What does your screenname mean? (just for fun!)

43 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm just curious if there's any special significance behind people's screennames.  Is there a good story behind it?  A funny inside joke?  Or is it just something boring like your name with a "1" after it?

Lori Anderson

WotC Freelancer, LFR author

@LittleLorika

Dragon Magazine #412: Unearthed Arcana: Ships in Your Campaign

Calimshan Adventures (LFR): CALI3-3, CALI4-1, and QUES4-1

Epic Adventures (LFR): EPIC5-1 and EPIC5-3

Other LFR Adventures: NETH4-1, ADCP5-2, and MYTH6-3

Well, the source for "kenobi" is obvious enough; he's one of my favorite SW characters.

65 is my birth year.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

Well Demetri Wolfgang Knighthawk is my 'social name' I have been going by since 2000. I had a religious experience and much change of self during that time.

Demetri is named after Dimitri Maximoff From Darkstalkers

Wolfgang is after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart whose music would always level me out no matter how frustrating life was 1 hour with my CD player and i was back to normal. 

Knighthawk is actualy 2 parts: I used the knights codes of chivalry to keep me from gangs and unwise choices. Hawk is from my need of constant vigilance and protecting the children in my apartment complex from drug dealers and gang members.

CdrcJsn is my first name without the vowels.

Yes, I have two first names.

Cedric Jason
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
I was a member of the Boy Scouts, and through them the Order of the Arrow.  My vigil name was Nipahwochwen which translates to "go by night", or "travel at night".  450, is the lodge number.

I like it, cause it was a name awarded to me for enjoying night hikes.  (The other possibility for my name I was told would have been "He who breaks my @#$&ing door" from the camp ranger...  But that's a longer story.)

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Grey Wandering Warrior

Been using it since some time in the 80's 
Honestly?

It's bastardized from a beer mug that came free in a - no joke! - box of chocolates.  Ice Cubes, to be specific.  Weird promotions, for sure.

The beer?  Warssteiner, a german brew.  No clue what their connection is to chocolate.  All I truly know is that it's a weird name that I've never had to fight for on other sites.

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Mommy was an Orc. I wanted a name that sounded like it had some sort of back story with an inside joke going on. So essentially a joke.

It has had a couple of odd things going on about it:
Some people would abbreviate it to Mommy. Which was weird.
So I abbreviated it to MwaO, which is roughly the sound a cat makes. I like cats. So I find that amusing

Of course, any one who has actually met me(your husband?) knows I'm not really Orcish in the slightest.

About 10 years ago I was trying to come up with a username for something and the first 20 or so names I tried were already taken. I got really annoyed and went to get up from my computer and out of the corner of my eye saw the power outlet with the surge protector attached.

The brand was Surgebuster...
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Mommy was an Orc. I wanted a name that sounded like it had some sort of back story with an inside joke going on. So essentially a joke.

It has had a couple of odd things going on about it:
Some people would abbreviate it to Mommy. Which was weird.
So I abbreviated it to MwaO, which is roughly the sound a cat makes. I like cats. So I find that amusing

Of course, any one who has actually met me(your husband?) knows I'm not really Orcish in the slightest.

Yes, I believe my husband met you at DDXP.

So...  I kinda hate to ask, but if Mommy was an Orc, what was Daddy? 

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

Nostalgia.

When I was a wee lad, I collected Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. Fantasy based were my favorite.

For my (13th?) birthday I received a pair of books: The Amber Sword of World's End. You and a friend each took a book, and took turns reading a page of your own adventure while searching an island for a valuable magic weapon. There were even rudimentary combat rules! The individual books were named You Are Uthrac, Barbarian Warrior and You Are Garth, Master of the North Wind. You can guess which book I played.  

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Mine is kind of boring.  It's just my first name and then middle and last initials: Lori K. A.  But "Lorika" sounds like a name all by itself and has a nice ring to it. 

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

I've been using Iceman for over a decade on lots of different forums.  He wasn't my favorite x-men character, but he was up there (especially during the Age of Apocalypse series when he basically was "I am Cold" - I liked that aspect).

I used to be a frequent poster on the Avalon Hill Risk 2210 boards, and when they combined with this one, somehow AH_ got prepended to the handle.  It annoys me, but not enough to do anything about.

-VIC
Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.
My birthday is August 7th.

Pretty lame, I know.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com

ConnCon, actually.

