Illithid Playable Race (Mind Flayer)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Because Wizards would rather not make evil races available to PCs, I took the liberty to make the Mind Flayer into a PC race. I use some creative license with what it can do, but please, let me know what you think! Is it totally insane?

Follow the link to see the race, complete with a paragon path.

lapinknits.webs.com/Illithid.pdf
Let's see what we can do to balance this out...

The race:

Reduce its speed to 6. Yes, the monster manual has their speed listed higher, but generally playable races have a speed higher than 6 only if they're known for being especially quick. Instead, I would recommend giving them low-light vision. This would make more sense since illithids are native to places such as the underdark. If you want to give them a speed boost, make it a feat of some sort.

Reduce its telepathy to 5, so that it doesn't overshadow the shardmind's telepathy ability. If you really want your race to have long range telepathy, you can make a feat for it.

I would get rid of Far Realm Tolerance. They're already getting +1 Will from their +2 Charisma. When races receive a bonus to one of their defenses, it's generally because their ability score buffs grant them +1 to only one of their defenses. With your race's stats, you're already getting +1 reflex and +1 Will. So there's no need for it.

The racial power is easilly abusable as-is. Many creatures have several secondary effects that occur when their basic attacks hit. So this power effectively gives you access to powers that can daze, mark, deal ongoing damage, etc. until the end of the encounter or until the minion dies. I would instead make the power last until the end of your next turn and make it a sustain minor power. This would make it still very useful for its versatility and its ability to create a moving roadblock that acts outside of your actions, but without driving your DM nuts.

The Paragon Path:

Overall looks good.

Dictating critical denying an enemy's saving throw is too powerful though. Instead, make it give a penalty to their saving throws. This will still make it difficult for your enemies to save against status effects, but it's not as abusable.
Well Cazra covered plenty I think.  I agree with the speed, Illithid's never strike me as a quick race.  And yeah, telepathy should be reduced to 5 along with the Shardmind and Kalashtar and then have a feat to increase it to 10.  Aura of Madness, I was going to say was a little much but then remembered I current have a beef against how high of a saving throw bonus monsters have these days...so nevermind I think its fine.

And yeah, the racial power is a little much.  I don't think its crazy exactly, sure as Cazra said some monsters have secondary effects with their basic attacks which could cause problems if they're not taken out within a turn or two which may or may not happen depending on the number of enemies, how the DM plays them, and if they're being occupied with players.  I disagree though about making it a sustaining power, racial powers shouldn't be sustainable.  I would say only make it till the end of your next turn or until it gets hit.  That should give you one turn at least to attack a foe maybe two, or may draw some attacks away from allies, would be decent enough for a turn.  Or just do a completely different power and take the idea for Thrall Creation and make it its own paragon path. 
The recent Psionic Power if you haven't seen it gave Psions a paragon path that gives them a thrall similar in control to the ranger's beast companion meaning it takes your actions.  That might be a better option because then you can build the paragon around using the thrall better and since some people might not care about a thrall and such, it leaves it up to them if they want to take that path and get a thrall or not.  I know a couple of my fellow players that never will want to have a familiar, animal companion, or ask for a second companion character because they just don't like that thing.
Considering how weak the thrall will be I doubt it will cause any major problem - usually. However it might turn out a bit overpowered if you take out a major enemy early in an encounter and then wipe the floor with the rest (i.e. an elite and some regular monsters).

I'd make it an attack vs/ Will, reliable. That way you'll get to use it, but taking over the toughest enemy might not always work.
I agree with most of the above. I also do not feel that there is anything wrong with creating a(n) (undead?) minion as long as their is some check in play to keep you from abusing that power. As with most dominating powers I would limit him to at-will basics. And although I like Sabel's idea about attack vs Will, I have difficulty justifing a dead/dying creature as having much will left.
Thank you all for your valuable input so far.

Upon consideration, I agree about reducing the speed to 6. I agree about giving it low-light vision. I agree about reducing its telepathy to 5 (though begrudgingly). I agree about the bonus to Will. I agree about the saving throw for the paragon path (changed to -5 on its next one before end of its next turn).

However, a few things to mention about the thrall creation power, which I agree I do need to tweak (not throw out entirely).

@Cazra: If I make it a sustain power, I think I should make it a sustain standard and last until the end of your turn.

@Sabelkatten: If I make it an attack power, the thing's dead, so wouldn't it get -5 to all defenses and give more certainty of success?

@Everyone reading this post: why not give the thrall a -5 penalty to all defenses all the time? After all, there's no reason why it could defend itself just as well after death as before... Most importantly, does this balance it out?
My only thought was just that it should be harder to dominate a powerful creature than a weaker one, thus making it an attack (against Will, logically). Just what the hit chance is doesn't really matter for that, thought I figure it still ought to be resonably good...

As for the thrall being to powerful, well it's Dominated so at-will powers are the only ones allowed. Only one HP means it should go down pretty quickly as well.

If you don't have to use any actions to command the Thrall I suppose a defense penalty might be resonable as well, thought I think an attack penalty might be better - a -5 attack penalty means the Thrall should hit about half as often as a normal attack, and with normal defenses it should go down in two rounds if one enemy attacks it.
Thank you for your comments. I think because the creature will be dead, I don't think it matters how powerful it was. Therefore, also, I have decided I want to keep it a static effect without an attack.

I think you're right about the penalty to attack rolls. However, as the creature will already be granting combat advantage, have 1 hit point, be weakened, and have one action per turn, I feel that a -2 penalty to attack rolls is all that is required.

Further, I would like to consider the number of monsters that have bursts and blasts which would kill the thrall outright. A monster, depending on what it is, wouldn't always need to go out of its way to kill the thrall.
I think you missunderstood me - while the creature might be dead (should it be dead? isn't it actually mind control rather than "raise dead"? I.e. it should only work on KO'd targets?) and thus be essentially as hard to control no matter what it was, it's a larger in-game benefit to dominate a powerful creature than a weak one.

I think it would be easier to keep the power balanced if it's more likely to take over a little goblin than a dragon!
I think you missunderstood me - while the creature might be dead (should it be dead? isn't it actually mind control rather than "raise dead"? I.e. it should only work on KO'd targets?) and thus be essentially as hard to control no matter what it was, it's a larger in-game benefit to dominate a powerful creature than a weak one.

I think it would be easier to keep the power balanced if it's more likely to take over a little goblin than a dragon!

I did misunderstand, sorry. And, yes, I do intend for the creature to have just died and you're controlling it like a puppet master. As far as the balancing issue, I think it that is up to the rhythm of an encounter and how a player chooses to use the power. If the party chooses to focus on the big guy in an encounter and play smart, not to mention getting lucky and actually killing the big guy first, I feel the party should be rewarded.

On the other hand, if its a solo fight, the power is essentially worthless anyway. Also, not to mention, the power works on your allies as well.
OK, I see your point. And you're very right about solo encounters, that balances the power quite a bit as well.

Btw, I've got a friend who'd love the idea of using it on his allies! Laughing
I think I managed to solve the problem of "Mind Flayers are evil" and "this **** is too overpowered". Check out my playable Illithid (see signature) if you want a heroic non-overpowered Illithid that plays just as well as all the other races. I've got feats, utility powers and backgrounds.
For those who like the "transformed slowly into an Illithid"-saga, there is also a link on a paragon path called Illithid Freedmind which is the slow transformation from any race to Mind Flayer in ten levels.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
New update, and another one one the way. Check sig for link.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Sign In to post comments