8/24/2010 LI: "Fight to the Finish"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I fully agree, I only really splash in M11, if I am green. It's too risky to splash for 2-4 cards. It will slow you down and you can end up with 2 of your splash mana in the early game - which would really suck. The worst is having 1-2 splash cards in your opening hand with no way to cast them. You might as well mulligan them because they're dead cards.

Too often I find people spreading themselves thin by playing 2 main colors and 2 splash - that's just risky. This is most probably due to their drafting and getting "whatever is the best card." It's so easy to draft 2 colors in this set, I don't see why you would risk splashing even 1 color.
Excellent article!

One more thing about splashing: don't forget to consider the color commitment of your main cards. If most of them require only a single colored mana, it's much safer to splash. Conversely, if you're relying on Corrupt and Quag Sickness to shine alongside Fiery Hellhound and Cyclops Gladiator, you better stick to two colors.
The only card in M11 that I will really feel compelled to splash whether I have fixers or not is Fireball. It's an incredibly powerful late game card that only requires one colored mana. But it's the exception, really; every other card of a comparable or higher power level requires a heavier color commitment.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Wow, great article. I've been reading playing limited and reading Limited Information for years, and I feel like I learned a lot here. In particular, I'd never thought about the difference between the two different kinds of "strong late game" a deck can have -- strong expensive creatures (which means you want an aggressive core to draw out your opponent's answers) vs. an incremental card advantage controlling deck (which means you want a defensive/controlling core). I also found the point interesting that you might want to play "conditional answers" like a Wall of Vines or a Solemn Offering if your deck is so good that you just don't want to get hosed by an unusual threat you can't answer, or if your deck is so bad that you're hoping for the lucky break of them having something for your unusual answer to deal with, but not in an average deck.
I tend to only splash for cards like Lightning Bolt or Fireball or Pacifism that only require a single off-colour mana and do not need to be played early on.
I tend to only splash for cards like Lightning Bolt or Fireball or Pacifism that only require a single off-colour mana and do not need to be played early on.

I generally agree, but in M11 I found myself successfully splashing for Mind Control as the only blue card in a deck with some mana fixers because it's just too good to pass.

I generally agree, but in M11 I found myself successfully splashing for Mind Control as the only blue card in a deck with some mana fixers because it's just too good to pass.

I would absolutely splash for Mind Control if I had fixers but generally to have fixers you need to be in green (which is the only colour where splashing isn't that risky).  A couple of cultivate or Sylvan Ranger and you are away.