Open-ended question. I never even thought about it. 

ConnCon, actually.

Open-ended question. I never even thought about it. 

Probably a question best left unanswered...  Tongue out

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

Pretty lame, I know.

Nah, that is where the 11 in my name comes from as well. Mind you, 11 is also the crazy number, which rings well with the mad part of fox. As for the name as a whole, I have no clue where it came from. I think I needed a screen name quick, and it sounded fine enough.
When I first joined the Black Adder mailing list, waaaay back in ancient times, a discussion was going on that concerned the Addam Family. I joined in the discussion, and while I don't know exactly what I said ( it probaly involved a 'Tish, that's french!' comment) from that moment on I was known as 'Gomez'.
Could have been worse, I could have ended up 'Fester'...
Of course, 'gomez' is a common name, so when it is already taken, I use 'gomeztoo'.

Pretty lame, I know.

Nothing wrong with having August 7th as a birthday. Every year it's a day of celebration for me too.

My name comes from the old Oriental Adventures module Mad Monkey vs the Dragon Claw. My first 3rd edition character was a crazy monk with a trained monkey as a pet, loosely based on the Monkey King stories. I thought it a fitting name.

When the new boards arrived the number was added to my name.

Pretty lame, I know.

Happy belated birthday from one Leo to another!

I love dragons.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day I got my first internet account on Netcom.  I wanted Dragon but it was, obviously, taken and the system suggested Dragon9.  I used it for a long time.  It started getting tough to use that one and on other sites I use Netminder69, since I used to play goal in ice hockey and my jersey number was 69.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

Pretty lame, I know.

I see nothing lame about being born on August 7, since I was, too!

My name is a pretty transparent reference to my second-favorite superhero, Green Lantern (the first will always have to be Superman, corny as he may be).
When I was working in Sweden many years ago I wanted to stay connected to my old gaming buddies. I started up an e-mail based Shadowrun campaign. Each player chose a highly cybered or magically enhanced PC from a different country. They received their missives from a single operative, whom they were not sure could be trusted, codenamed Alphastream. I made up an e-mail for the campaign. Over time I found my other accounts ended up spammed and I could always find the login available for various sites. It stuck.

I did once use YummyToast on AoL, which came from a netbook of spells where the spell was Polymorph Flesh to Toast. The target became yummy buttered toast, which I thought was really funny. I even used the spell inside Orcus' domain in the climactic battle in Throne of Bloodstone. That player was pretty sad when they became yummy buttered (and crumbly and incredibly fragile) toast. Sadly, some magic user had to go and end the effect.

Every now I find myself I had used YummyToast as my main e-mail and screen name. I do love breakfast.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I did once use YummyToast on AoL, which came from a netbook of spells where the spell was Polymorph Flesh to Toast. The target became yummy buttered toast, which I thought was really funny.

LOL!  Reminds me of the old "Yamara" comic strip in Dragon magazine, where the evil sorceress had created the spell Transmute Flesh to Plush (changes creatures into stuffed animals).
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
My Screenname is just my name, haha.

Ok, boring.
My screen name is just my name, in Welsh. So I guess that's slightly less boring! And it appears that very few Welsh Peters have found their way online because it's almost always available (except that some nasty reseller bought pedr.eu before I could get hold of it  )

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

"No, that was not Zathras, that was Zath'ras. There are 10 of us, all of family Zathras, each one named Zathras. Slight differences in how you pronounce. Zathraas, Zathras, Zath'ras.. You are seeing now?"
"There are ten of you?"
"Yes! Well, nine now."

"You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
"Yes, yes, Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry. Go, go, Zathras take care."
"No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes."

Zathras live for The One and Zathras die for The One, but then the One died and the Spellplague changed Zathras.  Wait, that's not right, I mean, the Chosen of Mystra helped maintain the balance of magical power on Toril, and then the Shadows came and killed The One, but The One did not die.  But The One did die ...  Zathas very sorry, Zathras not good at remembering Zathras' history, Zathras only good at doing or making other people do for Zathras.  Maybe someday Zathras remember how to bring back The One.

In short, I love Zathras from Babylon 5, and I love how Mystra's death and the subsequent Spellplague gives the perfect excuse for 4e being not just 3.x (Bring Back Magic Missile Requiring attack rolls! Or at least give me a RBA that doesn't suck).  Why can't Wizards cast 5 fireballs a day? Spellplague did it.  Why don't Warlocks just cast Eldritch Blast all day? Because Hellish Rebuke is better, I mean Spellplague did it!  WTF Happened to the Shaar? Spellplague.  Where's Unther? Spellplague.  What about -? Spellplague.

