8/20/2010 LD: "Triple Mulligan"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Leyline of Anticipation messes with opponents who plan to use lots of countermagic against you.

So the blue leyline that is most useful in a deck with lots of countermagic was designed to protect against lots of countermagic?

This reminds me of some of the comments about Bitterblossom, the faerie enchantment which was costed at two mana in order to help players slip in it undernerath the countermagic in faeries decks.
When I first say Leyline of Anticipation, I had big dreams of dropping bit fat green creatures at end of turn.  Or maybe as a surprise blocker....    Seems like fun.
"Worldwake was intended to slow the format down some to compensate, but one pack of Worldwake could only do so much."

Yeah, you know what would help with that Pillboy?  Start making second-set drafts happen as ZEN/WWK/WWK for example, preferably also making the second set slightly larger instead of the third.  Seriously, has anyone in Magic even thought about the fact that a person who drafted once for each set in Ravnica block saw six packs of Ravnica and only one of Dissension, but Dissension was more than half the size?  Why do you hate third sets?  Let them shine!  And second sets too!  Stop letting the big set overshadow the entire rest of the year, especially given that it's not as big as it used to be before Shards.

Also, the biggest problem with Leyline of Haste isn't that it lets RDW kill one turn faster (bad enough though that is) - it's that absolutely nothing about the card keeps this keynote red ability from ending up in a white weenie deck.  It would need to read something like "All creatures you control have haste as long as you control a Mountain" or it and any number of similar cards would render the color pie basically irrelevant.  Sets with no color pie suck; everyone just plays Five-Color Goodstuff and it's boring to face identical decks over and over.

The "zero, one, six, or seven" mulligan is a problem outside of an office environment for one simple reason - either you can lie and get free mulligans off a two-land hand, or you have to give away your secrets to prove the legitimacy of your claim, so your opponent knows you have Stabbing Pain and holds that Elite Vanguard in his hand until after Honor of the Pure is out.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I didn't forget the previous paragraphs when I mulliganed the article... so it's like I was allowed to draw 7, then 6, then 5, then 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 cards, for a total of 28 cards in my opening hand.  :P
Leyline of Anticipation is my favorite, mostly for the dream of starting with it and then never playing a spell on my turn again. I don't think I'd put them in my decks if I had any copies, but it's beautiful to imagine the possibilities.
Leyline of Anticipation is my favorite, mostly for the dream of starting with it and then never playing a spell on my turn again. I don't think I'd put them in my decks if I had any copies, but it's beautiful to imagine the possibilities.

I had it in a Limited draft deck, I got to start with it out in game 3, round 1, I was really excited about getting to play surprise blockers, etc, but then my opponent had a turn two War Priest of Thune.  He hadn't seen any enchantments from me, he was just running it as a bear.  So annoying.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Makes me sad to see a member of R&D finding fault with RGD Limited like that. It's one of the best draft formats you guys have ever made. There are plenty of good aggressive decks in that format - if you're managing to win off a lone Train of Thought your opponents have done something horribly wrong!
Leyline of Anticipation messes with opponents who plan to use lots of countermagic against you.

So the blue leyline that is most useful in a deck with lots of countermagic was designed to protect against lots of countermagic?

This reminds me of some of the comments about Bitterblossom, the faerie enchantment which was costed at two mana in order to help players slip in it undernerath the countermagic in faeries decks.

play blue or die! Frown

It's not like blue has an enemy colour or anything.

I like the Leylines in general, but I have to wonder: will anyone actually vote Leyline of Lightning as their favorite?

I like the Leylines in general, but I have to wonder: will anyone actually vote Leyline of Lightning as their favorite?

Actually, the red and blue ones were the only leylines from Ravnica that I ever tried to play with. Sadly I never got the Leyline of Lightning + Eye of the Storm deck to work...
While Leyline of the Void is the one that's been the most helpful to me in tournaments, it is so obvious that it will win the poll for that same reason that it doesn't need my vote! I chose Leyline of the Meek because of the fondness I have for the token decks I made both in the Ravnica era and recently. Right now, it has its place of choice in my Rhys the Redeemed EDH deck. I do not get it in my opening hand often, obviously, but it's only sweeter when it does happen, and otherwise, it's one more Anthem effect when I draw it later. I've been thinking about putting Leyline of Vitality in that deck as well, but I'm unsure of whether it's really worth it.

Otherwise, while I didn't get to play it myself, I also could have voted for the cool and combo-rific Leyline of Singularity. I liked the concept of playing it with the Hunted creatures of Ravnica such as Hunted Phantasm. Also, in a Legacy tournament I played last weekend, a guy made top 8 with a WU deck based on Karakas and used the Leyline to be able to bounce opposing creatures. Genius!

The most disapointing Leyline for me is Leyline of Punishment. I did try it to not lose to Kor Firewalker with Red Deck Wins in Standard, but it's such a flawed solution. It often costs you a card to do nothing on its own, diluting your aggression, and it can be easily Celestial Purge'd without having done anything. I long for an active anti-lifegain card like the good old Sulfuric Vortex.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

It's not like blue has an enemy colour or anything.

Any deck can play a leyline from its opening hand, sure. But the fact remains that blue counter-based decks are the ones best suited to use the card.

I had it in a Limited draft deck, I got to start with it out in game 3, round 1, I was really excited about getting to play surprise blockers, etc, but then my opponent had a turn two War Priest of Thune. He hadn't seen any enchantments from me, he was just running it as a bear. So annoying.

War Priest of Thune is one of my top hated cards in m11 (it obsoletes Kami of Ancient Law for many purposes), and it didn't occur to me until just now that it was made to hate on Leylines.  I wish wizards would stop making dumb aggro decks so good and creative tricky decks so bad.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
The big problem of the new Leyline cycle is the need to satisfy Melvin with it. Deciding in advance that all cards should cost four with two colored just to mirror the old ones and satisfy someone's aesthetical senses doomed them. Four mana asks for an effect that is too big to start the game with, therefore creating the swingyness problem. Effects at three mana could have been significant enough to be worthy of starting the game with.

If they were going to create reactive cards, at least they coud make them all good (the white one is perfect, however). Leyline of punishment is a do nothing card on its own, it needed something like dealing damage on the upkeep like Sulfuric Vortex to be any good and its effect is too little for four mana (could have cost RR). I don't see the probem with haste anyway. Red creatures already have haste so that is redundant and haste doesn't have sinergy with landfall, so RW bushwacker doesn't benefit, it woudn't have broken anything but it could easily been the most favorite of the cycle.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

Mox Sapphire and Lotus Petal. Cast Summoner's Pact for Protean Hulk. Cast Flash. Put Protean Hulk into play, then let it die. Search for three Virulent Slivers and a Heart Sliver, put them onto the battlefield, and attack for twelve poison counters. Bang, you're dead. Rich's deck didn't have Force of Will in it, so that was that.

This seems utterly lame, but even crazier things were possible at the same time.

The only lame thing about that is the deck that didn't have Force of Will in it.