cheap counter that interacts with this deck instead of cryptic (or glen elendra for that matter) is sage's dousing i understand the utility that revelark adds to this deck, however i dont see a r eason to be splashing white just for him, splashing white for paths/ condemns (depends on bugdet)  
Then the playsets of Wanderwine Hub and Reveillark will cost 45 alone. 

No they won't. 16 dollars MAX. Reveillark is about $2.50 and Wanderwine Hub is less than 1 dollar.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
i think this deck could use some techtonic edges for the groves of burnswillows that wreck this deck.... can't believe you didn't think of that jacob...
I don't play Magic online, but man those prices seem abhorrish. I just looked up all of the rares on a site that I always purchase cards from, and all of the rares would cost me around $35. If I spent more than $50 on this deck after that I would be surprised.

I played a similar deck during Lorwyn standard, but instead of using Wake Thrasher I used Sage of Fables so that if they were both out for the simple cost of U I had a negate on a stick or free constantly recurring 2/2 flying blocker, since the counter from Sage removes the persist counter.  Reveillark returns both pieces of the combo, which is nice and the amount of countermagic and other support available kept it playable.

this is really a bad use of merfolk resorces i would have 4 sejiri merfolk well before i added stony brook or archmage. this is an incredibly expensive deck for building on a budget, what is Jacob thinking this time? all you need to do is add some plains instead of ziggs and maybe an island or 2, this deck really isnt incredibly blue heavy, realistically you only need 2 blue on t2 for coralhelm commander, but what i do like about this deck is that combined with basic legacy staples this is a legacy deck (and minus revelark) also i wouldnt be running 4 wakes. there good but not as good without merfolk soverign and removal spells as he had his showing in standard in summer 09. a nice cheap counter that interacts with this deck instead of cryptic (or glen elendra for that matter) is sage's dousing i understand the utility that revelark adds to this deck, however i dont see a r eason to be splashing white just for him, splashing white for paths/ condemns (depends on bugdet)  

I agree with some of this.
I like the deck, but yeah, I don't see a reason to splash for 'Lark. I've sleeved up and played this deck for a couple hours now, and I gotta say, I don't like 'Lark because he feels underused. When I draw lark, I find myself wishing I was playing a dedicated 'Lark deck.

As for the rest of the deck, WOW, What a blast to play. I hve never had so much fun playing Merfolk since Standard. I want to splash white, but for Paths and probably a couple siggs. I found that Sigg is a fine edition by just taking one of each lord out(c'mon, you still have NINE LORDS), and he really helps Wake Thrasher Get through.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
Merfolk without any removal or counterspells? I don't think I would build it that exact way (especially trying to mix a Lark engine in) but in spirit, I find that that's actually a fine starting point. Many naysayers say that if you are to play Merfolk, you should just play Faeries, "the better blue aggro-control deck". But they're not seeing Merfolk with the right perspective : built on its true strenghts, the tribe is very different from Faeries, because it is far more on the aggro side of the spectrum, while Faeries is actually much closer to the control side of the spectrum. IMO, the only distruption, if any, that you should play in Merfolk is for countering removal; the rest should be pure tribal beatdown.

With that in mind, personaly, I'd play monoblue with the full 16 lords (adding Merfolk Sovereign) and 8 one-drops for mana curve purposes (4 of each Cursecatcher and Tideshaper Mystic). Maybe very light distruption main deck (some Sage's Dousing or Mana Leak).

Don't forget Aquitect's Will as an alternative to Spreading Seas for the board.

The problem with Aquitect's Will is that it is not an answer to anything. It gives the enchanted land the Island subtype in addition to its other land types, so it doesn't remove any abilities the land has, including its normal mana abilities. All it does is help your team going through with Islandwalk. Spreading Seas is miles better for the extra mana.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
i think this deck could use some techtonic edges for the groves of burnswillows that wreck this deck.... can't believe you didn't think of that jacob...

I don't see how Grove of the Burnwillows 'wrecks' this deck.

Also, LOL @ this deck beating Faeries. Maybe it did that one time, but it doesn't seem to have enough umph to do it consistently.

I'm going to make this deck though, but I'm going to add some other spells instead of running an all-permanent deck.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

Also, LOL @ this deck beating Faeries. Maybe it did that one time, but it doesn't seem to have enough umph to do it consistently.

I'm going to make this deck though, but I'm going to add some other spells instead of running an all-permanent deck.

Grove of the burnwillows only wrecks the deck when you pair it with Punishing fire, which does handily decemate your board.

The reason this deck as ANY game against Faeries is the sheer number of threats it can slam onto the board.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:

Grove of the burnwillows only wrecks the deck when you pair it with Punishing fire, which does handily decemate your board.

The reason this deck as ANY game against Faeries is the sheer number of threats it can slam onto the board.

Yeah Punishing fires might decimate your board...but with the sheer number of lords this deck runs that shouldnt be much of an issue.