Zathris (with an "i" just to be different) are my spellscarred Arcane characters built, in a fashion, after the Chosen of Mystra from Forgotten Realms 3.x
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Even though ChainLink brings to mind a fence for many people, when I made up the name I had Legends of Zelda in mind.

Specifically, the hookshot, Link's chain (and grapple).
if Mommy was an Orc, what was Daddy? 

"... smelt of elderberries"?

My own screen-name is pretty boring, so I'll lie to spice it up:
It stands for Mark Vincent (aka Vin Diesel). And yes, I do play D&D.
Eudemonism is an ethical system that holds that the basis of moral obligations is the tendency of right actions to produce happiness, as per Aristotle where happiness comes as the result of an active life governed by reason.  It evaluates the morality of actions by reference to their impact on personal well-being.  Eu- is from Greek, meaning "good" or also "together".  Demon has come to have a negative connotation, but was originally used to describe a spirit that spurs or motivates action, i.e. "By Demons Be Driven".  I use it on most of the boards I frequent--it's usually open.
It's a made-up name.  Originally, it named a character I created in the original Might and Magic computer game.  I subsequently used it as a handle in several dial-up BBSs and frequently dig it out for online forums, since it's pretty much guaranteed no one else will be using it.

I ripped my XBox handle from the band Mr. Bungle, but not wanting to have a blatant band-name rip-off, I changed it to mr0bunghole in light of the insult so infamously hurled between the Beavis and Butthead characters, which I find rather odd because I really cannot stand the duo.

Nowadays I like to tell people the nickname stems from my vinification hobby.

"You see, my avatar is a bunghole!"

I don't think I need to explain.. Heck I probably don't even exist..
To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;
I don't think I need to explain.. Heck I probably don't even exist..

....cue eerie music...

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

I did what many have done before me - I used a character name as a handle on forums and websites.

The character name was originally created as a name for my Scorpion Shugenja for Legend of the Five Rings (the other LFR...). I had a wacky concept for the character (he was a Scorpion, but his mind and spirit had been transferred into the body of a Crane - opportunity!). So, I wedded the concept to his magical abillities, and created a mashed-up japanese word that is a pun.

Yogo is his family name, and Zuno is short for Zunokigaeru. Zuno means brain, Kigaeru means to change, so he is a Mind-Changer - both literally, and by profession, since he casts charm spells.

I used the name for a pair of characters, then used it as my name in an ongoing Card Game campaign, and then used it on the L5R forums. After that, I realised it would be really likely to be available as an account name on just about any forum or website I logged into...and so it has been.
KarmaInferno is a nonsense word made of two other words mashed together.

It was selected to be decently easy to remember but unlikely to already be in use on the Internetz.

That said, someone seems to have taken it on Yahoo. I am mildly annoyed.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
For me, I'm a beginner Cartographer and I thought, why not a Mad Cartographer as in a Mad Scientist.

I've been making deck plans for several games now, my time is preoccupied in recreating the NCC 1701 USS Enterprise from the Original Star Trek TV show.  Next project will be Castle Bran aka Dracula's Castle in Romania.
Mine goes back to my first Living Greyhawk charactor who started out as an Albino Half Orc and ended the 3.5 era as a Human Wizard 6 Spellsword 4 after his 3rd Reincarnation he became some what famous for the spectacular ways he got killed. Vamroc actually earned the title Lord Dire my position was my charactor has a title damn it and no matter how low on the totem pole he is that makes him a NOBLE. He took great pride in the fact he had a title since so few Half Orcs amount to anything.   
I'm going to date myself.  -sigh-

The original Pac-Man video games - those big arcade machines that took up 3x3 foot spaces in the corner of many small stores - offered 10 people the chance to put three initials each on the 'Top Scores" list.  Then the new improved versions offered 20 people the chance to put four initials each on the list.  I had to find a good letter to fill in that last blank.  What I got looks a little like my actual name.

I've noticed since then that nobody ever uses this particular set of letters.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

my friends old email was juanster and I made mine from an old nickname.

Mike
Venture Bros. Ghosts of the Sargasso. "Unabort Brock! Rebort!"