Dear Wizards, Please consider Icons packs of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and others.

Back in the day with D&D Minis "1.0", there were a number of Dragon Icons released: the Gargantuan Blue and the Black, the Colossal Red, and the IcingDeath pack with Drizzt and Wulfgar.  And today there's the Orcus pack. 

With the exception of Drizzt and Wufgar though, each Icons pack has presented a figure far, far more likely to be purchased as a Collectors item than as anything usable for D&D purposes.  They're just too big.  The only time a group of player characters are going to need a figurine on the tabletop of a Gargantuan or Colossal dragon or, Heaven help them, Orcus is when they are in serious, serious trouble and probably not long for this world.  Wizards must feel there's a market for them, but please consider that there might also be a healthy market for Collectors' Packs featuring groups of big name characters from the various D&D settings, all in standard D&D miniatures scale.

A small "Heroes of the Lance" Icons pack could feature maybe a dozen of the most important characters from the original Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy: Sturm, Tasslehoff Burfoot, Riverwind & Goldmoon, etc.  Heck, several of the character slots to be filled wouldn't even need new sculpts.  WotC has already previously released wonderfully detailed collectible miniatures of 2 of the heroes: Tanis Half-Elven (the Free League Ranger) from the Blood War set and Raistlin Majere from the Night Below set.  Raistlin's sculpt alone could fill 2 slots in such a product since Dragonlance fans would love to have a prepainted miniature of him in both his red robes AND of him in his black robes when he had finally "turned to the Dark Side".  Voila!  3 slots filled right there with already sculpted minis Wizards already owns.

The rest of the slots could be the rest of the Heroes of the Lance:
Sturm Brightblade
Tasslehoff Burfoot
Flint Fireforge
Goldmoon
Riverwind
Caramon Majere
Tika Waylan
Laurana
and finally Kitiara Majere, the Dragon Highlord.
Counting red-robed Raistlin, black-robed Raistlin, and Tanis, that's a cool dozen characters that Dragonlance fans have been desperately pining for for years.

But even more, it's not simply a set that appeals to Dragonlance fans.  All the figures would be standard sized D&D miniatures and perfectly usable for RPG purposes.  The characters present a nice variety of character types that any D&D setting might have.  Sturm Brightblade is basically a knight in stylized armor.  Goldmoon and Riverwind are female and male barbarians.  Flint's a dwarf, and Tasslehoff is a halfling.  Caramon is a musclebound warrior.  They're figures that could actually show up on a regular basis on the tabletop, unlike a gargantuan dragon or Orcus.

And why stop with Dragonlance?  There are certainly enough highly desired characters from the Forgotten Realms setting to justify such a pack for even more non-gargantuan miniatures too.  And again, some of Wizards' work would already be done for them on such a product.  There are already a number of nicely detailed sculpts that Wizards has released in the D&D Miniatures collectible line for Drizzt Do'Urden, Wulfgar, Guenyvhar, Artemis Entreri and others.  Maybe a "Heroes of the Forgotten Realms" Icons pack featuring not only those characters and Bruenor but also new, not previously released characters such as Cattie-Brie, Regis, or Jarlaxle could be produced?

There has to be fan interest in such a product.  I myself bought IcingDeath when he originally came out, not really for him, but mainly for the figures of Drizzt and Wulfgar who I didn't have at the time.  And I'd buy another such pack if it had nicely detailed figures of characters like Cattie Brie or Regis or Jarlaxle in it.  Surely I can't be the only one?
Wizards tried player character packs and said they failed.  But they did not need to do character packs they just needed to do a few more character minis in each set and make standard characters that looked like famous characters and as you said, The characters present a nice variety of character types that any D&D setting might have.   
Smile Yes, the PC packs may not have sold too well, but these wouldn't really be PC packs.  They'd really be Icons packs or Collectors' packs in the same way that the Orcus pack is or that the Gargantuan Dragons were, only, instead of one big, highly desired character or monster, they'd contain a number of smaller, standard sized figures based on highly desired characters from the various novels.

They could appeal to the same customers who did buy the PC packs, but they would also have a large draw for the fans of the novels who couldn't care less about a pack full of generic player characters but would pull their wallets out right quick for a box of well sculpted and prepainted figures of their favorite characters from the bestselling novels they've read and love.  Both Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms have got characters with such a draw.  It could really work.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, some of the characters they might release in such packs have already been produced in earlier minis sets so some of the work needed is already finished.

I'm a huge fan of the original Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies, and I've been waiting years for D&Dminis of the Heroes of the Lance.  To date, I've gotten only two.  I know I'm not the only DL fan who would be happy to blow money on this if Wizards would just make it, rather than waiting a few more years with a vague hope that they might make one or two more as random singles...  eventually...  someday...  maybe...
I would buy a Dragonlance Icon pack or 3, especially since I missed out on Raistlin.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Druid (5th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength-16
Dexterity-13
Constitution-17
Intelligence-15
Wisdom-16
Charisma-14

Alignment:
Neutral Good A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. However, neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible. Druids receive divine spells from nature, not the gods, and can gain an array of powers as they gain experience, including the ability to take the shapes of animals. The weapons and armor of a druid are restricted by their traditional oaths, not simply training. A druid's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

I would buy a Dragonlance Icon pack or 3, especially since I missed out on Raistlin.

Exactly! Smile

Raistlin's mini is a darn cool figure too.  They did a really nice job with him.  And with Tanis as well, even as a generic piece for the skirmish game.  I'd happily buy them both over again if I could just get the rest of the Companions with them.
I'd  buy these.
Anyone else?

(Hmmm.  These forums are so much quieter than they used to be way back when the skirmish games were going on.)
By current standards, you have gotten an overwhelming response. Too bad that this forum has dried up a bit. It was a great conduit for recruiting potential new Skirmishers out of the RPG ranks, and vice versa, I'm sure.
I'd buy them, but that's not saying much... I'd buy DDM's of the Seinfeld cast if WotC made them!

But, I'm sure they would be popular among collectors and fans.