Yeah Punishing fires might decimate your board...but with the sheer number of lords this deck runs that shouldnt be much of an issue.

it's all about keeping the initial board under control. None of the lords are out of PUNishment by themselves, and the only card that can be by itsself is Wake Thrasher. This is why I think this deck needs Sygg. He's just too good at protecting your board.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Let me just add to Mystrin's suggestion of Sage of Fables: it is hilarity along with the Archmage.  My own Merfolk milling deck has this combo, it can be loads of fun.  From a competitive stance, it might be too gimmicky, unless you decide to add more Wizards.  Mistmeadow Witch, as suggested, does come to mind for that one. 

To handle Punishing Fire decks, I guess Aquitect's will or Spreading Seas would suffice, not sure if the Will works that way, though.  I'd have to agree on Sejiri Merfolk as well; against dedicated aggro decks first strike and lifelink are a godsend. 

I'm actually more surprised at the fact that he's doing a Merfolk deck now than at the fact that he's using Reveillark again.  Granted, the two have decent interaction, but apart from Mulldrifter and Archmage you're not actually accruing a lot of card advantage.  It's an aggro deck with Lark in it, and that's it. 

What I personally would like to see next is a budget fatty deck with no rare fatties.  Let's see how well Pellaka Wurm, Artisan of Kozilek and Rapacious One do compared to those other beasties. 

Either that or a World Queller deck.  There must be something you can do with that? All you need is some way to keep it alive...could you turn a Valakut mana-ramp deck into an Emeria deck? I mean, using the plains-matters land in something that's not mono-white.  Just thinking aloud...while typing. 

Anyhow, I think the only real suggestion that's not been offered for this deck is to include more of a wizards and levelers theme.  Cryptologist to fill the graveyard, Venerated Teacher as another Lark target...and that Time of Heroes would put all levelers out of Punishing Fire range, though that's stretching the idea, probably.  All the good ideas have been said already. 
Let me just add to Mystrin's suggestion of Sage of Fables: it is hilarity along with the Archmage.  My own Merfolk milling deck has this combo, it can be loads of fun.  From a competitive stance, it might be too gimmicky, unless you decide to add more Wizards.  Mistmeadow Witch, as suggested, does come to mind for that one. 

To handle Punishing Fire decks, I guess Aquitect's will or Spreading Seas would suffice, not sure if the Will works that way, though.  I'd have to agree on Sejiri Merfolk as well; against dedicated aggro decks first strike and lifelink are a godsend. 

I'm actually more surprised at the fact that he's doing a Merfolk deck now than at the fact that he's using Reveillark again.  Granted, the two have decent interaction, but apart from Mulldrifter and Archmage you're not actually accruing a lot of card advantage.  It's an aggro deck with Lark in it, and that's it. 

What I personally would like to see next is a budget fatty deck with no rare fatties.  Let's see how well Pellaka Wurm, Artisan of Kozilek and Rapacious One do compared to those other beasties. 

Either that or a World Queller deck.  There must be something you can do with that? All you need is some way to keep it alive...could you turn a Valakut mana-ramp deck into an Emeria deck? I mean, using the plains-matters land in something that's not mono-white.  Just thinking aloud...while typing. 

Anyhow, I think the only real suggestion that's not been offered for this deck is to include more of a wizards and levelers theme.  Cryptologist to fill the graveyard, Venerated Teacher as another Lark target...and that Time of Heroes would put all levelers out of Punishing Fire range, though that's stretching the idea, probably.  All the good ideas have been said already. 

but then we'd have a terrible deck rather than a good deck. You see the problem.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Jake, for sequel week will you pleaseeee do this deck??? I know it's a bit late and it's technically not a budget list, but will you at least mention it because I am reallly having trouble making this new tech public (as weird as it seems). I basically  wrote your article for you but I apologize for the lack of hyperlinks for the cards but I'd really like to learn how.

The Scoop:
     I reccently stumbled upon a combo between Reveillark, Saffi Eriksdotter, Viscera Seer (or some other sacrifice outlet), and any "'Larkable" creature (namely Mulldrifter). Here's how it works: you sacrifice the 'Drifter to Viscera Seer and Scry 1, then you sacrifice Saffi using her ability targeting your 'Lark, ensuring its return, and finally you use Viscer Seer to sacrifice the 'Lark. Saffi makes 'Lark come back and 'Lark brings back Saffi and the 'Drifter. You are now back where you began except you've now drawn two cards and have Scryed twice. This can be used with a variety of different creatures to different effects. This is quite similar to the combo played by Patrick Chapin when Reveillark was still Standard Legal.

The List:
     The (very) raw deck I came up with looks something like this:
Spells:
4 Reveillark
4 Fauna Shaman
4 Mulldrifter
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
2 Saffi Eriksdotter
2 Body Double
3 Glen Elendra Archmage
2 Ondu Giant
1 Ravenous Rats
1 Viscera Seer
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Primal Command
2 Wrath of God
Land:
4 Seaside Citadel
3 Ancient Ziggurat
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Marsh Flats
1 Swamp
5 Plains
4 Island
4 Forest

The Reasoning:

Every card in this deck does in fact have a reason for being there. Ondu Giant?!? you say, well here's my explanation:

Reveillark- The glue of the deck, it allows you to combo and can provide broken amounts of card advantage.
Fauna Shaman- This keeps the deck going, she allows you to pitch your 'Larkable guys to find whatever you need to combo. She can also be used to pitch your sacrifice outlets to be 'Larked back into play if you haven't yet been able to find a source of black mana.
Mulldrifter- Draws you cards, a classic for Reveillark decks, when combined with the combo it allows you to draw your entire deck. (be sure to leave five to ten cards so that you actually have the time you need to kill them)
Qasali Pridemage- Answers Bitterblossom, is 'Larkable, and provides Exalted when needed. Enough said.
Venser, Shaper Savant- Another classic Reveillark deck staple, Venser allows you to bounce their threats, or delay their spells. When combined with the combo it allows you to bounce their entire board and counter anything they try to cast.
Saffi Eriksdotter- One of the combo pieces, she can also be abused with your evoke creatures.
Body Double- Often a Reveillarkable Reveillark, Body Double also serves as an extra copy of whatever you need.
Glen Elendra Archmage- Just hands down good. This Faerie can lock out the Five Color Control decks all by herself. She stops almost all of the threats posed to this deck, namely Extirpate type effects and excessive amounts of creature removal.
Ondu Giant- It finds land. This deck wants to do so many things at once and it is vital that it has the mana to do so. It can thin your deck to basically just spells when combined with the combo.
Ravenous Rats- This card has basically no use other than to be the nail in the coffin when comboing off. You bounce their board with Venser and then wipe their hand with the rats.
Viscera Seer- Vital to the deck; the primary way to sacrifice yout creatures and combo off.
Bloodthrone Vampire- A secondary way to sacrifice creatures, one that can actually kill your opponent.
Squee, Goblin Nabob- Allows perpetual Fauna Shaman tutoring. It is quite frustrating to have a Shaman and not be able to use it.
Primal Command- Mainly included for the creature tutoring, but overall a good utility card.
Wrath of God- Kills all their stuff and, assuming you have either a Saffi or a Reveilliark, does very little damage to you.
Seaside Citadel - Tri-Lands = Happiness, Period.
Ancient Ziggurat- Seeing as we're playing with twenty-nine creatures, it's basically a land that comes into play untapped and gives us access to any color we happen to need at the time.
Misty Rainforest - Both filters our deck and fixes our mana, sounds good.
Marsh Flats- Same deal, it also allows us to find our one Swamp.

The Up's:
     This deck is a sturdy combo deck in which all the pieces of the combo and the cards used to find the pieces both serve the combo, but also work quite well on their own. The deck is remarkably synergistic and the more you play it, the greater number of little interactions you find. The deck does not play itself and provides the pilot with the challenge when playing it. The combo itself is very durable. If they attempt to disrupt it in any way, you can usually just combo in response. Neglecting the Fauna Shamans, I would consider this a budget list, particularly for Extended. This deck has no bad match-ups with any of the common decks in the current metagame, and unless it suddenly catches on very quickly, will take most players by surprise as they watch your plays with confusion.

The Down's:
     As before mentioned, this deck is considerably weak to an Extirpate type effect. Any graveyard hate, with a special shout-out going to Haunting Echoes, also hoses this deck pretty badly. This deck is quite mana hungry and needs cards to compensate which simply don't exist. Allowing your opponent to Exile too many of your important creatures with cards such as Path to Exile will also put you in a pretty bad spot.

The Questions:
     Is this concept a possible competitive powerhouse? What cards would you change? (The obligatory) does the mana need work? Questions? Comments? If there is any better way of sharing new tech other than posting it here, I'd like to know about it. I have to ask you all to do me a huge favor of throwing this deck together and taking it to your next FNM to test. I will gladly take any feedback you are willing to give.

Thanks,
-RAR
Hey, i know some of these cards aren't in standard, but i had an idea for a deck and wanted to see what you thought of it. I played with it a little online, but wanted to see if there was anything that could be improved upon.
this deck is based around Charge across the araba being able to make my six 1/1s from conquerors pledge into 5/5s for lethal damage. here is what my deck looks like right now:
4x brave the elements
4x charge across the araba
4x honor of the pure
3x conquerers pledge
3x hour of reckoning
3x nomads assembly
4x soul warden (or souls attendant w/e)
4x survival cache
4x wall of omens
3x wall of reverance

4x kabira crossroads
20x plains 

Also, i want to see if i can build this in real life, so obviously i cant have planeswalkers or anything crazy expensive like that.